1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

F1 2021 SEASON: NEWS - RUMOURS

Discussion in 'Formula 1' started by ched999uk, Oct 28, 2020.

1. El_Bando

El_Bando Can't remember, where was I?
    Forum Moderator

Will be interesting to see if they are still at the top after 2022 reg changes.

Maybe a good idea to keep him in to develop during first few years maybe get Russell in too as an understudy but...

Is Hamilton really going to be the same potency in 2 years?

Justjazz likes this.
  2. eddie_squidd

eddie_squidd Well-Known Member

There has been talk for a while of the wisdom of letting George learn from Hamilton. A two year handover?

3. eddie_squidd

4. Big Ern

Big Ern Lord, Master, Guru & Emperor

looking at Alonso, I don't see why not.

5. SgtBhaji

SgtBhaji Well-Known Member

Well... Err....

6. SgtBhaji

So now they decide look at Perez / Lando... The stewards watching on delay?

7. eddie_squidd

I would be very upset to see him penalised. Even Horner didn’t think anything was amiss. As he pointed out, last year Albon tried the same move with the same result.

Number 1 Jasper likes this.
  8. Number 1 Jasper

Number 1 Jasper Well-Known Member

Are you on the right thread ?

9. eddie_squidd

Nope. I blame Sarge! :bandit:

Number 1 Jasper and Big Ern like this.
  10. SgtBhaji

Hahahah. Thought it was quite. :)

11. Justjazz

Justjazz Well-Known Member

Keeping Bottas at Merc next year could be a gos idea given the need for a driver who can develop the car, although not sure Bottas would be any different to Lewis in that regard.

12. TopClass

TopClass Well-Known Member

Australian GP cancelled again.

Whilst I’m sad as I love the Australia event, it’s good to see a country applying some complete common sense to the pandemic situation.

If only we had strong and decisive leadership- unlike bumbling Boris importing additional variants into the mix <sigh>

We will be reopening society with the situation at 50,000 cases per day whilst Aus and NZ have managed it to next to nothing.

Some very different approaches across the globe that’s for sure.

I hate to say this but I half expect a short winter lockdown after they’ve squeezed every last pound Sterling out of the economy this summer whilst they can. They basically told us last night that opening at these levels in the winter would be even worse, so unless the vaccination of our under 30s stems the case numbers, i see them needing to take action in the winter to get stuff simmered down (4-6 week snap lockdown)

Here’s hoping medical advances make things easier and better for us all.

13. Justjazz

I know this isn't F1 but I have strong opinions on this. My eldest daughter was hospitalised the day after boxing day last year, straight into ICU after assessment. The consultant didn't think she would survive, even 12 hours. Thankfully she did, but only because of experimental drugs. She has long COVID now but is improving. A dreadful week of uncertainty and unable to be there, just updates from her nurse who was very compassionate. My daughter has lost her job and with it sick pay.
    I tripple F hate the government handling of certain aspects. She was a care home worker. No PPE when it was obviously needed. No isolation for hospital discharged patients. The Care home owners don't really care, it was money in their pockets that mattered and despite staff begging for PPE the care homes said it wasn't necessary by law. I raised it with the local MP (Labour), nothing, he didn't even reply.
    I think the government are wrong to relax mask wearing. Lacking common sense, just as they did with Care Homes.
    I am debating in my mind a class action for the failure to protect staff in the care industry. My daughter caught COVID at work.
    Back to F1 now.

TopClass, DHCanary, SgtBhaji and 2 others like this.
  14. Number 1 Jasper

Number 1 Jasper Well-Known Member

I agree with what you say , but it would also help I feel if Australia started a big vaccination programme .

15. SgtBhaji

Totally get their cautious approach and way better than we're handling things at present, but wish they could find a way to make it happen sans fans...but, it's just a race, and doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things.

Number 1 Jasper and ched999uk like this.
  16. SgtBhaji

Blimey... I hope she can get over the long-term symptoms soon. Sorry to hear that. Must have been frightening as hell.

17. Justjazz

She is a mother of three children, that made her fight like hell. The main drug that saved her was a drug they use to treat Gout. Used to reduce inflammation, in very high doses it has shown itself to help those with COVID. Her sat reading was down at 60, organ failure territory. Not a pleasant time. She is having good days and bad days but improving slowly. She may be fit to work in a year. She is a phlebotomist but now unemployed, which is a crime in my view.

Be interesting to see if Australia is replaced with another venue. We are 8 races in, with 13, maybe 12 to go. I am pleasantly surprised to see how well Lewis has taken the early losses this season.

18. TopClass

TopClass Well-Known Member

Blimey mate that must have been terrifying. Wishing you all well and hopefully she can recover from long Covid. I fully agree with you on the lack of protection provided- we were so underprepared for this it defies belief. I believe we need more science community at the upper levels of government to lead the way and get ahead of curves.

I was reading about the treatments recently and saw the gout treatment named as one of the options tried. I am hoping we begin to see more and more successful ways to treat it.

19. Justjazz

The whole family rallied in support, doing what families do. Long COVID is real. Lung damage shows up on x rays. In her case she has blood supply and no indication of a blood clot so they are hopeful the lung (mostly the right one) will repair over time. Hair falling out too, fortunately she had loads so no bald patches as yet.

20. Mr.B

Mr.B Well-Known Member

Sorry this isn't F1-related, but I thought I'd give the NZ perspective...

Speaking from NZ, the government here did a great job of jumping on it really quickly and not letting it take hold.
    We went into full lockdown early, and stayed in lockdown until a fortnight after community transmission had fallen to zero. (Or was it a week? I can't remember, it was so long ago.)
    Since then we've had the occasional increase in lockdown levels in specific parts of the country, but most of the time we've lived pretty normally.
    Some stats (since the very first NZ case about 16 months ago):
    • Total confirmed cases: 2408
    • Total probable cases: 356
    • Total fatalities: 26
    • Current cases: 41 (all are 'at the border' i.e. detected sometime during their mandatory Managed Isolation, so they have to stay in isolation centres until they've recovered.)

So that's great, but the vaccination programme - not so much.
    We're quite a long way behind targets and, with so few people vaccinated, we're just as vulnerable as we ever were. That's why we (and Australia) are extra-cautious about any outbreak.

Example: a few weeks ago a bloke flew into Wellington for a weekend, and tested positive on his return to Sydney. It was confirmed that he caught it before he came to NZ, and might have been contagious while he was here.
    He visited quite a few places in those two days, so Wellington went into Level 2 restrictions. Level 2 isn't very restrictive, but it also shows that decisive action is probably easier (politically) in our situation than elsewhere in the world.
    It's pretty easy to sell the message "We don't have any Covid in our community, and this precaution will help keep it this way." Not so easy when you already have 30k new cases each day. The horse has bolted etc.

Justjazz - sorry to hear about that horrific experience. I'm glad she's on the mend. Best wishes to you and to her and to everyone affected.
    (And the same for any of you who have been affected, directly or indirectly.)

Justjazz, TopClass, ched999uk and 2 others like this.