1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Financial Fair Play

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by FellTop, Mar 24, 2021.

1. FellTop

FellTop Well-Known Member

Looks like it is on the way out. Sounds like instead of spend related to what you collect it will be more spend what you need. No doubt it will confusing but hopefully a better model.

2. young2077

young2077 Well-Known Member

Spend what you need? Is that not spend what you want? In other words no restrictions?

Makemstine Roger likes this.
  3. Gatesy

Gatesy Well-Known Member

Lol we 'NEED' a striker who unfortunately will cost 63 million... Oh well, when needs must and all that :emoticon-0103-cool:

4. Sunderpitt

Sunderpitt Well-Known Member

After the lawyers on Man Chitty drove a horse and cart through the existing rules, it was expected I suppose that some changes would be made.

What was not expected, perhaps, is that, by the sounds it it all rules dismantled?

Still Man Chitty and PSG will not complain

Of course the mags will also be happy....

when the journalist dismembering, children hospital bombing in the Yemen and keeping women locked and covered up..

Saudis buy their club, for a bit of sportswashing.

Guy Incognito and Nads like this.
  5. Nads

Nads Well-Known Member

I can only see positives for us in this.

Will it benefit Man City etc, sure.

We weren’t going to that level anyway, how many of us would be upset with maybe a Europa campaign?

I’d piss rainbows at Europa.

Nice wee group with Ajax, Kilmarnock and Milan.

6. FellTop

FellTop Well-Known Member

It might also be down to covid as clubs income will have been hammered.

It needs an overhaul in my opinion, whether we get a set of sensible rules is anyone's guess. Maybe the only real solution is to let clubs manage their own affairs as they are businesses after all.

7. Nads

Nads Well-Known Member

I’ve never understood how they think they can tell what’s essentially a business how they spend their money.

8. dansafcman

dansafcman Well-Known Member

I agree mostly. But when you see the likes of man City, psg etc driving player transfer fees through the roof, there needs to be some kind of control.

9. Draig

Draig Well-Known Member

Think about this.

Sunderland get to an FA Cup Final against a big London club and their fans were used to paying twice the cost of SAFC fans for their ticket.

Would you be happy if the FA decided that they would sell twice as many tickets to them simply because that is better business for the FA?

After all, why should anyone try to put limits on how a business wishes to operate?

TeamOfTalents likes this.
  10. Nads

Nads Well-Known Member

The FA is a governing body. Football clubs are individual businesses.

I put it this way, how many of us thought it was fair that we couldn’t spend any more wages than Fleetwood this season? None of us.

Why? As we are a bigger club, with a bigger income.

We can’t call it both ways.

11. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

I think FFP is/was a good thing and helps keep the game from becoming ridiculous. The last thing I want for football is to have a mini league of uber rich teams who have no connection to anybody else because their owners are too ****ing rich for anyone else to compete and that's what abolishing FFP will invite.

12. Draig

Draig Well-Known Member

But this isn't the FA acting as a governing body, but is merely another legal entity - the owner of a stadium that is hosting a cup final

13. TeamOfTalents

TeamOfTalents Well-Known Member

This is meant to be a sport. If it's left to market forces it's no longer a sporting contest. Only have to look at how predictable so much football is now. Because money is being allowed to dictate regardless of the damage it does.

Random lad and Montysoptician like this.
  14. Makemstine Roger

Makemstine Roger Well-Known Member

i would agree totally unless we were one of the uber rich clubs, then its fek you jack were all right cos wi as finally arrived

Nacho and Porterfield73 like this.
  15. The Exile II

The Exile II Well-Known Member

I still think an overall wage cap would work.You can still pay a massive fee for a bloke on 300 grand a week, but you'll have to sacrifice three or four squad players for it. Meanwhile the club that can only afford 50k a week has more options and more to fall back on in case of injury and suspension.

16. dansafcman

dansafcman Well-Known Member

Wage cap would never work, it wouldn't stand up in a court.

Transfer fee cap might be possible.

Ffp could have worked if it was set up fairly, implemented and enforced.

17. Sunderpitt

Sunderpitt Well-Known Member

Yep Man Chitty lawyers and the money behind them scared the authorities and they backed down...

Makemstine Roger likes this.
  18. Draig

Draig Well-Known Member

I disagree, there is nothing inherently illegal in limiting the amount a club can pay on its squad, only on individual players.

It is just like limits upon competition squad size and the maximum number of loan players in a match-day team don't breach restraint of trade laws because they were agreed by all parties.

The only reason the wage cap didn't stand up in court was because they hadn't consulted with the players as they had a legal duty to.

19. MrRAWhite

MrRAWhite Well-Known Member

I think you will find that this year we will have probably been the biggest loss makers in the league with our wage structure and reduced income due to fans cancelling season cards due to covid..

Makemstine Roger and Nads like this.
  20. Nads

Nads Well-Known Member

I don’t doubt that for a second, indeed it’s absolute fact.

My point was we had several conversations on here saying ‘why should we be allowed to spend the same amount as a count with 10% of the income’, the wage cap put us in a level with clubs with 2,000 crowds.

The same principle applies surely? Yes rich owners get clubs a leg up, but after it all Coty and Chelsea have both posted profits after signing huge commercial deals. Who can tell them how to spend that?

I don’t agree with FFP, I agree with clubs not being dragged into unmanageable debt, sure, but I don’t think it’s right to say a club can’t spend money it can plainly afford.

It’s like someone telling me I can’t buy a pair of trainers cos someone I work with can’t afford a pair. I’d say tough ****, and buy them.

Guy Incognito and MrRAWhite like this.