1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

F1 2022 SEASON: NEWS - RUMOURS

Discussion in 'Formula 1' started by ched999uk, Jul 15, 2021.

1. Big Ern

Big Ern Lord, Master, Guru & Emperor

I disagree, you can see if someone has it when they're in a **** car, Vettel, Ricci, Alonso, Kimi, Charlie-boy all looked the real-deal when they were at the back, Schumacher, not impressed at all.

Justjazz likes this.
  2. SgtBhaji

SgtBhaji Well-Known Member

Yup. Seems all the pieces of this are being given their own moment.

Super excited for next season already and to see how Russell matches up to Hamilton. I feel they could be pretty close.

We've reached the point where the changing of the guard is almost complete. Max, Leclerc, Russell... All potential future champs in top teams.

Hopefully Bottas will be happier in a position of being a team lead rather than the rear gunner. Hope they can give him a half decent car.

3. SgtBhaji

Maybe. That car is an absolute bucket though. Not sure anyone could squeeze a top performance out of it.

4. Big Ern

Russell isn't ready, too many unforced mistakes

5. eddie_squidd

eddie_squidd Well-Known Member

Don’t forget Norris. He’s been stellar this year.

6. eddie_squidd

Hamilton and Verstappen made plenty of mistakes in good cars on their way to being top drivers. It’s part of the process. George will learn a great deal from Hamilton, more than he would at Williams.

7. SgtBhaji

Yup. Hopefully McLaren can continue their upward trend next season and get him in the fight for wins.

Really hoping all the cars are close in performance next season and not just one getting it right. *Fingers crossed"

8. Quite Possibly Raving

Quite Possibly Raving Well-Known Member

Nice message from Hamilton for Bottas. I get the impression his respect and liking for Bottas goes beyond just Bottas being a 'beatable' teammate (although that no doubt helps a lot). He seems to really like him.

9. DHCanary

DHCanary Very Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

At every stage of his career, Mick seems to have clicked in his second season in a series. Whilst he hasn't stepped up a level and been right on the pace like those top talents, his title winning seasons have been impressive, and he certainly hasn't won titles after 4 or 5 seasons like others.

F3: 12th (94 points) with no wins, 1 podium and one pole in his first season. Second season? 1st with 8 wins, 14 podiums, 7 poles and 365 points.

F2: 12th (53 points) with 1 win, 1 podium. Followed by winning the championship with 215 points in his second season, with 2 wins and 10 podiums.

Mazepin's junior record isn't terrible, I remember many thinking he'd have the beating of Mick in at least the first half of this season, before Mick adapted. But that hasn't happened. So I don't think Mick can be written off just yet, but he needs to be outperforming Mazepin by a visible margin next year if he's going to convince people he can be more than a backmarker.

ched999uk and SgtBhaji like this.
  10. ched999uk

ched999uk Well-Known Member

I agree. I am a little bit concerned by Red Bull they seem to be still developing their car - as they should to try and win a championship but hopefully it's not at the expense of a dud for 2022. Unless they are using Alpha TarWhatEver's budget to do a large proportion of the grunt work. Then again Alpha have been doing very well with Gasly.
    I do hope that it's not a one horse race again from 2022. I think for the first time in a good few years there are likely to be maybe 6 young drivers who seem to have the skills to win - hopefully their teams give them decent cars.

SgtBhaji likes this.

11. SgtBhaji

Both F1 and Indycar have an amazing crop of young drivers right now. Bloody love it. :)

DHCanary and ched999uk like this.
  12. El_Bando

El_Bando Can't remember, where was I?
    Forum Moderator

I think and hope Ferrari and mclaren will be in the mix next year capitalising on Mercedes and Red Bull fighting it out this year.

ched999uk, Big Ern and TopClass like this.
  13. TopClass

TopClass Well-Known Member

Really hope so, or at the least taking the fight to the front.

14. DHCanary

DHCanary Very Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Russell confirmed on a multi-year deal, even if Toto is trying to gloss over the contract length.

Feels harsh on Bottas that they've given him what they never gave Valterri, but I think Russell would have been eyeing up a Red Bull seat had Bottas ever been given a multi year deal

15. eddie_squidd

Russell is just a different proposition for them. He has been chosen to lead that team in a year or two when Lewis has gone, so it's natural they'd give him a multi year deal.

16. Big Ern

Why would Redbull hire Russell when they have Perez & Gasly? George is good on a Saturday, but come Sunday he chokes when it looks as if he's on for a decent result.
    The new Mansell.

17. TopClass

TopClass Well-Known Member

That tap on the shoulder from Horner said a lot to me- I do believe RBR were asking the question about George and then once it became clear Merc were gonna bring him in, they knew the safe option was stick with Perez.

18. Mr.B

Mr.B Well-Known Member

I expect Bhaji has just felt a disturbance in the force. :redface:

SgtBhaji, Justjazz, DHCanary and 5 others like this.
  19. Number 1 Jasper

Number 1 Jasper Well-Known Member

<laugh>

SgtBhaji likes this.
  20. ched999uk

ched999uk Well-Known Member

I do have a couple of concerns about George. Don't get me wrong I think he's a great driver. My concerns are that he is still making a few too many mistakes and the the British public or more likely the media will just expect too much from him on day 1 at Merc.
    I think his first season at Merc will be a learning year and his 2nd will be the real George.
    I hope he does very well.
    It's so great to see so many of the younger guys now driving what should be top running cars. With the new cars and tyres next year it's building to be very exciting.

Justjazz and Number 1 Jasper like this.