1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Foreign Tycoon investment ?

Discussion in 'Norwich City' started by DUNCAN DONUTS, May 27, 2022.

1. DUNCAN DONUTS

DUNCAN DONUTS SOCIAL JUSTICE WARRIOR

2. carrowcanario

carrowcanario Well-Known Member

This, maybe he's just being cautious as 1950 suggests.

3. RiverEndRick

RiverEndRick Well-Known Member

What is unclear is how much this is his individual venture and/or how much is backed by a consortium of others which may want to 'grow' the value of that 18% share. They can see the potential for that in a yo-yo club like ours, especially as other yo-yo clubs like Fulham, Watford and Bournemouth already have outside investment.

For this season, even a relatively small investment of say £10m could make a major difference in our recruitment and thus our chances of promotion, which would mean an immediate jump in the value of their 18% of the shares, which could be increased further by PL survival.

They could also see the current asset value of players like Rashica, Aarons, Gunn, Sargent and even Cantwell, as well as the potential asset value of young guns like Omobamidele, Idah, Rowe and Springett. As investments go, this would seem to be one with a lot of potential for a relatively small outlay (in their world).

Last edited: Jun 4, 2022
  4. 1950canary

1950canary Well-Known Member

I can only repeat what I learned in 40 years. I have never come across an American Businessman who would ever consider buying an 18% stake in a business and investing even a limited sum on top of that in the hope that the gamble set out by Rick came off. As a rough guide I would say that they always look for about 75% chance of success before investing. Bear in mind that American Sports are major businesses of which the 'team' is only a part and sport is classed as an entertainment of which the game is only a part of a day out.

5. RiverEndRick

I agree about caution, 1950, but as an American who emigrated to the UK in 1971, I also know that they value kudos very highly. The 18% stake would be a reasonably safe investment given City's current situation, which is what they would be buying into. Any increase in value would come from promotion and the parachute payments which follow that if relegated.

I'd say that our chance of promotion is around 75%, which would make further investment reasonable. I also doubt that the club would see much advantage in a Foulger buyout alone. The fact that Webber considers it an exciting development suggests that there is more to it than that. That's my guess anyway.

Gary Gower gives a better picture of the man and his associates:

https://norwichcity.myfootballwrite...sio-mfw-chats-with-brewers-writer-jack-stern/

Last edited: Jun 4, 2022
  6. zogean_king

zogean_king Well-Known Member

Talking about sport as a business I saw a very good interview with Delia talking about when she took over the club and the first thing they set about doing was to make the club profitable. It was haemorrhaging money left right and centre. She said it took roughly 10 years for them to get the finances sorted both off and on the pitch, she explained that they could never get the players they wanted or the staff or anything because they needed to make the business viable. With the business side working it will be interesting if there are any Norfolk businessmen around who want to waste their money. James Dyson was born in Norfolk, but I don't think he's one for investing in NCFC.

Bure budgie and RiverEndRick like this.
  7. Hairy Mary Quite Canary

Hairy Mary Quite Canary Well-Known Member

That MFW article does make him sound like a decent fit for the current Norwich strategy i.e. ensuring the club keeps costs to a sensible level and investing in the club's facilities and infrastructure rather than risking expensive player purchases. In other words he's unlikely to start trying to shake things up on arrival and I'd imagine this could be a fairly quiet transition with some fans disappointed that we're not straight in for Mbappe over the summer.

zogean_king and RiverEndRick like this.
  8. GozoCanary

GozoCanary Well-Known Member

I have to admit all this financial stuff is way over my head. I'll read through this thread and the very sizeable thread on the Pink Un and do my best to understand what the hell is going on and the implications for the club. Meanwhile, can anyone do a kind of Investment 101/Dummy's Guide for me here? Perhaps 1950s, with his financial background?

9. 1950canary

1950canary Well-Known Member

I'm not the best person to write such a guide as I spent most of my career winding up and trying to salvage something when it had all gone wrong. Within that I sometimes looked at the business plan, the overall idea, the set up and the financial backing and thought ' how the hell did this go wrong ' There are no certainties s - a bit like betting - the favourite doesn't always win.

10. RiverEndRick

Robin Sainty gives some further hints about what might be involved:

https://www.edp24.co.uk/sport/norwich-city/us-investment-norwich-city-9013316

The jist of it is this:

"Certainly, the feedback that the Trust has had from a number of contacts in the States is that Attanasio has a very fan-orientated outlook, which would seem to be a good fit with City’s community club image, and it gives the Trust a degree of reassurance as fan engagement at City has developed significantly in recent years and we would want to see that continue.

However, we have also noted that American owners taking over English clubs (and, of course, there is currently no suggestion that a takeover either now or in the future is on the table) tend to take them into private companies, which would mean that the fans would no longer have a growing shareholding in Norwich City as is currently the case. Nevertheless, that doesn’t mean that healthy fan engagement would become a thing of the past, as has been proven by the success of Trusts such as Spirit of Shankly at Liverpool, which is owned by a private company."

11. DUNCAN DONUTS

The Brewers marketing team are celebrating Pride month in style with a pre match drag show .

Coming to a soccer stadium near you soon .

Snazzy merch .

FUL6PC6WIAQMO4E.jpeg

12. zogean_king

I once ended up going to a ladyboy show at a zoo in Thailand with a Paster and my now wife. He was saying it was hard to believe that they were not women, that was an odd part of the evening

DUNCAN DONUTS likes this.
  13. DUNCAN DONUTS

You would need to be several pints in to mistake that .

glVta-1623720509-embed-JME_1624.jpg

14. zogean_king

Agreed!

15. wi-exile

wi-exile Active Member

Perhaps we should stay away from M. Attanasio as since showing an interest in NCFC his Milwaukee brewers have lost 7 games in a row.

16. DUNCAN DONUTS

I noticed that, since Googling Brewers I get notifications and they have absolutely bombed.

<laugh>

17. DUNCAN DONUTS

Brewers won 4-1 .

Wi exile curse lifter

zogean_king and wi-exile like this.
  18. DUNCAN DONUTS

Mets 4 Brewers 0<doh>

19. Walsh.i.am

Walsh.i.am Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Hmm, in typical DS and MWJ fashion, much ado about nothing.

20. carrowcanario

carrowcanario Well-Known Member

New investment looks like it's on its way. Covered in this video