1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Favourite films

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by John Wick, Apr 11, 2022.

1. John Wick

John Wick Well-Known Member

I'm on lates, so watched all of the Rise of the foot soldier films on a night. Are what they are, and films you wouldn't expect to have post credit scenes setting up the next. Currently making the 6th installment.. another Pat Tate story.

2. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

Recently watched a film called Fracture that I'd never heard of. Enjoyable thriller starring Anthony Hopkins and a young Ryan Gosling. Hopkins plays a rich, arrogant guy who commits a brutal crime, admits everything when the cops show up then proceeds to run rings around the prosecution (Gosling) in and out of court.

If you like Hopkins as Lecter it's a similar setup and he's great in it. Classy film.

3. SAFCDRUM

SAFCDRUM Well-Known Member

Jason and the Argonauts on now. 1963 original. Classic.

Oliver's Army likes this.
  4. John Wick

Nice one. I'll have a look. The remains of the day is a quality film with Hopkins in that kind of goes under the radar. He made silence of the lambs a year later. Very good.

5. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

It's one of those that I've heard of but never seen or thought about watching so I think you're right that it doesn't get a lot of recognition. Looks good and I've been on an Agatha Christie audiobook binge lately so it ties in with that in terms of setting.

Be interesting to see Christopher Reeve I've only seen him in Superman. Hopkins is always class such a good actor.

John Wick likes this.
  6. John Wick

Now before I start, this is a rant, but anyone with the vision a drive to make a film no matter what level they're at, I give props. A young Stallone had that vision in 1976 when he gave us Rocky. The man gave us Rocky 3 and First blood in the same year. Back to Rocky, original 5 was underdog rags to riches and back to rags again over a 14 year period for the 5 originals. 5 wasnt the best, and even Stallone has said as much, however if you watch it again, you can see there's actually a good story of a man that at the end of his career, is back where he started, skint, pounding the same old streets and even donning the same clothes. He is betrayed but shows a punk how its done, but I digress.
    Along the way introducing legendary characters.The beauty of all the Rocky films are you only ever see him win 2 championship titles, the rest is pure story of self doubt, not all as it seems, love, loss and friendship.

Unfortunately we now have Creed 3. Cast of very forgettable characters, shameful product placement, agendas and the most unoriginal "story" probably every made that basically rips off the first 5 and rams it into 2 hours.No spoilers, but if you've seen the original 5 Rocky films, you've already seen this. The only two Actors that gave a performance like they gave a **** was Mila Davis-Kent (his daughter) and Jonathan Majors (friend/opponent). As I said before, 95 percent is a rip,even down to the former world heavyweight boxing champion's child getting bullied at school and wants to learn to box, sound familiar? The one important message in this film deafness awareness, I liked how there's quite a bit of dialogue between everyone around his daughter throughout the film, 10 out of 10 for that. As for the rest, load of ****e , that has me giving zero f**ks who mite win while watching it. Too many artsy fartsy scenes. Stallone has walked away from the Rocky "universe" to let Jordan carry it on, but there's no need or point. But.... and no spoilers, there's several life changing natives in this film where someone you called "Unc" and saw as family WOULD have been there for you, or even got in touch. Hopefully there isn't a Creed 4.

7. John Wick

I stumbled across this film where I was about 13 or 14 one Christmas. It was just on or about to start, ended up watching it and loving it. Give it a go mate.

8. Snaggey

Snaggey Well-Known Member

"If they could get a washing machine to fly, my Jimmy could land it".

Apollo 13 on ITV4 now....

9. The Exile II

The Exile II Well-Known Member

Superman II was on one of the Five channels yesterday afternoon. It's got loads wrong with it, but it's got the best version of all the big characters - Reeve as Superman, Hackman as Luthor, and Terence Stamp as a Zod who veers from camp as a row of pink leather tents to cockney hardcase, sometimes in the same line.

clockstander and John Wick like this.
  10. TopCat_

TopCat_ Well-Known Member

Watched the Luther film on Netflix last night. Utter, utter ****e

First 4k film I've watched and the clarity on screen was amazing. Shame about the acting, the plot etc etc

John Wick likes this.

11. Brainman

Brainman Well-Known Member

Must mention A Taste of Honey. Wonderful film from the 60’s with great characters and story. Way ahead of its time.
    I was just reminded of that when I saw this morning that Murray Melvin has died at 90. rIP.

clockstander likes this.
  12. young2077

young2077 Well-Known Member

Went to watch this a few weeks back and couldn't get in to it as its been so long since I watched the series on BBC.

Watched that Nobody the other night, worth a watch for anyone who likes John Wick.

Makemstine Roger likes this.
  13. John Wick

Aye it was rancid and very very unrealistic.

rooch 3 likes this.
  14. John Wick

:emoticon-0138-think

15. John Wick

I watched Fracture on your recommendation, enjoyed it. Hopkins playing a bastards never gets old. Good watch.

Nacho likes this.
  16. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

Glad you liked it mate, good quality thriller with a great cast and as you say Hopkins is at home playing a (charismatic) baddie.

17. Oliver's Army

Oliver's Army Well-Known Member

Stand by me on Sky Cinema drama. Quality

18. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

Classic film. Great snapshot of what it was like being a kid.

19. Jarca

Jarca Well-Known Member

Quality film, based on a short story by Stephen King

20. TopCat_

TopCat_ Well-Known Member

As was Shawshank Redemption. Another quality film

Snaggey, Oliver's Army and Jarca like this.