1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Forte in the squad list.

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by SwanNickSaint, Sep 4, 2012.

1. SwanNickSaint

SwanNickSaint New Member

Must admit I wasn't expecting that! Otherwise no surprises in the 23 names.

2. thebronze14

thebronze14 Well-Known Member

anyone have a list of the squad

3. Qwerty

Qwerty Well-Known Member

Butterfield, Chaplow, Cork, K Davis, S Davis, De Ridder, Dickson, Do Prado, Fonte, Forte, Fox, Hooiveld, Lallana, Lambert, Lee, Mayuka, Puncheon, Ramirez, Richardson, Rodriguez, Schneiderlin, Seaborne, Yoshida.

4. Mr.Gaston Ramirez

Mr.Gaston Ramirez New Member

That can't be right.There is only one gk and no James Ward-Prowse...

5. Le Tissier's Laces

Le Tissier's Laces Well-Known Member

Doesn't include U-21 players. They don't need to be registered.

6. Mr.Gaston Ramirez

Mr.Gaston Ramirez New Member

Ah ok, thanks.

7. dontgonigel

dontgonigel Member

It was mentioned earlier that to qualify for a 25 man squad you must include 3 goalkeepers! If your goalkeepers are not 21 years plus and there for do not qualify in the 25 man named squad you will lose them places in the squad...so I our case having both Gazzaniga and Cropper under 21 we are now only allocated 23 spaces making what we have announced our full allocation?

Don't quote me on this just what I heard earlier?

8. TheSecondStain

TheSecondStain Needs an early night

Yes, but we've also got several outfield players under 21 in the squad. Surely this rule isn't confined to keepers..?

9. Qwerty

Qwerty Well-Known Member

Nope whoever has come up with that is mistaken, it is not part of the Premier League's rules. Not that it matters unless you are still holding out hopes of a free transfer.

10. Puck

Puck Well-Known Member

I vaguely recall taking a job in the SPL on Football Manager and I think that might be how it works up there, but not in England.

11. Dark Lord SFC

Dark Lord SFC Well-Known Member

What this does show is how far behind we are compared with the long established "Top" clubs who struggle to keep their squad down to 25, Saints have to include "make weights" like Dickson and Forte who will never get anywhere near the first team to make our squad up to 23
    Or have we a couple of spots free for loans/free transfers?

12. dontgonigel

dontgonigel Member

Honestly think what I heard has some truth... In basic terms -

-You have an allocation of 25 man team.
    -3 places of the 25 man team are reserved for goalkeepers.
    -If you do not fill them positions with over 21 year old keepers you lose them.
    - you can only name 22 outfield players over the age of 21 years old in a 25 man squad!

By the way I notice our squad is actually one of the biggest named!

13. pass the football

pass the football Well-Known Member

Probably because other teams need to leave gaps in order to meet the home grown quota.

By the way, this 3 goalkeepers rule doesn't appear to be true: http://www.premierleague.com/en-gb/news/news/premier-league-squad-lists-201213.html

14. lamby

lamby Needs a cold shower

But we have a number of Under 21's like JWP who will play but don't count. Some of the so called bigger clubs haven't got excellent youngsters.

15. Gonch

Gonch Member

On the subject of goalies, I don't actually see Cody Cropper anywhere on either list - or am I just being really stoopid?

16. dontgonigel

dontgonigel Member

I definitely did hear it in the last couple of days in several forum discussions however that doesn't make it true!as someone says there doesn't seem to be the inclusion of Cropper so maybe it I wishful thinking to assume we are looking at another freebie. I refuse to believe saints fans are genuinely happy with Kelvin despite the loyalty he has shown to the club and the fact he has had 2 pretty successful seasons!

17. Saint Birdsnest

Saint Birdsnest Active Member

Last season was more than 'pretty successful', he was in the Championship team of the year, deemed the best goalkeeper in the whole division, above the likes of Federici, Robert Green, and Kasper Schmeichel!
    Even this season he's been alright IMO, people seem to forget he's saved 2 out of 2 penalties, against Tevez and Van Persie! He hasn't been at his best admittedly but I'm certainly happy to have him between the sticks

18. lamby

lamby Needs a cold shower

Have to agree with another poster that both of the pens were must saves. That said his experience is invaluable and he is still our number 1 IMO!

19. pass the football

pass the football Well-Known Member

Don't forget to mention his penalty saves! <laugh>

RvP's penalty wasn't a must save though really, he still had to go the right way and reach up to the ball. It was a poor penalty, yes, but still not a trivial one to save.

20. TheSecondStain

TheSecondStain Needs an early night

Yeah, I was interested to know this, so I've looked up the rules as displayed on the OS:

Top-flight clubs' Squad Lists must conform to the following regulations:

&#8211; For the 2012-13 season each club had a deadline on 4th September to submit a squad containing no more than 17 players who do not fulfil the Home Grown Player criteria. The remainder of the squad, up to a total of 25 players, must be Home Grown.

&#8211; A Home Grown Player means a player who, irrespective of his nationality or age, has been registered with any club affiliated to the Football Association or the Football Association of Wales for a period, continuous or not, of three entire seasons or 36 months prior to his 21st birthday (or the end of the Season during which he turns 21).

&#8211; Changes to the squad list of 25 may be made during the period of a Transfer Window.

&#8211; U21 players are eligible over and above the limit of 25 players per squad.

&#8211; For the 2012-13 campaign Under 21 players will have been born on or after 1st January 1991.

So, those U21 players in the squad don't count towards the 25. Yippee, we've got a good few of those.