1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

FAO ThaiCanary!

Discussion in 'Norwich City' started by canary-dave, Dec 28, 2013.

1. GozoCanary

GozoCanary Well-Known Member

I lived in the Czech Republic for a year and I have to say the beer is great, even the 'bog-standard' stuff is way ahead of most beers from elsewhere. Often little towns have their own local brewery and they make some delicious malty stuff.

2. SUPERNORWICH 23

SUPERNORWICH 23 SUPERNORWICH

please log in to view this image

3. Oxcanary

Oxcanary Well-Known Member

No one has mentioned Pilsener Urquell my real favourite lager!

4. JKCanary

JKCanary Guest

I do like Abbot, but still doesn't beat a Wherry.

Bloody London Pride (AKA London Shame) is everywhere down here, but the Camden Brewery beers are very nice indeed.

5. canary_max

canary_max Well-Known Member

i quite like london pride, i guess it's up to taste JK. Have you tried meantime? that's good.
    best round my way is Hogsback or West Berks breweries.
    ah wherry, yes what a brew! shame you can't get it (or at a reasonable price at home) outside of norfolk/suffolk/essex and cambs

6. JKCanary

JKCanary Guest

Only place I've found it (Wherry) in London is at the 'Horniman at Hays' in London Bridge, opposite the tube station in the Hays Galleria.

Meantime do some nice stuff yeah, went to their beer festival last year.

7. canary_max

cheers for that tip JK, if i'm ever in the London Bridge area <ok>

8. Resurgam

Resurgam Top Analyst
    Staff Member

I love a pint or 5 of pride. Sadly the only pub in Sheringham that sold it have decided to give it a change <grr> <steam>

CC, you'll have to find something else to treat me to now <laugh>

9. General Melchett

General Melchett Well-Known Member

Thats what I'm doing at the moment. I've pretty much exhausted every thing the main supermarkets stock now, including Viru, Kirin, chang et al.

For me some of the highlights were; Beer lao, Mongoose (Then I do like pretty much every Indian lager I have tried, mmm Cobra) and anything by Innes and Gunn. The Innes and Gunn are craft brews from Scotland, not sure if any of them are officially lager except the one titled as such. But the Rum and original are both fantastic and well worth a try. (They do pack a punch though both inxs of 6%)

I tend to love almost (see below for the almost) anything lager from the light mexicans like Sol or Corona (lime obligatory) to more hoppy and stronger flavours like Holsten pils or San Miguel. I think the old joke should apply to the aussies not the americans these days though.

Why is Aussie beer like making love in a canoe?

Fosters, XXXX tooheys are all as bad as it gets!

I personally can't quite get my tastebuds round the weiss beers and haven't really enjoyed any that I have tried.

As for the real ales I like to partake in them too. I prefer paler or copper coloured brews in general and enjoyed plenty during the last city of ale festival in Norwich.

I go to a couple of beer festivals and like a number of breweries and there ales but near Nottingham there is a great one that has now opened a couple of pubs, here in Nottingham and in loughborough. They are called the organ grinder and its the blue monkey brewery. If you get the chance and ales are your thing then give it a go. Ape ale, BG sips and Infinity are all nice, love the title of 99 red baboons even if milds are not my thing!

Bah!

10. JKCanary

JKCanary Guest

Love Weiss Beers. One of my favourites at the moment is 'Schöfferhofer Hefeweizen' - went out to Dortmund to watch some Bundesliga footy and became completely obsessed with it! Oddbins stock it if anyone is interested.

11. canary-dave

canary-dave Well-Known Member

Talking of real ale, when I was up in Sunderland recently, they had a local real ale called blonde, or maybe blondy, it was a bitter, but the colour of lager and is bloody delicious! <ok>

12. canary_max

sounds a bit like Pale Rider, which the Fat cat in norwich used to have. lovely pint

13. canary_max

some of the craft beers are good, like coopers, but you're right, the main breweries are not good, lack of flavour.

14. Bath-Canary

Bath-Canary Well-Known Member

If your ever down my way the bath ales brewery make some great ales the best being Gem. Abbey slew on the other-hand are terrible.

15. JKCanary

JKCanary Guest

What do you make of Doom Bar, bor? I quite like it myself.

16. Bath-Canary

Bath-Canary Well-Known Member

Yeah it's pretty good. Very popular too.

17. JKCanary

JKCanary Guest

It was what I tended to drink when I was living down in Bristol. Wasn't a huge fan of the Bath Ales I have to say though. Gem was OK.

18. canary_max

doombar is good, reliable

19. General Melchett

General Melchett Well-Known Member

I quite like Doombar, a friend comes from a small Gloustershire village (Chalford hill) and its everywhere down that neck of the woods. There's also a great beer festival in Frocester coinciding with the August bank holiday weekend each year. Its near impossible to get tickets for unless you know someone local though!

Bah!

20. DHCanary

DHCanary Very Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Pale Rider must be brewed close to/within Sheffield, as nearly all the pubs there sell it. Very enjoyable.