1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

FIFA meddling

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by Oliver's Army, Jul 17, 2021.

1. Best uncapped Keeper

Best uncapped Keeper Well-Known Member

The time limit was a later rule change but I'd stopped playing by then and can't remember the time limit but I think it was longer than 4 seconds

2. Ozzymac

Ozzymac Well-Known Member

Hmm, preparation for an American styled franchise model so they can launch their own "World Super League",

An elite groupf of 20 clubs from all corners of the world with no relegation or promotion, massive TV revenue. Now where have i heard of something similar to this before.

3. Draig

Draig Well-Known Member

• 1883: the keeper may not carry the ball for more than two steps.
    • 1931: the keeper may take up to four steps (rather than two) while carrying the ball.
    • 1997: the keeper may not handle the ball for more than six seconds

samwise_new and Guy Incognito like this.
  4. Disco down under

Disco down under Well-Known Member

I understand F1, Cricket, and the Australian rules etc ****ing with their games as they fear a lack of growth.

Football is the world game. Nothing inside the realm of sport can compete with it. Don't **** with it.

Create digital experiences around it to compete with gaming. Invest in making Fifa and the likes as good as possible.

But do not **** with the game. You stupid ****s.

5. The Redbaron

The Redbaron Well-Known Member

There's an even easier way to do it and can't fathom out why FiFA haven't thought of it rather than complicate the game with two halves of 30 minutes or the ball going out of play to gain a result and stop time wasting ,feigning injury etc....

Let a player, say the team Captain of the clubs involved, yes the team Captain would be ideal, with the referee and the opposition Captain stand in the centre Circle, thinking about it, you don't even need to do that, and flip a coin. Heads you win, tails you lose without all the huffing and puffing for 90 minutes, 60 minutes, 30 minutes etc to decide who wins and who loses. We've done away with draws...

Just think, No big stupid transfer fees for players, huge contracts, or even owning a football ground, all pointless if this was adopted as the new way for football to go... You could even do Zoom international competitions without leaving the country. Better still, no expensive training camps, hotels , transport cost the cost saving would be enormous..

Yes, I like it. Just cant think why FiFA have never considered this way forward.:mad::mad::mad:

6. The Norton Cat

The Norton Cat Well-Known Member

Goalkeepers could, and did, travel with the ball by bouncing it, getting around that two step rule. In 1887 the law was introduced saying that goalkeepers could not handle the ball in the opposition half. In 1901 goalkeepers were allowed to "handle the ball for any reason" -previously it had just been "in defence of his goal". Our own Leigh Richmond Roose (also played for Stoke and Villa amongst others) exploited the obvious loophole here and would bounce the ball to the halfway line, launching attacks from there. This led directly to the introduction of the 1912 rule saying that the goalkeeper could only handle the ball in the penalty area (the dimensions of which assumed their modern proportions only in 1902.

samwise_new and Makemstine Roger like this.
  7. Saf

Saf Not606 Godfather+NOT606 Poster of the year 2023

I like the idea of stopping the clock when the ball goes out or a player goes down injured. That would put a stop to time wasting or at the least we'd see a noticeable reduction in the amount of times it happens.

Makemstine Roger likes this.
  8. marcusblackcat

marcusblackcat SAFC Sheriff
    Forum Moderator

Absolutely this.
    One of the Italian games I rewound input and timed the amount of time wasted in the last 10 minutes before injury time. There were 8 minutes of the 10 wasted by them tolling about. 5 minutes of time was added. Despite 7 dubs and a goal before the last 10 minutes, then 8 of the last 10 wasted.

9. Geecee

Geecee Member

I'm thinking that the diving should be the main thing to change.

Have a video ref looking at any dives etc, while the match keeps going. If it's proved that a deliberate dive has taken place then it should be an immediate red and a 5 game ban. Especially at top teams I don't think a fine will make much difference.

Then if a 2nd player from the team dives in that or future matches, then a 10 game ban and points deduction.

The bans and points deductions could increase throughout the season for each subsequent dive.

I think players would then be told by their clubs to cut it out immediately as they wouldn't want to be without their players for a substantial amount of time, or have points deductions which could relegate them.

10. The Norton Cat

The Norton Cat Well-Known Member

Culturally, that may be unlikely to get international backing. In some footballing cultures, deceiving the referee in this way is seen as a positive, the Italians call it furbo. I might be wrong, but I'd imagine there would be many people on the FIFA laws of the game committee who don't have as much of a problem with diving as we do in this country.

11. samwise_new

samwise_new Well-Known Member

to us, and others, the cheating is spoiling the game...but to certain continental cousins it is a vital part of winning 'at all costs'...my own personal view on this (and life in general actually) is that if you have to cheat to get anywhere then find something else to do.