1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

FI-FA Foe? FOM

Discussion in 'Formula 1' started by El_Bando, Jun 15, 2015.

1. El_Bando

El_Bando Can't remember, where was I?
    Forum Moderator

So loads of news the past few weeks about FIFA corruption with even the Americans getting involved arresting people in Switzerland (Off topic: What happened to Interpol?) Anyway... With reports of cash for votes, unjust nations buying tournaments etc etc. Will they ever question another major sporting body, FIA and FOM? Where it is well known that corruption is likely to have taken place (Interestingly with Russia and Qatar having/Interested in a grand prix).

Sure Bernie has been taken to the docks a few times but we never got given the full verdict as he paid them off.

Should Team America world police be having a closer look at him too?

2. Smithers

Smithers Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I think FIA is fundamentally different in that venues pay for the right to hold a GP and Bernie sets the price based on the value he believes to be appropriate. In addition, the venues commit to an on-going commercial agreement rather than a one off.

FIFA are neutral governing body who vote (under an agreed democratic process) as to which nations will hold a one off event. Lobbying (or bribing) individual voters to influence a democratic voting process is corrupt.

u408379965 likes this.
  3. BrightLampShade

BrightLampShade Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I think the FIA are far to weak to have been bribed, they basically have zero influence in F1 these days so they are probably in the clear due to incompetence. FOM on the other hand is undeniably ('allegedly') bent and with all of the power when it comes to where F1 goes. The hosting fee's are essentially bribes, why else would hosting fee change from track to track. In reality they all supply the same service and so in many other fields this would be seen as suspicious rather than just laughable.

Bernie is even open about it all, pulling tracks as they don't pay enough, going to tracks because they pay more. Doing what the money says, not what is best for the sport. A legal bribe most probably so nothing can be done about that.

El_Bando and EternalMSC like this.
  4. Smithers

Forum Moderator

F1 is a commercial business with share holders. It is entitled to choose its venues subject to price or any other variable that adds to its revenue stream. Business decision makers are also entitled to turn business down if they see fit - the only people they answer to are shareholders.

I'm not saying I agree with it, it's just the way it is.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2015
    DHCanary, cosicave and u408379965 like this.
  5. Big Ern

Big Ern Lord, Master, Guru & Emperor

yeah, it's not as if Bernie tries to make a secret of the fact he'll whore F1 to anyone who has the £.

As to America (**** yeah), I think they had a look at him over the CVC deal, his 'problems' are all tax related, which of course, he probably won;t even be fined for

6. Smithers

Forum Moderator

He's allegedly got a 1 Billion liability on his UK trust fund left to his family - as you say though this is personal tax evasion.

7. Big Ern

I think he's suing HMRC for breach of contract for not letting him off like they said they would.
    As much as I dislike him I also have to salute his sheer audacity.

Smithers likes this.
  8. allsaintchris.

allsaintchris. Well-Known Member

HMRC are saying an agreement they made back with him around 2008 is invalid now as he withheld information from them that came out in his Germany trial which would have changed their opinion.

Hope they go and get him. It will be down to who can afford the best lawyers though, much like when Harry Redknapp got acquitted despite having an offshore account in his dogs name..........

9. u408379965

u408379965 Well-Known Member

To be fair, he did pay a £10m bribe to HMRC to make it go away. Pretty arseholish of them to take the bribe and then go after him anyway.

10. EternalMSC

EternalMSC Well-Known Member

He won't be prosecuted so long as there is a breath in his body. Tough little man.

11. El_Bando

Forum Moderator

12. El_Bando

Forum Moderator

13. Big Ern

he doesn't breathe, and he has no reflection.

SgtBhaji likes this.