1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

FFP Explained

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by qprbeth, Feb 29, 2020.

1. qprbeth

qprbeth Wicked Witch of West12
    Forum Moderator

I haven't got that option, as I am a Ranger for life.
    Got to ride the lows and treasure the highs.

2. Frome-Ranger

Frome-Ranger Well-Known Member

That Twitter thread proves how oddly obsessed fans from other clubs still are with us.

3. qprbeth

Forum Moderator

Maguire, as well as being the expert on FFP etc ( like our own Rollercoaster Ranger too) is also a QPR fan I believe.

Maybe being an expert on FFP, is now a prerequisite of being an R

4. Hammersmith bookie

Hammersmith bookie Well-Known Member

They'll be teaching it in schools on Shepherds Bush from next year instead of History ! An A level in FFP will take you a long way in the future

Devonhoop likes this.
  5. Sutfol

Sutfol Well-Known Member

Our club relies on attracting and developing young players and selling them on for good profit to bigger clubs.
    Where this falls down is having a DoF with an appalling track record. All this club legend stuff is nonsense in business. You have to get the right man for the job and he’s not the man. We’re now paying the price and looks like it will be the case for long time.

Hoop-Leif likes this.
  6. Taffvalerowdy

Taffvalerowdy Well-Known Member

7. SW Ranger

SW Ranger Well-Known Member

That is what I don’t get about all this. Reading offend get docked points. Offend again get docked points.
    We get fined millions of pounds which has to be paid over multiple years and ties our hands behind our back. $hit we’d have taken 12 points deduction over the financial fine we have had to endure surely.

8. Taffvalerowdy

Taffvalerowdy Well-Known Member

Consistency is what is required <cheers>

9. Rangers Til I Die

Rangers Til I Die Well-Known Member

The figures are sad and speak for themselves.

What I'd be more interested in is why Warbles faded away into failure?

It's easier to understand his sacking now seeing those sums.

For those of us calling for new owners (me included at times), who in their right mind is going to buy an 'investment' that's going to lose them nigh on half a mil per month for who knows how long?! Possibly better the devil we know....

10. Quite Possibly Raving

Quite Possibly Raving Well-Known Member

Half a million a month? Well done, you've drastically improved our finances! Try £2m a month...

Taffvalerowdy likes this.

11. rangercol

rangercol Well-Known Member

So do we never try again?

12. qprbeth

Forum Moderator

When we have a platform to go from Col. And that isn't now...

We gambled on having a platform to attemot a promotion push last season , after our tremendous year in 2021 ( which if you remember for the calender year we had one of the best win ratios in Europe).. Warburton finished the season 20/21 on a high using Johannsen and Austin. We acquired 11 players, and fought off offers on Chair, Willock and Dieng for the 21/22 season
    We went for it...and failed.

We will not attempt it again, unless we have another combination like that. No point just buying players and hoping
    ..it isn't working for Chelsea it won't work for us.

We have to hope our owners stay with us...and they don't sell to some one who asset strips our valuable ( from a property tycoons mind) club.

I am really fearful for the future

13. Hammersmith bookie

Hammersmith bookie Well-Known Member

But it was ultimately our failure to invest in a striker in that January window that cost us getting into the play offs. The only way the club is ever gonna clear this debt and be rid of the FFP stranglehold is to get promoted back to the Premier Lesgue. If we carry one like we are, we will ultimately get relegated to League 1 and be on a worse position. Any thoughts that we will once again challenge without laying out a penny and making millions by selling our young talent , is quite simply ludicrous. It isn't working and it won't work in the future, simply because we aren't producing any talent at all through the academy or youth policy. Our recruitment is a shambles, and nothing is changing there. Seriously, we have to get back to the Premier League to probably still exist as a club, in 10 years time the only place we can be , going on as we are, is in a division or 2 lower than we are right now. The only solution is to go for broke and spend heavily and hope its enough to take us back up. If we fail and get done for FFP, then so be it, it will only end us up where we'll inevitably end up anyway. I know alot will jump down my throat for this post, but it's gonna be a slow death anyway. If these owners do walk or sell up , where will that leave us down the line ? We need to do a Forest next season , and just go for it. I mean really go for it, buy 2 proper strikers that will fire us up the league, out all the ****(and there's plenty of it), and bring in campaigners we know can cut it in this league. I'd rather go down fighting and with a grin on my face, than just sit there and do nothing and let the inevitable take its course !

14. bobmid

bobmid Well-Known Member

The club got Jeff Hendricks instead of the striker Warbs wanted.

15. Rangers Til I Die

Rangers Til I Die Well-Known Member

Yep, meant half a mil a week. It's a pity I was not right!

16. bobmid

bobmid Well-Known Member

The owners are stumping up this money each month due to their own failures. Look where we were when they purchased the club, a stupid spending frenzy resulting in a massive fine not governed by anyone with an ounce of knowledge in football and look where we are now!
    Its the owners fault we are in this mess so I have no sympathy for them having to pay for their **** ups, just a pity us fans have to share and witness this journey down the league's.

17. Didley Squat

Didley Squat Well-Known Member

This precisely............ well said, Bob.

bobmid and Taffvalerowdy like this.
  18. Hoop-Leif

Hoop-Leif Well-Known Member

How many more years is it until we are actually clear of the ffp restrictions?

19. SW Ranger

SW Ranger Well-Known Member

I agree Bob they did **** up. I’m not sure I have any sympathy for them either. They spoilt our best opportunity to stay up and it could be a long time before we get back - barring a ‘leicester’ moment.

But, to look at it from a different angle, they are paying for it. They are trying to own their **** up. They are trying new things. They have tried to find a suitable space for a new ground. They have bought and built a new training ground. They’ve got things wrong. They’ve been a little slow to look at our internal failings for sure.

Sometimes it’s better the devil you know, and the opportunity to push them forward.

kiwiqpr, Steelmonkey, sb_73 and 2 others like this.
  20. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

They did what quite a few Rs fans think they should be doing now - spend loads of dosh in a vain attempt to stay in/ get back to the PL. And it seems they didn’t learn so much from the experience as they did it again on a smaller scale for Warburton. So they have been ****ed over by Hughes, Redknapp and Warburton, none of whom could deliver on what they promised - ‘give me these players, I’ll give you the PL’.

And I have no sympathy for them either.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2023