1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Grand Prix thread Formula 1 Pirelli British Grand Prix 2021

Discussion in 'Formula 1' started by ched999uk, Jul 14, 2021.

?

Who will win the first race with new Quali format?

Poll closed Jul 16, 2021.
  1. Lewis Hamilton

4 vote(s)
    44.4%
  2. Max Verstappen

4 vote(s)
    44.4%
  3. Valtteri Bottas

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Sergio Perez

1 vote(s)
    11.1%
  5. Lando Norris

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Daniel Ricciardo

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Charles Leclerc

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Carlos Sainz

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Pierre Gasly

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Any other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. DHCanary

DHCanary Very Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

please log in to view this image

2. SgtBhaji

SgtBhaji Well-Known Member

They might have achieved that with a calm, measured response, but the utter outrage and suggestion that it was deliberate may just backfire on them.

Sounds like the accusations may not have gone down too well.

If they go on the attack after this decision, then they might even find themselves judged more harshly.

ched999uk and Number 1 Jasper like this.
  3. Number 1 Jasper

Number 1 Jasper Well-Known Member

Sad thing is they won't care !

4. Big Ern

Big Ern Lord, Master, Guru & Emperor

Personally I think he's the one behind RBR complaining to the FIA.

5. SgtBhaji

Think they're all at it. Peas in a pod.

6. Justjazz

Justjazz Well-Known Member

No one considering the racial abuse against Lewis that RBR have stirred up with their accusation. I think the behaviour of RBR is disgusting on more than one front. I am sure Lewis will let it go but I am angry on his behalf.

ched999uk and DHCanary like this.
  7. SgtBhaji

It was inevitable what was coming after that, which while some of what was said was in the heat of the moment, a calming of things after the event would have been helpful.

I read a really good article/blog about how it plays in to the narrative that black people are dangerous, to be feared and inadequate... Doesn't suggest it was in anyway intentional, but it does make you realize how language can give folk who think that way the motivation to then go on and use racist abuse.

I certainly don't think Horner intended that, but he was whipping up fans, especially the casuals who may not get that there was a lot going on in that incident.

Edit: Article linked below if interested. It's somewhat lengthy.
    https://medium.com/@sarahailemariam/lewis-hamilton-and-the-humanity-of-black-athletes-1898eb9dc6f9

Last edited: Jul 29, 2021
    Justjazz likes this.
  8. Justjazz

That article is well written, a lot of truths within the article. RBR have unleashed the racial abuse on Lewis. I suspect Lewis is strong enough, I hope he is, to not let it get to him. Frankly, quite upsetting. I have friends who are black or asian (my girlfriend is Indian) and they are sensitive to the unconscious racism and I see it.

ched999uk and SgtBhaji like this.
  9. SgtBhaji

I doubt he'll let it get to him. Pretty sure he's put up with more than some idiotic keyboard warrior posting while waiting for his mum to finish nuking the hot pockets for tea.

But yes, there is still a good amount of racism out there. See examples of it frequently in this part of the world (have even had KKK leaflets dropped in our yard). it seems to be less hidden than it was just a few years ago, and I can't make my mind up if that's good or bad. Easier to tackle what's in plain sight.

Justjazz likes this.
  10. Justjazz

I have a colleague who is also a friend who lives in your part of the world I believe (near Memphis). He is an ex NFL football player, played with some of the best, e.g. Dexter Manley was his room mate in training camp with Washington Red Skins, renamed Washigton Football Team now. He is good friends with Reggie White too. I hear the stories.

11. SgtBhaji

Literally a hop skip and a jump from where we are at. Hope he doesn't have to traverse the I-40 river bridge, what with it being closed due to them finding a massive crack in it.

But yeah.... The south is okay (hot as hell tho), but there is definitely a history here.

12. taeleon

taeleon Well-Known Member

I always think a lot of the racism in the UK is reactional. As in they don't really have any issues with non white people. Now don't get me wrong there are some out there who do, not denying that but I'm fairly convinced that most of the people from the UK have grown up in multi cultural environments and don't really have any issues with other races but they know saying the words will get a reaction which is what they want.

In a way for me that's worse. As wrong as I believe the opinion is at least those who truly mean it say what they mean (but still need their views changing), but to say it and not mean it is far worse as it still has the same hurtful impact on the victim but the person saying it goes on and forgets it like nothing ever happened. :(

13. Justjazz

I should have said with Reggie White's family since Reggie is dead. He organised much of Reggie's wedding.

SgtBhaji likes this.
  14. SgtBhaji

Sadly, I think there are just some plain thick people, who somehow believe they're superior because they happen to have white skin. The only reason somebody would go to race in incidents like what happened after the Euro's, is because they somehow believe that being black means inferior. Racism is alive and well, always has been. Social media and the likes of Trump and Farrage have amplified it, and in some ways made voicing such views seems acceptable to some.

15. Justjazz

The history of mankind is tribal, much of which lives on in modern day society. You see it in many different ways. Clashes between fans of different football clubs, neighbourhoods, even between employees of different companies. There is a lot to do with culture, not just skin colour. Many wars, if no all, are tribal/cultural sometimes expressed as religion. If you stop, take a bit of time getting to know a stranger, and they you, what a different world it creates. You only have to do once or twice to realises how dumb our prejudices are. Not all are capable of proper social interaction however. I will stop there, I could go on for pages.

SgtBhaji likes this.
  16. eddie_squidd

eddie_squidd Well-Known Member

I do think Lewis is judged more harshly for his actions than others are. In part because there are a lot of people who don't like his personality, but even then you have to ask what's behind that in some (and I don't mean all) cases. It only takes a bit of controversy, or a failure on his part, and all the old stuff gets dredged up again, banging on about being British and then living in Monaco for tax reasons (like most of the drivers, so surely the implication is that some people object to the idea you can be black and represent Britishness), China 2007, Crashing into Kimi in the pitlane in 2008, Liegate 2009. You know, stuff that happened over 12 years ago. Now there are idiots on social media saying the crash with Max was the same as Schumacher on Villeneuve. Claims he is a dirty driver, when his reputation is quite the opposite.

As I say some of this is a personality thing for some people, but I feel like Lewis has to constantly justify himself, and when he makes errors people will remind us why they think he has always been no good. It reminds me a bit of the Simone Biles thing that's going on at the moment. Supremely gifted, multiple-record breaking in her field, but as soon as she pulls out of a competition some people in the States are saying she can't hack pressure and even that they are ashamed of her. Like Lewis, she has nothing to prove to these numpties.

SgtBhaji, Dell Boy and Justjazz like this.
  17. Sharpe*

Sharpe* Senior Member

Its amazing how thing can change in a week or two.

Lewis was getting absolute pelters and the media and fan focus was fully on him.

RB's reaction has actually switched the negativity towards RB.

A PR mistake.

They look petty and unlikeable atm.

Justjazz likes this.
  18. SgtBhaji

It's the very top of the organization that make them look bad. It's not just been this for me, it's many things over the years. Especially the way they treat young drivers. They basically throw them to the wolves and see if they survive. The likes of Gasly cleary has talent. Given the support and time, there's a great racer there.

Justjazz likes this.
  19. Sharpe*

Sharpe* Senior Member

Agreed.

Ruthless leadership.

I read Mark Webber was on the recieving end of quite a bit.

20. eddie_squidd

eddie_squidd Well-Known Member

SgtBhaji likes this.