1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Grand Prix thread Formula 1 Rolex Magyar Nagydíj 2021

Discussion in 'Formula 1' started by ched999uk, Jul 29, 2021.

?

Who will make it through the first corner intact and win????

Poll closed Jul 31, 2021.
  1. Lewis Hamilton

9 vote(s)
    69.2%
  2. Max Verstappen

3 vote(s)
    23.1%
  3. Valtteri Bottas

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Sergio Perez

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Lando Norris

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Daniel Ricciardo

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Charles Leclerc

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Carlos Sainz

1 vote(s)
    7.7%
  9. Pierre Gasly

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Any Other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. BrightLampShade

BrightLampShade Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

To be honest it has become a bit of a guilty pleasure of mine, Dutch twitter with the auto translate.
    It makes flat earthers look positively reasonable. I'm loving it!

ched999uk and taeleon like this.
  2. taeleon

taeleon Well-Known Member

There is more salt then the Salar de Uyuni.

So many people you can tell have only got into F1 recently as they are clueless on how the sport works. Some of the crap being spewed is ridiculous.

3. eddie_squidd

eddie_squidd Well-Known Member

Twitter: more heat than light.

4. Quite Possibly Raving

Quite Possibly Raving Well-Known Member

Potentially controversial and ill informed opinion here...but...

Why is Bottas' penalty so harsh? As has been discussed ad infinitum since Silverstone, the stewards don't take the consequences of an incident into account when handing out the penalty, and from what I can see Bottas locks up and therefore slides into the back of Lando. Locking up in the wet isn't exactly unheard of and I wouldn't have thought would be deemed as punishable? What am I missing?

ched999uk likes this.
  5. DHCanary

DHCanary Very Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I think the "don't take consequences into account" means in terms of the racing outcome, not necessarily the incident outcome. Bottas made a small error, but 3 cars DNF'd as a result and a fourth had significant damage. Stroll got the same penalty.

I think the penalty is about right, Hulk got a 10 place grid penalty for doing something similar in the dry a few years ago, so they've clearly gone for a lesser penalty to factor in conditions.

ched999uk likes this.
  6. Mark Blow

Mark Blow Well-Known Member

The large brown envelope from Marko & Horner

7. DHCanary

Forum Moderator

Believe that rule only applies on the initial formation lap, not any subsequent formation laps. So Merc might have messed up? Sounds like they were confident with their decision at the time though.

8. Quite Possibly Raving

Sorry, could you clarify that first sentence for me? What do you mean by racing outcome as distinct from incident outcome?

I'm presuming it means that it doesn't matter if it's Bottas taking out 2 RBs and a McClaren or taking out 2 Haas and a Williams? The impact on the championships standings won't matter for the stewards, just that three cars were knocked out, whichever the car?

9. SgtBhaji

SgtBhaji Well-Known Member

Yes... There is a lot of folks on social media that are either new to the sport, or are simply casual fans that are more reactionary than your average seasoned fan. I think these voices our weight seasoned fans and muddy the waters a bit in these realms.

I have no problem with new or casual fans, since we all start somewhere, but the problem is, if you're going to placeds like Twitter for opinion or reaction to incidents that happen, you're only going to get the reactionary faux analysis fed to you, and understanding of the many nuances of the sport is going to sail on by. So like in politics and everything else, the fan base is only going to become more partisan and more reactionary over time. Sad really, but that's social media.

Sharpe*, DHCanary and ched999uk like this.
  10. Justjazz

Justjazz Well-Known Member

Message from James: The bridge was reopened just yesterday. He says you can cross the river now.:1980_boogie_down:

SgtBhaji likes this.

11. SgtBhaji

YAS!!!!

12. Justjazz

Justjazz Well-Known Member

I am pretty sure it is long covid. Lewis is breathless, I reckon he will have multiple tests over the next few weeks. Xrays or CATscans. There are some meds but don't know if they would pass tests, honestly don't know. The dizziness and blurred vision must be a concern.

I see Aston martin are going to appeal the Vettel disqualification.

ched999uk likes this.
  13. Number 1 Jasper

Number 1 Jasper Well-Known Member

Aston Martin are saying there was 1.44 litres of fuel,left in the car but they could not get it all out .
    Secret tank ?

14. SgtBhaji

Drop a hose in there and suck like fury... They'll get a litre eventually.

Gutted for Vettel, he deserved these points for simply sticking two fingers up at Hungary and the FIA.

15. SgtBhaji

When this guy gets the Merc drive, he's going to be a phenomenal asset to that team. What an absolute rock solid team player.

16. TopClass

TopClass Well-Known Member

Jazz is this something you’ve come across with your situation? (You don’t have to answer this mate- I’m just trying to learn more about it).

What treatments have been mentioned/suggested so far?

Did I read that in Germany, they accidentally seemed to cure a guys long COVID with a drug intended for use on glaucoma, called BC007?

The glaucoma scientists realised that a lack of blood flow to the eyes was a major problem and the blood contained these “auto antibodies” that can be harmful as the immune system goes into overdrive are also present in those with long Covid.

They say the guy got his taste back in a few hours, said his memory and mental function improved and that he said his symptoms had all disappeared.

I really hope this ends up being a major breakthrough.

17. DHCanary

Forum Moderator

Yeah, perhaps "championship impact" or "race state" are probably what I'm trying to say.

The focus is on Car A making a slight mistake and taking out Car B, C, and D as a result. It shouldn't matter which car is which. Similarly, you don't consider the race situation after the incident when giving a penalty. If Bottas had got back into the race and was running last and two laps down, he should get the same penalty as if he came out of the incident unscathed.

Quite Possibly Raving likes this.
  18. Quite Possibly Raving

Makes sense, thanks.

19. ched999uk

ched999uk Well-Known Member

Sounds like the 2005 Honda where they used a 6 litre fuel tank as 'ballast' on Jensen's and Sato's cars - they were disqualified and had a ban (suspended) I think or McLaren back in 2012 when Lewis was told to stop on track as he didn't have enough fuel to get back to pits and give 1 litre sample after quali: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/18047760 again disqualified.

I'm not sure how rules are written about fuel in system of accessible for fia to get a 1 litre sample?

Real pity as I am sure that would have given Vettel and the team a great morale boost.

20. Sharpe*

Sharpe* Senior Member

Well what a good race that was.

I actually watched the whole thing and it remained interesting throughout.

Rain always brings incident.

A rare mistake from Merc with Lewis' start but they made some good calls after that and put Lewis in a position where he could have won.

Was nice to see an Alpine and Aston Martin at the front instead of the usual.

Shame that Vettel lost his 2nd place.

Season on the whole has been really good.