1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

FFS just FO you absolute ...

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by Smug in Boots, Apr 3, 2020.

1. Smug in Boots

Smug in Boots Well-Known Member

...sack of shyte.

Townsend said: "In a letter the union has warned players against taking a pay cut or deferring their wages until they have seen the clubs' finances.
    We received an email two days ago from the PFA which said until they have all the information from clubs, not to be pressured into agreeing anything ...
    ... I have never been more proud to be a footballer."

https://www.skysports.com/football/...-winger-unhappy-with-treatment-of-footballers

No wonder people say the players have lost touch with reality.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2020
  2. The realist

The realist Active Member

Wholeheartedly agree with you.
    How on earth can a footballer be guaranteed his full wage whilst sitting at home posting insta photos whilst those below stairs are shood away with an 80% government handout.
    If there was ever any doubt about football stinking to the high heavens then this quashes that.
    The union should hang their heads in shame as well.

3. RedNWhite4Life

RedNWhite4Life Well-Known Member

Aye typical arrogant young tosspot. I see Juventus players have opted to receive no wages for 4 months and all Barca players have voluntarily taken a 70% pay cut. Will still be getting a hefty chunk mind. Surely footballers should be offering wages to charity during a time like this but they are probably just saving up for a new Lamborghini. ****s the lot of them. Well most anyway.

4. gelders pie

gelders pie Well-Known Member

I don't agree with or condone social media nastiness, but in this case I hope he gets slaughtered on twitter etc

Class of 73 and Makemstine Roger like this.
  5. Bigmackem

Bigmackem Well-Known Member

Why is it players do not have a mind of their own , does their brains hurt when they have to think for themselves. Agents seem to have not only taken their money but also their brains . Jordan Henderson ex SAFC appears to be coming to the fore by using common sense , we are in an almighty mess and players are playing ignorant to what is happening around them. Wake up and smell the coffee - the world is in crisis, and football and footballers are secondary .

Class of 73 and Smug in Boots like this.
  6. Fentonpell

Fentonpell Well-Known Member

Hasn't Jordan Henderson been in touch with all PL captains to arrange donations to donate to all front line staff?

smithy in nl likes this.
  7. Sunderpitt

Sunderpitt Well-Known Member

I often have castigated bankers and their like for greed...now another group of self-centered cnuts can join the roll call.

gelders pie and Smug in Boots like this.
  8. Nads

Nads Well-Known Member

Whilst I agree he’s a prick for going public with it, isn’t it the wording that he’s ****ed?

‘told us to wait until we’ve seen clubs finances’ may actually be ‘told us to wait and see what the club is contributing’.

Let’s not forget the clubs have a lot more money than the players at that level. Even with the absurd salaries the top few clubs raked in monster profits. Are they helping the country?

Flip side, absolute pride that our Jordan has gone off his own bat and set up a fund for the NHS, and if press is correct there’s been close to £20 million pledged already, mainly from players.

Some of them remain decent human beings.

9. Smug in Boots

Fair play and that's commendable.

As far as individuals clubs are concerned agree a deal quietly, with your own club, to make sure the lasses in the ticket office don't suffer ...

... after all you wink at them and join in the banter when it suits you, which costs you nothing.

10. Dancingstripes

Dancingstripes Well-Known Member

I may be going against the grain here.

But why are people trying to tell decide/tell football players what they should do with their money?

They earned and signed contracts, but now a pandemic has happened, people are demanding they should now forfeit those contracts, or donate their wage.

What about high end film stars? F1 drivers? Bankers? Pop stars? Where is the public demand for them to forefeit their wage?

Why is it, people feel they have the right to decide/demand what wealthy people do with their money?

If the football players want to donate some of their money, that's their choice.

Let's not forget, they hand over 40%-50% of their wage in tax to the government every week anyway, they've done their part to help the NHS, and they've been doing that since they signed those big contracts.

11. Smug in Boots

I'm not demanding or deciding anything.

What I'm saying is that this player imo is displaying a total lack of empathy with the current situation.

Yes he's signed a contract, and is entitled to hang onto every penny of his millions, but I don't have to like his attitude.

There was no need to say any of this to the press ...

... but it wouldn't surprise me if he asked to be paid for the interview.

12. O'conner flood

O'conner flood Well-Known Member

whose this twat ?

13. Bob Cheval

Bob Cheval Well-Known Member

I don’t begrudge footballers getting paid a lot. It’s a short career and the numbers are distorted by a relatively small number of players at the top. Plus they pay a huge amount of income tax.

But if there was ever a time to agree to a 10% pay cut for three months to make sure all the non-playing staff at your club still get 100% of their pay it is now. I gave my sister some money this week to top up her furlough pay. She needs it and I don’t.

14. Flash Gordon

Flash Gordon Well-Known Member

What Townsend has said was in reaction to the Health secretary Matt Hancock singling out footballers and making them look like an enemy.

I think footballers should be offering to support in this time (which is what they're trying to do using Henderson as a figurehead) but taking a paycut just gives money back to the club.

Does anyone actually think Mike Ashley or Joe Lewis are so poor that they can't afford to pay the non playing staff without the players taking a pay cut?

As for the health secretary, perhaps he should explain how every millionaire within his own government is financially supporting others, before he uses footballers as an easy deflection tool.

Nads likes this.
  15. Smug in Boots

I totally agree about your comments regarding pay cuts etc.

My post was more to do with Townsends attitude than the logistics. I don't understand what he's trying to say about being blamed. No one is blaming football players for anything. It seems like Townsend is trying to throw this back by telling Hancock to mind his own business and look after NHS staff. It's just poor imo.

Andros Townsend said: "The Health Secretary, deflecting blame onto footballers, I don't think that is right. His job is the responsibility of NHS workers"

Last edited: Apr 4, 2020
  16. Flash Gordon

Flash Gordon Well-Known Member

I think in the article he comes across quite balanced and tries to explain his perspective which does consider charities and the NHS. Maybe he should have said nothing because he was always going to get stick for coming out like that, but all he's done is defend himself from the scapegoating that the government attempted.

17. Smug in Boots

I agree that he should've said nothing, he's not a good spokesman.

In my opinion he comes across as playing the victim which doesn't help his argument. Saying he's unhappy with the treatment, being painted as villains and being easy targets looks like a self pitying whinge to me.

Hancock was saying wealthy players should play their part not that they're to blame for anything.

I agree that Hancock should keep his nose out but, tbf, the public has been saying much the same things for weeks now ...

... the players have appeared to be dragging their heels and clinging onto their money.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2020
  18. Bob Cheval

This whole episode was manufactured by the press. In the press conference, some journalist asked if he thought it was immoral if Premier League footballers didn’t take a pay cut. His reply was something like ‘Everyone has a part to play to help in this crisis and that includes footballers’

Headline: Hancock singles out footballers.

All a total bunch of nonsense.

Riever and Smug in Boots like this.
  19. flandersmackem

flandersmackem Well-Known Member

I try and put myself in a position where I was earning tens of thousands of pounds a week and a person who works in the same business as me has just been laid off who earns less in one year than I earn in a week. I would like to think that I would offer to do the right thing...in fact, I know I would.

20. Bob Cheval

I think most footballers will. This has just been blown up by the press and now Townsend has taken the bait like a chump.