1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

FA Cup. Really?

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by One of yer Norvern Saints, Jan 10, 2021.

1. Libby

Libby 9-0

Hold on a minute, you lot have already seen one! Let the younguns go this time ;)

2. StJabbo1

StJabbo1 Well-Known Member

It would be the second in my lifetime (and few others on here). Surely better than a blank season, a reason to be cheerful. It would give those hesitating to sign on the dotted line the nudge they need to do the deed.

Hoping there will be fans in the stadiums by then. Have a hump to get over before then when self discipline in spades will be needed.

Saints_Alive and fatletiss like this.
  3. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

Wow. I’m genuinely shocked that you think that. You’d rather it didn’t happen. I’d like to be able to dance around my living room with my son please in celebration and then milk the **** out of it for the next few years.

Yes, I’d prefer it with fans but to just say “no, **** that” is what I believe they call cutting your nose off to spite your face.

4. Ronnie Hotdog (MLsfc)

Ronnie Hotdog (MLsfc) Well-Known Member

Fair point that it makes sense to think "better win in this weird season than not at all".

I suppose my view comes from the feeling (I know it makes little sense) that if Saints win it this year then we won't win another major trophy for another 50 odd years.

Again I know that isn't a logical approach but I can't help look at it that way - plus it would feel typical if the year we win it was this year of all years.

I suppose what I should have said is that if it actually came to it and we were in the final, I would of course be supporting Saints - but if we did win, my reaction and joy at doing so would be a fraction of what it would in any other year.

5. Archers Road

Archers Road Urban Spaceman

You'd better take up that vaccine offer then.

I was 15 in 1976 btw, didn't go, and have been regretting it ever since. So I should come before all of you.

6. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

I was 6, started watching the game and then went outside to play. :(

I still remember now my mate’s mum opening up the window and shouting out, “Saints have scored” and we piled into his lounge to see.

I’m going with you. Let’s call it a date.

7. Saints_Alive

Saints_Alive Well-Known Member

I honestly don't believe it will take another 50 years for Saints to win a major trophy. When we won it the first time the club was only just establishing itself as a club capable of winning it after only a few seasons in the top flight in our history and dropping out of it. Since then we have spent the vast majority of seasons at the top level and have reached 3 finals and a few semi-finals too although the elite clubs are making it a bit harder in the modern age admittedly.

8. San Tejón

San Tejón Well-Known Member

One of you guys can have my place, not that I would qualify for a ticket.
    I am fortunate to have been at Wembley for every Saints appearance, except for the Paint Pot Trophy and the Chelsea semifinal (I was abroad and couldn’t make it) plus I made the Millennium Stadium trip, so I have had my fair share.
    I would be more than happy to watch it on the box as my success rate isn’t great, for seeing wins.

1976 FA Cup W
    1976 Community Shield L
    1979 League Cup L
    1992 ZDS Trophy L
    2003 Cup Final - Millennium Stadium L
    2017 League Cup D 3-3 :emoticon-0105-wink:

9. One of yer Norvern Saints

One of yer Norvern Saints Well-Known Member

We're especially good at milking the **** out of things. Look how long we've banged on about '76. What's especially great is that old Man U fans still think they wuz robbed. A bloke came over to me in the gym a couple of years back, eyed my Saints badge and simply said "You do know that little **** was offside in '76, don't you?" I might have had a witty riposte if he hadn't have looked like he used to be Muhammed Ali's sparring partner (and probably beat him).

Mind you, I do have to suffer meeting Tranmere fans ....