1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

FLAT: A couple of breeders 2013 | Horse Racing

Discussion in 'Horse Racing' started by Bustino74, Apr 7, 2013.

1. Bustino74

Bustino74 Thouroughbred Breed Enthusiast

Last summer I wrote about two (old-fashioned) owner-breeders, the Ballymacoll Stud and The Royal Stud. Both have been often successful and influential in their time. When I wrote mid-summer it looked as if the Royal Stud, facing significant changes, was having a good season. At the same time Ballymacoll seemed to be going through one of those unaccountable thin periods that studs seem to go through. As it was from midsummer the bloom rather went off the Royal Stud, hardly scoring a success in the second half of the year and importantly no 2yo winner. Ballymacoll, by their standards hardly had a riproaring second half but at least there was some promise coming through. So how do they look at the start of 2013?
    Well Ballymacoll have already had a winner, and in over the 40 years I’ve followed their fortunes I can’t remember an earlier winner. Theodore Gericault (now a gelding) is hardly the most important member of Ballymacoll’s team as they have recently sold the mare and the grand-dam, but at least he ran (his second start) and won. He may go on to pick up some more small prizes (he reportedly ran green at Lingfield) and don’t be surprised to see his 2yo full-brother Rochambeau being started earlier than most Ballymacoll horses. The only other 3yo colt is the unraced Arab Spring, who one presumes has more expected of him than Theodore Gericault. By Monsun out of Spring Symphony this colt is a half-brother to Glass Harmonium, who won as a 2yo, 3yo and 4yo for Ballymacoll and Stoute and when sold went on to win a Group 1 in Australia. It would be reassuring to see this colt aimed at one of the early season maidens at Newmarket or Newbury. He should stay 12f comfortably.
    However with the 3yos it’s Ballymacoll’s fillies that catch the eye. I’ve already discussed the two classically entered fillies ( http://www.not606.com/showthread.php/202209-With-the-sap-rising-the-mind-turns-to-fillies), Liber Nauticus and Auld Alliance, elsewhere so won’t add to that here, so will concentrate on other possibilities. Last year Ballymacoll had a second 2yo winner when Meehan had a 6f success with the Oasis Dream filly Supernova Heights. From the Pilsudski family this filly may improve with age and looks as if she will remain at 6 to 8f distances. Hopefully she is able to retire in full health as she is currently the only remaining female of her family in her stud other than her 22yo dam. From the more prolific Reform family (but also the Golan, Islington and North Light family) there is another intriguing 3yo in the shape of the unraced Bohemian Dance (by Dansili out of Islington). She is full sister to the unraced (now at stud) Star Rating and 2yo Upper Street. These beautifully bred fillies show a distinct disinclination to get to the races, which is a worrying trait. So don’t hold your breath for Bohemian Dance and let’s just hope Upper Street is not so reluctant. The already mentioned Auld Alliance looks very much the flagbearer 3yo for this family.
    The other ‘great’ Ballymacoll family is that of Conduit and Sun Princess, both multi-group 1 winners. As well as Liber Nauiticus there is the already placed filly Centred. By Dalakhani out of Drama Class she appears no great shakes but should improve enough as a 3yo to win races. She is a half-sister to Scottish Stage (Listed winner and Irish Oaks 2nd) and Eleanora Duse (Group 2 winner and Yorkshire Oaks 3rd). This Dalakhani filly should be a lot better over 12f. The remaining 3yo filly is Northern Meeting, who is by Dylan Thomas out of Scottish Stage. Both of this mares produce have won, but both of them have been ingenuine sorts and it is to be hoped that this is not going to be a family trait. Her case is not helped by being by Dylan Thomas, who hardly set the world alight with his first crop. However he may get better older horses. One has to say again that Liber Nauticus looks to be the potential star from this family as regards 3yos this year.
    Over the last few years Ballymacoll has pre-entered very few yearling colts for the Derby. From the 2010 foal crop there were none and from 2009 only one (the ill-fated El Greco). So it comes as a big surprise to see 7 of Ballymacoll’s current crop of 2yos (the 2011 foals) entered for the Derby. Either they’ve changed policy or they fancy that they have some cracking colts! I’ll return to these 2yos later in the year as Ballymacoll rarely run a 2yo before July, but for now it’s worth mentioning a few of them. Pride of place must go to Juvenile Lead (Sea the Stars out of Drama Class) from the Sun Princess line, Jone des Champs (Montjeu out of Desert Bloom: so a half-brother to the useful Fiorente) and Montone (Pivotal out of Olympienne: so a half-brother to Patkai and Modun) from the Hellenic (so Islington line). There is also the beautifully bred filly Long View (a Galileo half-sister to Golan and 3-parts sister to Auld Alliance). But more of all of these later, when we see them mentioned in gallop dispatches.
    Ballymacoll usually do well with older horses as many are late maturing types, but this year the cupboard is bare with the exception of Sir John Hawkwood. He ran 5 times as a 3yo, having not run as a 2yo. He was often talked about as looking relatively weak and needing to strengthen. When he did win (twice last year) he looked distinctly useful. But he also threw in a bad run. Now gelded this Sir Percy member of the Pilsudski family may come into his own this year. He has been galloping with some of Stoute’s best prospects so far this year. He could get to Group class.
    This year looks a year of some promise this year for Ballymacoll: with perhaps the establishment of a springboard to an even better year next year.

It’s hard to be as optimistic with the Royal 3yo crop, and it’s better to start with the older horses (in fact the Queen’s two best prospects at the moment are the full-brothers Open Hearted and Close Touch, but they are over the jumps). Surprisingly she has kept in training her Royal Ascot winning filly Estimate. She won her first two races of last year including the 16f Queen’s Vase. When tried at shorter distances she looked one-paced and her year finished with a 3rd in the Park Hill Stakes. If she was a 10f horse there are plenty of opportunities for her , but over further one can only imagine her remaining in training means she goes for a tilt at some Cup Races. She may start in the Sagaro Stakes or Yorkshire Cup and then they’ll judge where to go from there. She is a nicely bred filly by Monsun out of an Aga Khan mare, and the family stays. She has already been mentioned positively on the gallops.
    Charlton kept saying last year that Border Legend would be better as a 4yo. This gelding was very consistent and now he has the opportunity to prove Charlton right. I’d imagine he’d be looking at reasonable mile handicaps like the Newbury Spring Cup. Bell has two Royal 4yo geldings in his stable. The first is the maiden Sign Manual, who has got good mentions throughout his career but never followed through at the races. Bell has him in his 6 to follow so hopefully he’ll win a maiden before stepping up to handicaps. Bell also has Stoute’s former inmate Galleon (by Galileo and now gelded). This winner from last year appeared useful at first last year but didn’t develop. Maybe a change of stable and change of outlook may make him more committed.

2. Bustino74

continued:-
    It is well known to anyone who knows anything about racing that the Queen’s great racing ambition is to win the Derby. As a young Monarch she had several good and worthy runners in the race, but since the early 60s has had nothing of great account. Two years ago she had the disappointing Carlton House (even if bred by Sheikh Mohammed) and it must show things aren’t any better when all her 3yo colts bar one are already gelded. These include her home-breds as well as the horses she has been acquiring over the last 5 years. Last year’s 2yos were the first bunch I can remember that didn’t include a 2yo winner. That is not a good sign.
    The one entire colt is Stoute’s Bold Sniper and he may be useful. He is by New Approach out of a Daylami mare called Daring Aim, who has already produced the useful Highland Glen and two other winners from her only foals to race. She won one small race as a 3yo and was decidedly reluctant to put her best foot forward (ask Fallon). But she is a half-sister to the Queen’s Oaks 2nd Flight of Fancy and gets foals that race and win (even if they too have their own ideas). One day she may get a straightforward foal and this unraced colt hopefully is it. He was mentioned in glowing terms on the gallops last year and has been well tried at home already this year and if he has the speed could start in a race like the Wood Ditton Stakes (if not a maiden over further the same week). If his mind is on racing he could be useful.
    Amongst the 3yo geldings spread over several trainers Sea Shanty (by Elusive Quality out of the miler Medley) with Hannon should win races. She has two geldings with Stoute and both Circus Turn and Berkeley House should win races (both are by Street Cry) and should at least pick up a maiden.
    So no Derby this year and the fillies are also needing to improve a lot. The most conspicuous runner last year was the well-named Sweet as Honey (by Duke of Marmalade out of Tempting Prospect: so a half-brother to Galleon). She came nearest to winning last year and should pick up something around 10-12f. If any of her 3yo fillies are going to be useful it will be one of the two fillies Bell has of the Queen’s. The first is the Cape Cross filly, Dalliefour, who is from the family of Darshaan and the product of a filly-foal scheme with the Aga Khan who owns the mare. I’d expect her to come along slowlky but hopefully to be out in April/May. The second filly is Gamble, who is by Galileo out of a half-sister to Elmamul and Reams of Verse and again emanating from a similar foal scheme but with Khaled Abdulla. Like Dallifour she gets mentions on the gallops but like her she is also worth a lot as a broodmare prospect. (By the way I do expect Charlton’s Candoluminescence (by Dansili out of Flash of Gold [a Darshan half-sister to Flight of Fancy]) to win races).
    Again it’s very early to look at the 2yo prospects but it’s worth mentioning a few. The Queen usually sends her faster types to Hannon and he has 3 we could see quite early. The first is Musical Comedy (a Royal Applause colt out of Spinning Top so half-sister to the useful Humdrum), the second is Kinloss ( a Khelyf filly out of Celtic Cross: so one of the few remaining fillies from the magnificent Feola family the Queen now has), and Bold Spirit. This Invincible Spirit colt is out of a half-sister to Danehill, and emanating from the Abdulla relationship. With Danehill a direct female line decendant of Northern Dancer’s dam Natalma the Queen must wish this was a filly and that in the future this relationship will produce a filly for her own stud.
    Of the other 2yos I’d pick out Good Hope (a filly by Cape Cross), Silver Mirage (a filly by Oasis Dream), Queen’s Prize (a Dansili half-sister to Bold Sniper) and Sharp Lookout (a Sharmadal colt) from her own families, and Dalmatia (a Cape Cross filly out of a half-sister to Dalakhani), Shama (a Danehill dancer filly out of a Shergar family mare) and Fiery Sunset (a Galileo filly out of an El Gran Senor family mare) from her foal schemes.
    The Royal Stud is going through a revolution. In the 40s and 50s the Royal Stud bet heavily on Hyperion blood and it seemed to pay off until the mid-60s. But the man at the helm then was against Nearco/Nasrullah blood and opportunities were lost as this blood swept its way across the thoroughbred breeding map. Later another man at the helm sent many primely bred Royal mares to quirky stallions like Town and Country and Shiny Tenth, just weakening the blood. Now the stud is being rebuilt with imported fillies and matings that will refresh the stud enormously. One problem is will the Queen live long enough to see this replenishment end in the type of reward she desires? Another is who amongst the ranks of the Royals will pick up the tradition of the Royal Stud that stretches back to the 1500s.

For now my concern is the coming season and mid-year I’ll give an update if felt worthwhile.

3. Tamerlo

Tamerlo Well-Known Member

Bustino, another very informative piece. Unfortunately I can't contribute much by way of reply- breeding just isn't my forte!
    Some of the horses' names do stir my memory though.....Reform obviously but also Hellenic. Michael Sobell called many of his horses after "Greek connections." I remember backing one of his horses called Homeric.
    From the Ballymacoll horses mentioned above, I'll be interested to see how Jone Des Champs fares. The late Montjeu has certainly sired some tremendous middle distance horses. In contrast, Desert Bloom's sire, Pilsudski, seems to have fired nothing but blanks. Maybe Jone Des Champs will emulate- or exceed- the exploits of his half-brother, Fiorente.

4. Bustino74

Well Tamerlo, the horse, was a half-brother to Homeric's dam! (Homeric is the sire of Hellenic's dam, so in the pedigree of Islington, Patkai, Fiorente etc.).
    Yes Pilsudski seems to have been a flop as a sire. Desert Bloom by him and out of an Oasis Dream half-sister to Hellenic didn't ever run. But her first three foals all won and Fiorente seemed fairly useful. So I'm not surprised you picked out Jone des Champs.

5. Bustino74

I return to these two owner-breeders earlier than expected following a surprisingly positive start to the season. Both have had 3 winners and the signs look reasonable to good. Ballymacoll have had 3 winners from 5 runners, and one of the others was placed: not a bad start to what I thought would be a bridge to a better year next year.So first Ballymacoll:-
    Ballymacoll have had two wins from Theodore Gericault who took his second race at Pontefract in a much more pleasing style than he won his all-weather maiden. A few years ago Stoute trained the same owner’s Stage Gift, who also gelded after a non-winning 2yo season, went on to win 4 races as a 3yo (including a Group 3). Theodore Gericault seems on a similar career trajectory, don’t be surprised to see him turn up at Epsom on Derby day for the opening handicap which Stage Gift and Conduit won. Perhaps more interesting was the victory of Centred. On the same day at Pontefract she, although running in snatches, put in a pleasing effort to ultimately win quite easily. Now a fillies handicap at ‘Ponte’ isn’t the be all and all but for one thing Centered looked as if she had improved a lot over the winter. She is beautifully bred, being by Dalakhani out of a Caerleon mare who has produced an Irish Oaks 2nd and also a Group 2 winner. The second of these, Eleanora Duse, started her 3yo career by running 2nd in a Ripon handicap and then aiming higher and taking a 3rd place in the Musidora. I can see Centered getting to listed company at the very least if she improves like her half-sister. She should also stay further than her sisters.
    The second thing is that Centred appears to be at least 4th in the pecking order of Ballymacoll’s fillies. First is Liber Nauticus and she presumably will reappear in the Musidora. I’d have said Auld Alliance was second, but the recent entry of Bohemian Dancer for the Ribblesdale makes me think this Dansili daughter of Islington has shown a bit more since her debut at Newbury in April. It was a tough maiden but she had been backed as if expected to run a big race. She jumped off well but was then unnacountably pulled back to nearly last and continued there to the straight (Moore sometimes frustrates me in this tactic which he often uses with first time out horses rather than letting them use themselves). She made progress in the straight but then her run flattened out somewhat before staying on. To be next entered for the biggest fillies Group 2 of the year Bohemian Dance must have come on. If she is going to be any good (and if this entry is worthwhile) she must win next time out.
    The filly she seems to have usurped in the pecking order has also run and Auld Alliance ran a perfectly good race when third at Sandown in a similarly strong maiden. She did everything right, but not quick enough and may be more ready next time as well. But she’s unlikely to contest the Oaks for which she’s still entered. So Ballymacoll seem to have 4 good staying fillies and it will be surprising if they don’t win a fair amount of races between them. The stud has its lowest number of mares ever (18) at the moment and when you see these four fillies and add Supernova Heights (possibly the last daughter of Athene) you can see that they may have 5 new broodmares in the paddocks next year. There is another 3yo filly and there’s no knowing her ability. Her dam Scottish Stage (by Selkirk and the Irish Oaks 2nd half-sister of Centered) has so far produced a couple of ratbags (despite them both winning races): I reserve my opinion on Northern Meeting.
    As mentioned there is only one entire 3yo colt owned by Ballymacoll and that is the unraced Arab Spring. By Monsun out of Glass Harmonium’s dam he is getting mentions on the gallops. He should run soon and he should be useful at between 10 and 12f.
    The other Stoute inmate worth mentioning is Sir John Hawkwood who runs tomorrow. He looked very good on both occasions he won last year. He tackles 12f for the first time and if his work is to be believed this now gelded 4yo has come on from last year. He is Balymacoll’s first produce by Sir Percy, their second is Theodore Gericault and the third is TG’s full-brother Rochambeau. In fact Sir Percy has provided Ballymacoll with a third of their last 12 winners. This sire has done a lot better than people thought he would and I’d be surprised if they don’t use him a lot more with their increasingly Northern Dancer infused mares. (The Royal Stud piece will follow).

6. Gladness

Gladness Member

When Sir Percy won the Derby I thought he was one of the out-crosses we were looking for; true he has one line of Northern Dancer but he has a very solid English staying bottom half. I am pleased he is exceeding exceptions. Too much Northern & Native Dancer in pedigrees, even some Grand National runners were inbred 3x3.

7. Gladness

Gladness Member

Sorry meant to say expectations.

8. Bustino74

Thanks Gladness for your reply. Yes a very English bottom half. Most people will either not know or have forgotten how good a filly Percy's Lass was. Yes she wasn't as good as Indian Skimmer and Miesque, her contemporaries, but when she ran against them she was often talked about as having a chance if she behaved herself. She was a bit of a madam, but thankfully her son wasn't, and what is good is that he gets 2yo winners as well.
    Percy's Lass comes from the wonderful Horama family that produced so many wonderful horses for the Mollers. It's a pity they didn't have relatives to keep their great stud going.

9. Bustino74

So to today the Queen has had 3 winners. Pride of place must go to the Sagaro Stakes winner Estimate who had a no-nonsense victory over a lot of journeymen stayers. There doesn't appear to be great strength in depth in the stayers ranks this year and Estimate being a half-sister to the 1999 Gold Cup winner Enzeli must have a good chance of getting the trip and being at least placed.
    The Queen's second winner was Sea Shanty, an Elusive Quality gelding out of the Queen's useful filly Medley. He won very handily on his 3yo debut and one can see this well-bred gelding going on to much better things over 8-9f. He may be the sort to turn out at Royal Ascot in the Britannia Stakes.
    The first winner of the season was Sign Manual who comes from the Royal Stud's oldest family. This Motivator gelding is not of the quality of his forebears but there was a lot to like about his 16f handicap win at Newbury, not least the ride Hayley Turner gave him. Sign Manual was mentioned a bit as a 2yo but never ran. He then was gelded and as a 3yo appeared to be picking things up but rather slowly. He's now entered for the Ascot Stakes and while that may just illustrate that the owner likes to run horses at her own meeting he is likely to pick up races at 2miles +.
    So what of the rest. If I had to pick one to follow next time out it would be Prince's Trust, who ran 5th at Newbury. In the same race Bold Sniper made his debut and although not showing any headstrong attitudes ran only a moderate race. They must have thought something of him. Dalliefour who I thought was looking to be a leading filly for her owner rather ran a disappointing race at Newbury. It may have been the going and she needs watching next time out.
    As regards 2yos then Musical Comedy has already been entered and could be an early sort for the Queen.
    Estimate aside, the Royal Studs badly need a useful 2yo to come though this year. There has been a lot of investment with a lot of top sires used. The 3yos may win races but there's no star there it appears. A really good quality 2yo is needed to come through. The only comment I can make at the moment is that Sharp Lookout has gone into training with Charlton and should hopefully be seen out this side of August.

10. Bustino74

The good season for both these studs continues despite the defeat of Liber Nauticus. Ballymacoll have won 6 races from 15 runners with Sir John Hawkwood being the leading light in two good wins over 10 and 12f. As hoped for he has toughened up and although now needing to take on condition races should pick up at least a Group 3. Moore’s comment that “Stoute has some good horses this year hasn’t he” was an interesting one to make after SJH’s second win at York.
    Centred didn’t follow up her maiden win but showed enough in her subsequent defeat to make one think that more races over 12 to 14f are within her grasp. The spotlight however now falls on her younger brother Juvenile Lead. Not only is he Stoute’s first 2yo of the year he’s the first Sea the Stars offspring to run, so that probably makes him the most interesting horse running today. Plenty of good horses have run early as 2yos, George Washington springs to mind recently and Mill Reef ran mid-May as a 2yo but this is the earliest Ballymacoll 2yo in sometime (a horse from this very family has won the Coventry Stakes for these owners by the way). He may not be fully wound up first time but I’d be very surprised if he doesn’t show something today.
    Ballymacoll’s only entire 3yo Arab Spring duly appeared at Newmarket and ran a fine race full of promise. I think he can go a long way and I wouldn’t be surprised to see him entered for a maiden over 12f at either Newbury or Newmarket mid-June. Then I can see Goodwood beckoning. He looks a really good prospect.
    Auld Alliance came up against a good one in Cecil’s Riposte (a half-sister to Frankel’s dam). She won’t meet so many good ones in the future and should win a 12f+ maiden and then go on to better things. Bohemian Dancer was a big disappointment in her second outing and needs to be watched. It is amazing how a good filly like Islington is proving so disappointing as a broodmare. The final filly Northern Meeting duly came out and ran a better than expected race. She didn’t appear to show any of the rogueish characteristics of her siblings so may come on for that first run.

Meanwhile the Royal Studs added to their tally with two wins from Sea Shanty, a win from Prince's Trust and also Bold Sniper: so they are now at 7 winners. The latter reappears today and the addition of a hood seemed to change the outlook of this New Approach colt. He absolutely loaped to victory at Thirsk and I can see him improving a good deal on that. Prince's Trust was just as impressive at Newmarket and he goes to Ascot for the Britannia.
    Of the brought in horses Dalliefour should get off the mark soon. Circus Turn who couldn't have been more disappointing on his debut ran a much better race next time out and should go in this week. Another Street Cry gelding Berkeley House (who ran 3rd on his 2yo debut) will reappear soon and should be good enough to score.
    None of the 2yos have appeared yet, though Musical Comedy and Bold Spirit have both been entered. These are both with Hannon and I'd expect to see them in June sometime.
    Finally I should say a few words about Pythagorean. This Oasis Dream gelding is shown as bred by Juddmonte and is owned by Sheikh Khaled but is one of the foals involved in the switches with the Royal Stud. Apparently he was the apple of Charlton's eye as a 2yo but proved to be a bit of a nutcase on the racecourse. Now two stone lighter he is putting his mind to the job and has had two quickfire wins. Expect him to get better. So it's not all in one direction with the Queen.

11. Bustino74

The Queen won her first Group 1 since Unknown Quantity won a Grade 1 handicap at Arlington in 1989 (her last UK Group 1 winner was Height of Fashion in 1981) when Estimate won the Gold Cup. Technically she's not Royal Bred as she was bred by the Aga Khan, but no doubt she will join the Royal Studs as their first Gold Cup winning mare. The Queen has now had 9 winners this year and is scoring at a much higher strike rate. Next in line to Estimate must be Bold Sniper who ran a better race than his 3rd in the King George V Handicap Stakes at Royal Ascot first appears. He was badly drawn and Moore was having to get about him earlier than he'd have wanted to. This colts next race will be interesting as Stoute may keep him in Handicaps or maybe up him to Listed class.
    Sea Shanty ran in the Britannia and didn't run badly. He looked as if he could stay a bit further than 8f. He is very exposed with 3 handicap wins so will have to be watched. Prince's Trust dodged Royal Ascot and may have a bigger future than Sea Shanty, and should be followed on his next couple of outings. Candoluminescence ran a fair seasonal debut over 8f at Salisbury and upped to 10f should get a race sometime.
    Of the brought in horses (other than Estimate) it's been fairly slim pickings, although Gamble (a Galileo filly out of a half-sister to Reams of Verse!!!) should win a small race. I'm sure Dalliefour and Circus Turn will win eventually but are no great shakes.
    On the 2yo front only Musical Comedy has so far run. He should be straighter second time out. The Queen has not had a 2yo winner since Free Verse in 2011, but it is to be hoped she'll have a few this year. William Haggas has joined the ranks of the Queen's trainers and has Verglas colt called Purple Spectrum who should appear soon. Bell has been sent Silver Mirage (an Oasis Dream half-sister to Oaks 2nd Flight of Fancy) and she could be useful. Bell also has a filly whose breeding I'm keen on and that is Good Hope (by Cape Cross out of Fairy Godmother: a good filly from the Queen's best family). Charlton has Border Legend's New Approach half-brother Dumfries House.

At Ballymacoll they've almost equalled last year's score by July Ist. They had a quiet Royal Ascot with Sir John Hawkwood proving disappointing in the Hardwicke. Apparently he is not long for these shores, and the maiden colt Arab Spring will soon be the oldest male flag-bearer. When he does reappear this colt should be followed.
    Centred has added to her 10f win with another handicap over 12f at Pontefract. She can go on to better things and this Dalakhani half-sister to the ill-fated Juvenile Lead must be some compensation for Ballymacoll. The horse that could be the one for fillies staying events is Auld Alliance. She was beaten by Riposte on her start before picking up her maiden and should perhaps be rated a little higher than she currently is. Bohemian Dance slowly seems to be picking up the idea and should win at least a maiden. Liber Nauticus is still being entered as if she was special and if she doesn't take in the Irish Oaks (which looks a better race than their Derby) will possibly go to York.
    I'm certain Ballymacoll have some cracking 2yos. I'll talk more about them in a month's time but for now 2 are being noted on the gallops. The first is the Cape Cross colt called Song of Namibia, a half-brother to Glass Harmonium. This colt, whose dam is a half-sister to Conduit, will be a better 3yo but Glass Harmonium won as a 2yo and was a Dewhurst entry. The second colt is Festival Theatre, by Danehill Dancer out of the Irish Oaks second Scottish Stage. Scottish Stage was a useful 2yo and I'd expect to see Festival Theatre out soon. These two may not be the best of their youngsters but they are forward enough to feature on the gallops now.

12. Janabelle13

Janabelle13 Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure that Height of Fashion did not win a G1 (although one of the races she won subsequently did become a G1). She did produce Nashwan, Nayef etc etc. Dunfermline (Oaks & St Leger) was HMs last G1 winner in the UK prior to Estimate.

13. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

It's shame really that she actually won 2 races that were subsequently upgraded to G1 status. The Fillies' Mile was promoted from G3 to G2 level in 1986 and then to G1 in 1990. The Princess of Wales' Stakes was promoted to G1 status in 2000. Fantastic mare.

14. Janabelle13

Janabelle13 Well-Known Member

Ron - only one of the races she won has been promoted to G1 level. The Princess of Wales St (12f at Newmarket) is still G2. The Prince of Wales St (10f at Royal Ascot is G1)

15. Bustino74

Janabelle,
    You are quite right on all counts. She won the Acomb, May Hill and Fillies Mile and was rated top filly but the last one wasn't a Group 1 then.

16. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Oops. Thanks for that Janabelle.

17. Bustino74

Just an update: Dalmatia a filly trained for the Queen by Stoute seems to be being seen to good effect. By Cape Cross out of the Sadler's Wells mare Daltaya she couldn't be better related to some of the Aga Khan's stock as Daltaya is a half-sister to Dalakhani and Daylami.

Arab Spring has a Voltigeur entry. Presumably he's going to have to win a maiden first.

18. Bustino74

The Queen has now won 11 races this year, but has won more win-money than she has for a very long time. She is yet to have a 2yo winner and badly needs one. Her fillies at Bell's stable (Good Hope, Silver Mirage) don't seem to be setting the world alight, and it'll be some time before they put a winning score up. However Dalmatia is entered to run at Doncaster and Newmarket this week and I'd expect a forward show even if she doesn't win. She may be beaten to the position of first winner as Musical Comedy appears tonight at Windsor and must have a good chance.

Bold Sniper seems to continue to improve. That was a smart effort on Saturday and he'll win more as long as the handicapper doesn't finish him off. His dam Daring Aim does not seem to pass on too much of her waywardness to her offspring ( 4 foals to race, all winners) and this is the best one so far. It's not clear who has the Dansili half-sister called Queen's Prize, and to follow up is another half-sister by Mastercraftsman called Dexterous.

19. Bustino74

Coming towards York I decided to take stock of Ballymacoll and their prospects for the rest of the season and farther ahead. With 10 ‘owned’ winners so far this year they have already beaten their last two season’s results, but there have been many changes to the original line-up. Sir John Hawkwood has gone, sold to race in Australia, therefore leaving the owners with no older horse. Liber Nauticus, their big hope for the year, has been retired after an injury and a failed wind operation. In addition their first 2yo runner, the Sea the Stars colt Juvenile Lead, died on the gallops. They now have only 17 horses in training, and two 2yo fillies hopefully waiting to go into training: Long View (a Galileo half-sister to Golan) and Conveyor Belt (by Pivotal out of a full-sister to Golan).

With the hoped-for big-hitters gone the focus must go on to a couple of fillies, Centred (who has won twice from 2 runs) and Northern Meeting (who won her second race quite promisingly). On the latter’s third outing at Goodwood she came to win her race but then faded in the last furlong. Either she is still weak or she has not the firepower Fallon seemed to think she had when he won on her. Centred has had a rest and hopefully will have the ability to get some black type. Auld Alliance has proved a little disappointing, while Bohemian Dance appears a bit slow (what a disappointment Islington is: they should sell her).

There is one 3yo entire colt called Arab Spring, who ran once in May, was then entered for the Voltigeur and promptly disappeared from view. I was certain he’d be a good horse and when he’s ready should be followed. Twice-winning gelding Theodore Gericault, under the right conditions and distance, will win at least another race.

Of the 2yos there is already a winner, when last week Festival Theatre went in at Kempton. He is a Danehill Dancer brother to Northern Meeting, and despite me being less than complimentary about the first two foals of their dam Scottish Stage she has now had four winners from four foals. Festival Theatre looks as if he can go on to better things. The dam has a colt by Dalakhani for next year.
    None of the rest has run, but a few have got mentions on the gallops, so for as much as that’s worth I’ll concentrate on them. The most interesting seen so far has been Jone des Champs, a Montjeu half-brother to Fiorente. On paper this would seem Ballymacoll’s most likely Derby colt, but he’ll have to get a run in this year to underline that possibility. Recently mentioned was the Danehill Dancer colt Montone, who is the first foal of Leocorno (a Pivotal half-sister to Golan). Leocorno won first time out as a 2yo and it wouldn’t be surprising to see the Derby entered Montone out in September/October. Leocorno has a yearling colt by Oasis Dream and has so far (like Scottish Stage) produced every year at stud. Another who has had good mentions has been the well-named Song of Namibia (by Cape Cross out of Glass Harmonium’s dam Spring Symphony). In work he has seemed the equal or better of Festival Theatre. The dam has a yearling by Azamour for training next year.

Stoute also trains the mentioned Tercel, by Monsun out of Kitty Hawk. This mare is not traditional Ballymacoll blood, but purchased a few years back and is from the famous Mrs Moss family. So far the investment has shown nothing in return but Monsun has been a relatively lucky sire for Ballymacoll. Last of all is Emerald Swell (trained by Meehan). This filly has something to prove. By Dalakhani out of Dance of the Sea, she is not only full-sister to the extremely disappointing Nibani but Ballymacoll have sold the mare, who was a half-sister to Spectrum, Well Head (dam of Conduit), Spring Symphony (dam of Glass Harmonium) and countless others: best watched the first few times out.

Talking of reliable mares Olympienne had four consecutive colts in Patkai, Saptapadi, Modun and El Greco. The first three were winners and the fourth died as a young maiden 3yo (that usually stops them). She has a 2yo called Pas de Cheval (not so far mentioned) by Pivotal, who should follow on the family tradition, and she has a first (yearling) filly by Fastnet Rock.

20. Bustino74

For the Royal Stud it’s been a bit quiet recently. Estimate is obviously the leading light for The Queen, and after her Gold Cup win is next likely to appear at York in the Lonsdale Stakes. Her target is apparently the Irish St Leger, although I suppose the Cadran must be an option. Next in line is Bold Sniper, who has run really well up until his last outing at Goodwood, where he kept ducking in towards the rails. After having run in a hood the last 4 times (winning 3 of them) for some reason they left it off. His next run should be watched with interest and he should be capable of picking up a Group 3 race. His dam’s 2yo is Queen’s Prize (by Dansili) but has not been mentioned yet.

Next in line for the Queen must be the two 3yos Prince’s Trust and Sea Shanty, both trained by Hannon. The stable seems to rate the former and he is being shielded from firm ground. He could be an Autumn colt (yes it does look as if he is a colt) and it’s unfortunate that the Royal Stud lost both the granddam (a daughter of All Along) and dam (by Galileo) in quick succession. Sea Shanty has won 3 times and it looked as if the handicapper may have had his measure, but his last run was very gutsy and this gelding can win again.

Other than that there’s not been much to shout about and The Queen is still awaiting her first 2yo winner in nearly 2 years (best so far has been a 2nd from Bold Spirit). To appear soon is a filly the stud would dearly love to win and that is Cape Cross’s Kinloss (by Khelyf). This is the last foal of Celtic Cross (by Selkirk out of Abbey Strand) a half-sister to the Group 1 winning Right Approach. More important she is one of the few remaining relatives of The Queen’s best family, which has been in the stud since the mid ‘30s. This is the Feola family and lists amongst its descendants, Hypericum, Aureole, Round Table, Highclere, Nashwan, Nayef and Ghanaati (all Group 1 winners). There are now only 2 mares from this family in the stud (may be 3 if fresher Dawn Glory is included) and the leading light is Fairy Godmother (by Fairy King out of a daughter of Highclere). She has an aptly named 2yo filly called Good Hope, who is coming along slowly at Michael Bell’s. The dam has a Dubawi colt called Awesome Power, who hopefully is well named, to follow next year.

The other news for The Queen is that she has a new trainer in William Haggas. So far it’s only known that he’s been sent a Verglas 2yo colt called Purple Spectrum. The best branch of this family trace back to the Ribblesdale winner Phantom Gold and her sisters. Silver Mirage a filly, unsurprisingly by Oasis Dream, is Phantom Gold’s 2yo this year and again is coming along slowly at Bell’s. Sharp Lookout has already been mentioned and so the only other worthy of comment here is Trepidation by Danehill Dancer out of a Nayef half-sister to Phantom Gold, who hopefully isn’t aptly named.

Next years 2yos look an interesting bunch but that’s for then. Of the brought-in 2yos Dalmatia has already run. It was a typical Stoute introduction and more can be expected next time out from this Cape Cross filly out of a half-sister to Daylami and Dalakhani (by the way she’s a most taking grey). The other stand out pedigree is Shama, a Danehill Dancer filly out of Shamadara (who just happens to be a granddaughter of Shergar’s dam) who was 2nd in the Irish Oaks.

As I write this I am struck by how many times the names Oasis Dream, Cape Cross and Danehill Dancer appear. The Danzig line is becoming the dominant feature in well-established studs trying to inject speed into their families. Soon an outcross who is not predominantly Northern Dancer (or Native Dancer) blood is going to be needed.