1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Formula E

Discussion in 'Formula 1' started by East_Stand_Always, Nov 14, 2012.

1. DHCanary

DHCanary Very Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Rowland is completing the Valencia test in place of Albon. Suggests Albon to Toro Rosso is likely.

2. El_Bando

El_Bando Can't remember, where was I?
    Forum Moderator

3. eddie_squidd

eddie_squidd Well-Known Member

It will be interesting to see how Foruma E develops. And whether it stays free to air if and when it really takes off.

At what point in the future does F1 became Formula E and vice versa I wonder.

cosicave likes this.
  4. Big Ern

Big Ern Lord, Master, Guru & Emperor

when they have decent batteries that can propel the car to 200+mph and last the full race distance, until that time it will be a gradual move to more fuel economical PU's, until they amalgamate into 1 series imo. I can see a point when the battery provides the drive and the petrol is used soley as generator fuel.

5. DHCanary

Forum Moderator

BBC only confirm that the races will be live, so presumably no FP or qualifying? I think they all go on Youtube anyway, but BBC Sport website would be good exposure nonetheless.

6. El_Bando

Forum Moderator

Depends how much they promote it. With f1 going off free to air. It might be an opportunity to round up the non sky viewers.

7. Big Ern

Big Ern Lord, Master, Guru & Emperor

everything is free to air witha PC :bandit:

Justjazz likes this.
  8. El_Bando

Forum Moderator

:emoticon-0105-wink::emoticon-0105-wink:

9. DHCanary

Forum Moderator

Formula E in-season testing will give opportunities to 7 female racers.

Jamie Chadwick, Simona de Silvestro, Carmen Jorda, Tatiana Calderon, Katherine Legge, Beitske Visser and Amna Al Qubaisi will all get an opportunity to test.

I can't help but feel this is a much better approach to "positive discrimination" than the Formula W approach. Each team is allowed to run two cars for testing, as long as one of them is given to a female driver. So each of these drivers will get a good amount of time in the car, and the other car should provide some kind of benchmark. De Silvestro for example is running in the same machinery as Felipe Massa, and in F-E the car weight and tyres don't change, so comparisons should be more straightforward than F1 testing (of course, they can adjust power output still).

ched999uk and Number 1 Jasper like this.
  10. El_Bando

Forum Moderator

Anyone watch the race. Wasn't bad. Like the new cars but the track they were on looked like a construction site

11. BrightLampShade

BrightLampShade Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

The race just came across like a complete farce in my eyes. More to do with the production than anything else, it just seemed an absolute mess.

12. ched999uk

ched999uk Well-Known Member

I dd watch it after a bit of faff to get at it via the red button.
    The racing wasn't bad but there were a few issues I had. First off the commentators were just taking over the in car comms. The fan boost and the other time limited boost were not explained enough. i.e. They are allowed to use extra power but surely they all have the same battery so surely the drivers getting the fan boost will use more energy at the point they deploy it but the will have less left for the rest of the race.
    I sort of miss the drivers swapping cars but having a progressed to a whole race on 1 battery is progress but I feel that maybe a pit stop for stickier tyres might help mix the strat up.
    Not enough colour differences in cars. They are all the same so the colours need to be more diverse and how to identify drivers was difficult, other than knowing a few helmet designs.

13. Number 1 Jasper

Number 1 Jasper Well-Known Member

Is that via the red button Ala tv ? Please tell me how.

14. ched999uk

Yes via red button. Go on bbc channel and then press red. Alternatively I think it is on BBC iPlayer live and on demand.

Number 1 Jasper likes this.
  15. Number 1 Jasper

Think that's what we tried . Did you do it via freeview .

16. DHCanary

Forum Moderator

The team radio issue is daft, but not the fault of the commentary team.

Basically unlike Formula 1, F-E insists that team radio be properly live. So the commentary team get essentially no warning that team radio is going to be played, and there's no filter as to what gets played. So it's a combination of dead air, pointless jargon and the occasional good message. No surprise the commentary team don't break off mid-sentence every time, it'd make coverage even worse.

17. ched999uk

Yes Freeview.

Number 1 Jasper likes this.
  18. ched999uk

Cheers for that, I didn't realise that's how it works. I do accept the delay in F1 as it gives strategy options that are not available to live radio tx. I would like a bit more F1 radio traffic but not if it's like F-E and that it's everything.
    Now I know how the F-E radio works it's easier to understand the commentators position. Cheers.
    Think I started watching getting ready not to be watching F1 in 2020 as I can't justify Sky Sports fees just to watch F1. Read somewhere the other day that F1 teams can veto only Pay TV in top audience countries. I don't think they ever would as their income would drop and sponsorship seems so much more difficult than in years gone by.
    So I am learning F-E :)

19. DHCanary

Forum Moderator

Yeah I won't be getting Sky either, so it'll be somewhat dubious means for my F1 coverage until F1 TV is both up to standard and I can get it in the UK.

Formula E definitely needs to work on the presentation, some issues definitely haven't been addressed for a few seasons. The graphics definitely need work, the single colour "tower" makes it impossible to figure out teammates, amongst other issues.

I also think they try too hard to compare themselves to F1. WEC don't, WRC don't, MotoGP doesn't. It's like they don't have any confidence in their series.

ched999uk likes this.
  20. Number 1 Jasper

Tried to get now tv . Only works at the moment if you have a Samsung or LG tv .

Not joking .