1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Fleetwood Town vs Ipswich Town

Discussion in 'Ipswich Town' started by Nuggets, Oct 4, 2019.

1. TopBunk

TopBunk Active Member

Gerrin

2. San Diego

San Diego Sir Mediator
    Forum Moderator

Well that was a great game to win, a scrappy, tough match against a Fleetwood side that can play football and a referee that wanted to be centre of attention.
    Fleetwood closed us down quickly in the first half which forced us to play a long ball game for most of the first 45. The press wasn't as aggressive in the second half and we got the ball down more and played some good stuff in patches.
    You could see early on that it was a game that would see at least one red card. The tackles were strong, mistimed and added fuel to the emotions of a tense affair.
    The officials added to the tension with some bad, odd and downright ridiculous decisions made by the man in the middle.

Holy - a couple of flaps that had the heart beating but also took some good crosses out of the air at the best possible moments to relieve the pressure at the end.
    KVY - good game, nearly scored another goal after a mazy run into the box from the right
    Woolf - decent performance again
    Chambers - solid today, made some great tackles and blocks
    Wilson - stupid first yellow card, deserved second as he took one for the team and got sent off
    Garbutt - another really good game from Luke. A great free kick that led to the goal and quality balls from corners and throw-ins
    Skuse - good in the middle again
    Downes - got in among the Fleetwood lads with some good challenges
    Nolan - quiet first half, more influential in the second half. I prefer him to Judge in the support role at the moment
    Jackson - comical penalty aside, Kayden had a great game today. Profited from the Garbutt free kick rebound again and made good runs in behind. I thought he made the right choice by squaring the ball to Nolan on a break, just a pity Nolan couldn't make up the ground
    Norwood - not great today but didn't have an easy game against the giant CBs of Fleetwood. He looks like he's trying too hard to score instead of using his natural instinct

All in all, we'll take the three points and run back to Suffolk. Fleetwood put us under pressure but couldn't keep it up and eventually the quality of our squad got the job done.

Another win and we remain top.

Well done lads <applause>

Nuggets and Southcoastoldgaffer like this.
  3. Bigalreigned

Bigalreigned Well-Known Member

The first half sounds very much like last week.Teams seem to think they’ll try and rip us a new one in the first half and then run out of steam so we can get the ball down and outplay them in the the second half.I’d settle for that all Season!!

4. San Diego

San Diego Sir Mediator
    Forum Moderator

The match today did play out similar to last week, as you say.
    Last week we changed it by moving Skuse forward into midfield and we got hold of the game that way. Today was more a case of Fleetwood players tiring after the high press of the first half which allowed us more time on the ball at the back to build from there.

It wasn't great viewing today and the ref was appalling, especially when he gave a goal kick when the decision really should have between did the foul on Jackson occur in or outside of the box. Both teams were guilty of some reckless challenges and I was surprised there weren't more flare ups in the match. At one point I thought Norwood was going to talk himself into a second yellow card when he was berating the linesman.

All we can do is keep getting the points in this league to get out of it but we'll need to play better if we return to the championship and want to remain there.

5. Bigalreigned

Bigalreigned Well-Known Member

We’ve now played half (?) the sides in this division and I don’t think we’ve seen anyone to really fear yet.

After the last, how many Seasons?I know it’s difficult to be positive as a Town fan but come on,let’s hope this is payback.I’m realistic enough to know there will be bumps in the road along the way but we can’t have imagined a better start!

Southcoastoldgaffer likes this.
  6. Mike_Holmes1990

Mike_Holmes1990 Well-Known Member

Can't remember the last time we went into a match with promotion rivals and came out with three points.

A good game to win. The seasons shaping up much like how I play FIFA, clumsy unimpressive victories on a relatively easy difficulty leading me to question whether being clear at the top of the table is an accurate reflection.

However I'm starting to think that criticism is a little unfair, and maybe the season will play out like the individual games, ride the storm of the first half mostly unscathed. Start landing more pretty punches in the second.

But mostly let's just enjoy the fact we go into our second self imposed break and no team can catch us while we do that.

7. Nuggets

Nuggets Well-Known Member

On a wider note, isn't it strange how much quieter the forum has been over the past couple of months? You'd think we'd be on here all the time, making the most of some rare good times where we're topping leagues and consistently winning matches. I'm certainly guilty of this to a degree!

Having said that, relegation to League One and the sheer negativity from that terrible 2018/19 season seems to have deterred some of the more casual supporters from the forum.

8. Mike_Holmes1990

Mike_Holmes1990 Well-Known Member

I've noticed that as well. Suppose it's easier to start a debate when discussing your personal views on how to fix things.

How do we get people back?

9. Nuggets

Nuggets Well-Known Member

Lose our next ten games.

10. Redruth

Redruth Well-Known Member

I look in all the time, cannot get to games so cannot comment on them.
    I do think one or two have left due to other posters.

11. Southcoastoldgaffer

Southcoastoldgaffer Well-Known Member

I am still here, but tbh havent felt inclined to head on a long 6 hr round trip to Suffolk to watch tripe!

However, I shall be coming up soon, prob early December.

Impressive start, much to like, much to improve on, but hell we are winning matches!

Nuggets likes this.
  12. Roystonblue

Roystonblue Well-Known Member

I’m going to every Saturday home game again - shame there isn’t 1 for about 6 weeks but enjoying what I’ve seen both on the pitch and in the stands. People are going to games with smiles on their faces again

13. San Diego

San Diego Sir Mediator
    Forum Moderator

Get in!

Huws scores against Gillingham

14. San Diego

San Diego Sir Mediator
    Forum Moderator

Roberts with the second

15. Fat Boy Slim

Fat Boy Slim Member

16. San Diego

San Diego Sir Mediator
    Forum Moderator

Keane with the fourth goal!

That'll do nicely

17. stretchyboy

stretchyboy Well-Known Member

All this winning...getting a bit boring now

18. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

YorkieLancsHampyLondoner Well-Known Member

Maybe it just feels quieter because we’re no longer going round in circles bickering. We even have JWM back who was absent last year.

This is a non-season whatever happens. Even if we run away with the league I’m not sure how much credit and celebration it deserves. I certainly wouldn’t want a repeat of the budgies’ open top bus parade.

19. Westlake33

Westlake33 Well-Known Member

Hey all, going to post my one for the season.

First off, brilliant how things have gone to date. I saw 4/5 of the openers online, and we racked up points. Great! I look forward to reading stuff over the season.

In regards to how to get others, well, some will join. Others I suppose leave at a point too. From my end, I was fed up of going around in said circle ( it needed to break ) and to be honest, maybe I needed a break from it all. I’ve quit Twtd / rarely get involved in the SW group at all and despite being back in the UK, maybe this will be the first season since 01/02 I don’t attend a game. Cest la vie!!

Keep up the great work on the forum and I’m pleased the harmony is real. Until the end of the season, peace, and all take care!

20. San Diego

San Diego Sir Mediator
    Forum Moderator

Hey Westy, good to hear from you. <ok>

It's been a good start to the season for sure. I've seen every game available on iFollow so far and while the matches aren't great it is league one and we're getting results.