1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Fleetwood Town v Sunderland – Saturday 18th September 2021 - KO 15:00

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by RTB, Sep 16, 2021.

?

Your prediction

Poll closed Sep 18, 2021.
  1. Home win (FTFC)

4.0%
  2. Away win (SAFC)

85.3%
  3. Draw

10.7%
  1. RTB

RTB Well-Known Member

Sunderland visit Fleetwood in the Skybet League One
    FTFCvSAFC.GIF
    Last time out Sunderland beat Accrington and Fleetwood beat Rotherham.
    Sunderland extended their lead at the top of League One with 15 points from a possible 18.
    Tom Flanagan will sit out Sunderland's trip to Fleetwood Town next weekend, forcing Lee Johnson to break up his ever-present League One central defensive pairing. Flanagan was booked in Sunderland's 2-1 win against Accrington Stanley, taking his tally for the season to five following cautions against MK Dons, Burton, AFC Wimbledon, and Wycombe Wanderers. After reaching the five-booking mark, he must now serve a one-match suspension, which will rule him out of the game against Simon Grayson's Fleetwood at Highbury Stadium.
    Leon Dajaku is getting closer to regaining match fitness, Luke O’Nien still has an issue with his shoulder and Corry Evans could return to the side after missing the last few games with a hamstring problem. Arby Xhemajli and Denver Hume are back in training but are not close to a return yet.
    Simon Grayson’s Fleetwood sit in 17th position and have 7 points from 6 games, having conceded 9 goals and they are yet to keep a cleansheet.
    Town have lifted themselves out of early obscurity with two wins from their last three and some clinical performances. An impressive second-half turnaround against a highly-rated Rotherham United side gave the Cod Army a 4-2 win at the New York Stadium last time out, with goals being shared throughout the team.
    Lee Johnson:
    please log in to view this image

"He's (Arby) trained properly for the last couple of days and that's real heartwarming, because I know how hard he's had to work and how hard to work the physios to get to this point.
    "That's really good news for us. It's really important that we protect him because it was a really, really bad injury. I'm wincing every time he goes in for a 50/50 but every time he comes out of it, that belief from all of us grows stronger.
    "He looks strong, solid and he's a great professional. It can't have been easy to move to a new country, and then get an injury like that almost straight away.
    "It would be easy for him to feel a bit isolated but he's a top professional. We took him up to Edinburgh in pre-season so he could feel a part of it and I think he does feel a part of it here."
    “Denver is progressing well, we’ve had three pretty intense days of training – two on the pitch and one off it – so he probably needs a day’s rest, but he’s moving well as he always does, looking powerful.
    “Leon is coming along well too. He was never a million miles off it, he was just unconditioned in terms of the match scenarios – we have to manage that and we have an opportunity to play him in one of the next two games, Saturday or Tuesday,” explained the gaffer.
    “I definitely feel that he has a start in him and anything up to 55-60 minutes, or a game-changing 15-20 minutes in the second half.
    Simon Grayson:
    “I don’t focus on the league table, nor do I read it at this point and I’m not interested in what other teams do, our main focus is how we’re doing. Sunderland are top of the table but we have to make sure that we embrace these games”
    “Not many teams enjoy coming to Highbury. They will look at us and see that we’re on a decent run of form and have some quality players.
    “We do have to respect Sunderland though, they will think they’re far too big for the division and will think they have been here for far too long.
    “No-one has a divine right to get out of the division, you have to earn it.”

Form.GIF
    Match Appointments:
    Referee:
    NEIL HAIR
    Assistant Referees: Mark Cunliffe and Lewis Raper
    Fourth Official: Alan Clayton

Team Line ups
    Sunderland:
    Hoffmann; Cirkin, Doyle, Wright, Winchester; O’Nien, Embleton, Neil; McGeady, Gooch, Stewart.
    Team.gif
    Subs: Burge, Huggins, Alves, Evans, Dajaku, O’Brien, Broadhead
    Suspended: Flanagan
    Injured: Xhemajli, Willis, Hume.

Fleetwood Town: Cairns, Andrew, Clarke, D Johnson, Morton, Camps, Rossiter, G Garner, Hill, C Johnson, Biggins.
    Subs: Crellin, J Garner, Edmundson, Clark, Lane, Matete, Johnston.
    Injured: Halliday

Betting Odds:
    Sunderland
    21/20 Fleetwood 5/2 Draw 23/10

My two pence:
    Another game, another win, Hoffmann had a bit of a nervy start and a few scares but he should be fine after a few games to settle in.
    Well at least it's not the Joey Barton show this weekend. Let's hope that Simon Grayson has bored his players stupid with his dulcet tones and slick flip chart presentations.

I’m going for a 2-1 away win.

Live stream: (for overseas fans only)
    https://www.safc.com/news/team-news/live-video

Ha’way the Lads

Last edited: Sep 16, 2021
    Mick Sterbs, DH4, Chip and 21 others like this.
  2. master-simpson

master-simpson Well-Known Member

0-2 HAWAY!!

Bart

Guy Incognito and RTB like this.
  3. Vincemac

Vincemac Well-Known Member

Cheers mate

RTB likes this.
  4. Gil T Azell

Gil T Azell Well-Known Member

They have begun to play well but we are better. 1-3

Cheers RTB.

5. Oliver's Army

Oliver's Army Well-Known Member

Got a feeling Evans will come back in for this one for Onien after the amount of times his shoulder popped out. I think Wright will replace Flanno. 1-3 to the Lads, Stewart, Geads and Doyle. HTL

RTB likes this.
  6. Sunderpitt

Sunderpitt Well-Known Member

<applause> RTB

Well here's hoping we can keep the winning run going....

Is there going to be a stream anywhere?

RTB likes this.
  7. RTB

RTB Well-Known Member

Not a legal one (in the UK) but probably. I'm sure @Makemstine Roger will post one.

Makemstine Roger and Sunderpitt like this.
  8. Ozzymac

Ozzymac Well-Known Member

Great thread as per usual RTB

Clean sheet time 2 nil to the lads

Sunderpitt and RTB like this.
  9. RTB

RTB Well-Known Member

Hmmm can't see that happening but Embleton or Gooch is due a screamer into the top corner.

Robertson and Sunderpitt like this.
  10. Smug in Boots

Smug in Boots Well-Known Member

We're blessed with these threads tbh.

I'm in quite a laconic mood tonight but I have to say I'm feeling part of something bigger than the sum of it's parts.

Haway Sunderland, just win FFS.

11. Teessidemackem

Teessidemackem Well-Known Member

Here you go mate..

natureza-nature.gif

12. LD19SAFC

LD19SAFC Well-Known Member

Tough game but one I think we’ll win. 2 home games coming up after this one, what a position we’d be in with 3 points tomorrow!

RTB and smithy in nl like this.
  13. Nordic

Nordic Well-Known Member

Thanks for the team talk Simon, yer bellend. we like well earned wins, and here’s to another one on Saturday. 1:3

“….Sunderland…..will think they’re far too big for the division and will think they have been here for far too long. No-one has a divine right to get out of the division, you have to earn it.”

Nig, smithy in nl, Robertson and 4 others like this.
  14. Sunderlad

Sunderlad Well-Known Member

FAB Post as ever @RTB. Going for a 1-3 win - scorers (Stewart x2, Gooch)

Makemstine Roger and RTB like this.
  15. marcusblackcat

marcusblackcat SAFC Sheriff
    Forum Moderator

Hoffman made me far more nervous than Burge ever has!! Hope it was just nerves (and can only imagine the threads on here if Burge had a game like that!)

Wish I could watch this. Stupid that the league have re-set the rules so you can’t stream in the UK

Robertson and RTB like this.
  16. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

Give him time man, if he's still nervy after half a season then it'll be justified to criticise.

Robertson, Makemstine Roger and RTB like this.
  17. LD19SAFC

LD19SAFC Well-Known Member

Who wouldn’t be nervous in their first game in a new country? Hoffman will prove to be a lot better than Burge.

18. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

It'd be surprising if he didn't given his background and how good our recruitment team has been at picking a player.

He's also four or five inches taller and over two stone heavier than Burge so when he does find his feet there won't be many attackers who will be able to stop him claiming crosses.

Just need to allow him time to settle in.

smithy in nl, Nordic, RTB and 4 others like this.
  19. Oliver's Army

Oliver's Army Well-Known Member

Info for those who are going down...

Robertson and RTB like this.
  20. cumbrianmackem

cumbrianmackem Well-Known Member

Any win will do for me, but a no finger nail biting last twenty minutes would be nice.
    Great thread again RTB.
    Ps Noted we seem to have a Lot of 1- 1 draws in our recent past history but surely not tomorrow.

RTB likes this.