1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

First-half performances

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by BrunelGooner, Dec 16, 2018.

1. BrunelGooner

BrunelGooner Well-Known Member

If games were to end at half-time, we would have 12 draws and 5 losses.

It's been said several times by many different posters. But we cannot keep relying on valiant second-half displays to get us through games. Eventually, these substandard first-half displays were going to be costly and today, against Southampton, we weren't capable of getting one point from the game, let alone all 3.

It was quite humorous to begin with, but it is a recurring theme. And it is a huge cause for concern.

Even though Emery's substitutions have been lauded by many for making instant impacts, his questionable team selections and tactical approach at the beginning of games deserves criticism.

Today was a classic example. What was the need to start Xhaka at centre-half? Why couldn't we just go to a back four with Monreal/Lichsteiner and Koscielny as the two central defenders? Why not start Lacazette, Ramsey or Ozil? I know the latter was extremely poor when he came on, but if he'd started, I think he would have adapted to the pace of the game quicker. He's also still our most creative player by a distance.

Part of the reason why we've conceded so many goals is because not all of our players help out in defensive situations. The likes of Redmond and Armstrong were afforded so much space today with no-one closing them down or shutting the spaces, and this isn't the first time.

We're having no luck with injuries either, but Emery's said we may need to look in the January transfer window to get new players in.

I'm not going to go overboard because this was always going to be a transitional season for us. And today, we had a makeshift backline. However, I think it is a reminder that, though this was our 1st defeat in 23 games, there is still A LOT of work to do.

Onto the next one.

2. Mantis

Mantis Well-Known Member

We have been flat now for a while (and lucky in some fixtures). We were going to lose at some point. No point crying about it... fortunately we have winnable games upcoming. I think we showed why we are still very much in transition. But the overall signs are positive. I will make the judgement at the end of the season. We're only 3 points off 4th place as it stands even with this defeat.

3. omogooner

omogooner Well-Known Member

You can look at this from another angle, if he got his starting 11 right in the first place, then he would not need to make half time subs!

4. BrunelGooner

That's the point I'm making with this article.

He gets praised for his game changing substitutions, but he creates a rod for his own back with his bizarre team selections at times.

I would rather have seen Zach Medley come into this game than a 33-year old Koscielny who'd had an 8-month lay off.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but I was concerned about Koscielny starting well before the team was announced. Not even the most negative Arsenal fan would have thought Kos was going to perform that badly. I'd rather have had a young, natural centre-half playing over a player that quite clearly was not ready for a game of this intensity.

There's no way of proving this, but I can almost certainly guarantee that 2 of those 3 goals wouldn't have been conceded with Medley in defence. Partly because he has the height to deal with crosses.

Again, Xhaka in central defence was also an unnecessary change.

Quilllogic likes this.
  5. Quilllogic

Quilllogic Active Member

I get the feeling that Kos has seen his best days.

6. BrunelGooner

I know that he's a fan favourite and he's been a wonderful servant to the club. He helped us win 3 FA Cups, he'll always be a big part of our history.

But the only way from today is down. He's approaching his mid-30s and has had an achilles problem for several years now. He won't be performing at a significantly higher level than he did today unfortunately.

I wouldn't mind him playing against lower league teams in the FA/League Cup or plumbers from the Europa, but he shouldn't be relied on in Premier League games.

We need to be looking at getting new central defenders in January, especially as we seem to be getting injuries every week.

7. BackFromBeyond

BackFromBeyond Well-Known Member

Maybe not having a matchday thread was bad juju?

8. TheBear

TheBear Well-Known Member

I honestly feel like our biggest issue is actually the quality of our defenders.

Mustafi - Too small, poor in the air, gets bullied.
    Koscielny - Been injured for a year but we havnt seen the best of him for nearly 2 years. Most likley past his best.
    Holding - Now injured, got a lot of potential but still not the finished article.
    Monreal - Injury problems - arguably past his best.
    Kolasinac - He's a Wingback reather than a Fullback IMO.

Emery wants us to keep things tight and play less open in the first half. Now we just dont have the defence to do this... but I think he will bring in the players he needs over the next couple of transfer windows

Last edited: Dec 18, 2018