1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic FA Cup 2021

Discussion in 'Preston' started by themaclad, Nov 29, 2020.

1. themaclad

themaclad Well-Known Member

Almost time for annual short quick dip into FA Cup folklore

2. themaclad

please log in to view this image

3. themaclad

v

HEAD TO HEAD IN CUPS

Two FA Cup meetings both at Adams Park we won both 1-0 on 7/12/2013 and last time 5-1 on 6/1/2018

Went to the second of these think I had the forerunner of Covid that day should not really have gone, felt like crap all the way through on what was a sodding cold day

or the third time in eight years the Lilywhites will travel to Adams Park for a cup tie, as Preston North End take on Gareth Ainsworth’s Wycombe Wanderers in the Emirates FA Cup third round.

Both sides will see it as an opportunity to get through and for a good cup run, in a season where a lot of big clubs may choose to utilise their squads to their full potential.

The two teams only met last month, playing out a 2-2 draw at Deepdale, although their last meeting in the cup was in 2018, when the League Two Chairboys were defeated 5-1, with Alan Browne and Josh Harrop both getting a brace and now Wycombe winger Daryl Horgan grabbing the other.

The game is being played behind closed doors, but is available to watch for free on the FA’s Player service, with more details below.

Team News
    Manager Alex Neil could hand a debut to new loan signings Jayson Molumby and Daniel Iversen, subject to governing body ratification of the transfers.

The manager also said that Ben Pearson is getting closer to fitness, after getting injured against the Chairboys at Deepdale at the beginning of December.

Declan Rudd is out, after getting injured in training and will join Louis Moult, Billy Bodin and Patrick Bauer on the sidelines.

Gareth Ainsworth could hand a debut to loan signing from Leicester City Admiral Muskwe. The striker joining from the Foxes for the rest of the season this week.

Match Officials
    A late change of match official sees Stephen Martin take the whistle for Saturday’s Emirates FA Cup tie.

It is Steve’s second PNE match of the season, having done the Carabao Cup tie with Brighton back in September.

Last season he did four PNE games, his last being the the win over Birmingham City in the final home game of the season. He was also the match official for our opening day game down at Millwall, the 1-0 victory over Birmingham at St Andrews and the 3-2 comeback victory over Blackburn Rovers.

Steve also had whistle for the Millwall away game in 2018/19, when Alex Neil’s men came out 3-1 winners, back in February 2019 at The Den. That was one of the match official’s three games officiating North End that season, the others being PNE’s wins at Nottingham Forest and at home to Ipswich Town – that visit to PR1 being back in April 2019, when we ran out 4-0 winners.

Since coming onto the EFL lists back in 2012/13, the Staffordshire referee has officiated many North End games, at least one a season for all the years he has been on the league groupings.

His first game was a goalless draw against Leyton Orient back in March 2013, whilst other memorable games include our 3-0 win at Havant & Waterlooville in the FA Cup in 2014, when Callum Robinson scored a hat-trick, a 3-0 home win over Cardiff City in 2016 and a 3-1 win at Oldham’s Boundary Park in 2014.

This is his 18th game of the season, having also refereed Wycombe once, in a goalless draw at home to Huddersfield Town, issuing 34 cautions and no red cards in his previous 17 games. He will be assisted by Graham Kane and Stephen Brown, whilst Alan Young will be fourth official.

Opposition View
    Gareth Ainsworth said: ““It’s another old club of mine which is always nice, and obviously it’s a club we know a fair bit about after playing against them last month in the league.

“Looking back at it, I think we should have won that game – they threw everything at us at the end got their point, but overall I don’t think they’re a team that is a million miles away from us and now we go into the cup match looking to be strong, attacking and good enough to make it to the next round.

“Some might say this is a distraction from the league for us but it’s just another game that we want to win. In all my years as a player, playing in all sorts of different competitions, I don’t remember ever going into a game thinking anything other than ‘I want to win this game of football’.

“We want to pick up momentum and get back into that winning habit that we can take into the league games, and as well as that, I want to be able to give this club a cup run for the fans, the players, staff and owners too.”

MACS VIEW

My first FA Cup game was about 1970 Notts Forest at home well over 20,000 both sides played full first team no resting players in those days, all 32 third round ties were played on the same day kicking off at 3 pm
    Over the years the cup has been treated as an after thought, cubs putting out weaker sides, crowds have diminished and the old competition seems to have lost it's magic,
    A couple of seasons ago thanks the medium of foreign TV games began to kick at varying times on a Saturday, even had to play our third round tie against Doncaster on a Sunday afternoon so people could watch it Taiwan or somewhere like.
    This year it's Covid so ther is an excuse but this year no replays and if they get away with it this season you can bet your sweet bottom they will do it next season
    Fair play to the Beeb every game bar three is being shown on their interactive service, guess which game is one of teh three that is not being shown, yep us

Anyway the match, not be easy Gareth's team will give a 100% as per usual, we are apparently putting out a stronger than usual side, could be extra time and penalties this one anyway does give me an excuse to show a picture of John Motson in the snow at Wycombe

mowgli1960 and Guywanderer like this.
  4. barnetpne

barnetpne Well-Known Member

Lawro predicts 1 - 1, NE winning on penalties.

I remember one match against Bolton at 'Dale which ended up 0-3 to Bolton!

The next one was against Forest when Kendall hit a super shot to win the match for NE 1=0 in extra-time. It was snowing. Got to the final that year.

5. themaclad

A couple of years before I arrived in the area only rocked up in 1966

6. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

The last, and only, time I watched a match between our two clubs, we won 4-2 at Wembley. Gareth was playing for you then

Hope it's an enjoyable game and no-one gets injured

barnetpne and themaclad like this.
  7. themaclad

8. themaclad

Could be a short thread 1 down

9. themaclad

Great start 2 down

10. themaclad

11. themaclad

Riis pen 3-1

12. themaclad

13. barnetpne

barnetpne Well-Known Member

I watched it on FAPlayer. Ainsworth got his tactics right. Played a full strength squad and played to its strengths. NE not 'at the races'. Earl outpaced, the midfield disconnected. Storey/Hughes and Stockley/Riis poor combinations. Disappointing but rather beat Wycombe 1-4 @ Adams Pk in the Championship. Not bad that FAPlayer. Don't suppose it streams Championship games.

14. themaclad

No does not stream Championship games and give you a tip do n ot waste money on I Follow

Three years on the trot we've been dumped out at the third round, Neil less than impressed with it

Goals from Fred Onyedinma, a Joe Jacobson penalty, Josh Knight and Alex Samuel put Wycombe Wanderers in the fourth round of the Emirates FA Cup.

Emil Riis did score from the penalty spot just before half-time to give the Lilywhites hope, after going three down in first half, but the Chairboys completed their win in the last ten minutes.

Alex Neil made seven changes to the side that played a week prior against Nottingham Forest, with Andrew Hughes – one of the four to remain in the team – named captain for the first time. Jayson Molumby was also handed a start after completing his loan move from Brighton & Hove Albion earlier in the week.

The home side came out of the blocks quickly and took the lead after less than three minutes, new loan signing Admiral Muskwe getting away on the right touchline, putting a deep cross up for Onyedinma to head across goal into the bottom right-hand corner.

And on nine minutes, they had a chance to double that lead as Josh Earl was adjudged to have brought down Uche Ikpeazu on the right edge of the penalty area; Jacobson stepping up and firing the penalty right down the middle with power to make it 2-0.

In the 12th minute, North End went close to pulling one back as Ryan Ledson delivered a free kick from the left corner of the penalty area and Ryan Allsop palmed it out, but only as far as Hughes, the skipper’s header going towards the top left corner, until the Chairboys’ No.1 intervened and made a fingertip save to push the ball away.

But the home side made it three on 25 minutes, when a free kick from 40 yards by Jacobson was played into the box, finding Jason McCarthy, who pulled the ball back to the penalty spot, where Knight swept the ball into the goal.

An excellent stop from Ripley from a Jacobson corner on the half hour mark, prevented a fourth. The home side claimed it had gone straight in, but the goal-line technology proved it was a very good punch away by the PNE No.25.

On 42 minutes, North End had a chance to pull one back as Brad Potts sent Riis through down the right, Allsop coming out and bringing down the Dane and getting booked. Riis stepped up himself and sent the keeper the wrong way, firing into the bottom right-hand corner to make it 3-1.

The manager made a double change at the break, Alan Browne and Paul Huntington on for Josh Earl and Tom Bayliss, with Browne also taking the armband.

Ten minutes into the second period and Allsop made a good save to keep out a deflected effort off his own man, Jacobson, after Browne’s cross from the left side of the box was chested down by Riis, deflecting off the left back towards the bottom left-hand corner.

Two good stops from Ripley kept out Ikpeazu and Onyedinma with just less than 20 minutes left as the freezing fog descended on Adams Park, with the game very open as North End fought to get back within one of Gareth Ainsworth’s side.

Darnell Fisher and Sean Maguire were added for the last 15 minutes in the thickening fog, Joe Rafferty and Molumby giving way, but it was Samuel on for Wycombe who had the next chance, sent through by fellow change Adebayo Akinfenwa, only for Ripley to make a fine one-on-one stop.

As the game entered the last ten minutes, a great move down the left saw Hughes exchange a one-two with Potts, before crossing for Stockley to head on target, but straight into the arms of Allsop.

But on the counter from that chance, the home side completed the win with eight minutes left. Former PNE winger Daryl Horgan put the ball in for Samuel to again go through and this time complete the finish into the bottom right-hand corner.

PNE kept chasing and Browne saw a free kick blocked, before Potts’ follow-up volley was deflected behind for a corner that Jordan Storey headed wide of the left-hand post from ten yards out.

Horgan, who had scored in a 5-1 win for PNE at the same ground in 2018, almost made it that score with three minutes left, his left foot curler from outside the penalty area coming back off the left-hand post, Onyedinma firing the rebound over the bar.

Chances kept coming as Potts headed over the bar from around the penalty spot, after a ball in from the right corner of the box by Fisher in the final minute of normal time.

And then in injury time, Horgan put the ball behind to prevent Browne adding a PNE second from Fisher’s pull back, before Ledson then fired over from the second of two resulting corners, but it remained 4-1.

Wycombe Wanderers line-up: Allsop, Jacobson, Tafazolli, Wheeler, Ikpeazu (Akinfenwa, 76), Bloomfield (c) (Horgan, 57), Knight, Muskwe (Samuel, 75), Onyedinma, Adeniran (Gape, 66), McCarthy. Subs not used: Stockdale, Grimmer, Kashket, Charles, Mehmeti.

PNE line-up: Ripley, Rafferty (Fisher, 74), Earl (Huntington, 46), Ledson, Storey, Hughes (c), Bayliss (Browne, 46), Molumby (Maguire, 75), Riis, Stockley, Potts. Subs not used: Hudson, Holland-Wilkinson, O’Reilly, Walker.

Referee: Mr S Martin

15. themaclad

Wycombe manager Gareth Ainsworth told BBC Three Counties Radio:

"I'm really proud of the performance today, some of the boys who haven't been playing came in and showed me what they can do so it's a team selection headache for the next game and that's what I want as manager.

"I thought Admiral had a really assured performance today, his energy levels were brilliant, he's disappointed he hasn't scored but he's assisted one and been a constant threat.

"Performances have always been good barring two or three games but we haven't stuck the ball in the goal, today we took our chances. Hopefully we can have a cup run this season."

Preston boss Alex Neil:

"To be honest, the game was done after 30 minutes. We spoke about stopping crosses, we don't stop a cross in the first three minutes of the game.

"We spoke about not getting too tight to Ikpeazu, we knew what was coming, and after eight minutes we get too tight and he gets a penalty.

"The simple fact is we gave opportunities to players who haven't been playing of late, and people ask why they haven't been playing, and I think it was quite clear today. They shouldn't have any complaints if they're not in the team for a long time."