1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

FPP to take full control

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by Whiteleas Wanderer, Jan 19, 2020.

1. Montysoptician

Montysoptician Well-Known Member

You have always distinguished between information received and your opinion that's why I respect your views and look for your posts.

Loan/Investment - It's semantics, you have argued that it isn't a normal loan and it obviously isn't. I personally believe it's a foot in the door from FPP and hopefully that door remains open for them.

I appreciate you sharing your information and sticking at it despite the flack you have taken.

2. rowley

rowley Well-Known Member

Well I'm now idle like everyone else today, so I thought I'd have a look on here after a long time doing nowt of the sort.

I haven't the faintest idea what will happen here in the long term, ( though I imagine there will be zero in the short). This has lingered a long time now, particularly for us, but maybe these things just do. I have zero knowledge of that world.

This £9m loan or investment on top of the money spent earlier in the process seems like a lot to write off or let wither away in some way, and in all normal worlds it is. Even to people as rich as those presumed to be interested it is a lot- they hardly became rich by burning cash- but not so much as they would be ruined by it's loss.

But it isn't just money that has been spent. There is the time. I'm pretty sure that I've never met a billionaire, but I have met a couple of pretty rich guys, have worked for a couple, and know one pretty well. The one thing they all seemed to hate was wasting time. As if they had enough money to deal with whatever it might be, but that time was the thing they always sensed they were short of. The feckers always seem to want to be somewhere else an hour before they leave wherever they are.

So it's the time these people invested, and potentially wasted, that baffles me. Maybe they aren't bothered and I sense this all wrong. Maybe this will all fizzle out to nowt and we'll be taken over by a second hand lawn mower dealer from Newbottle. But if and when this saga does come to a close, with those involved walking away in or out of pocket, I would bet that it's the time these people have wasted, particularly last year, that will grieve them more than the lost money. They can make more of that, but no man can make more time.

3. Agent Black Cat

Agent Black Cat Well-Known Member

Having listened to it this morning, that was my take on it too. I certainly would not be against SD and CM staying, backed of course by the Americans. It seems it would take another fanzine statement, reversing their stance, for him to change his mind.

Nonsense Potter likes this.
  4. Kittenmittons

Kittenmittons Well-Known Member

I thought he'd do that in January but it seemed that he was genuinely trying to sell. Maybe he did, or maybe this is part of the long grift to get us to turn the opinion round to supporting him?

I still don't think he'll get us sold soon regardless. End of May is 8 weeks which would be about where - if someone was doing DD today - they'd surface again and confirm, change or withdraw their offer. That implies that he's not very far through any process. I can tell you EXCLUSIVELY that the big 4 M&A departments have absolutely sod all going on, I mean really, zero. So the DD wouldn't be delayed by this.

So on balance, I'd probably go back to my initial reaction in January to his BBC interview:

Chance of Donald staying: 80%
    Chance of someone else buying us: 19.9%
    Chance of FPP buying us (at this point): 0.1%

If we did get promoted somehow, that could change, but that's my gut instinct today.

Montysoptician likes this.
  5. Nonsense Potter

Nonsense Potter Well-Known Member

He should never have said that he would leave based on the feelings of the fans. Massive mistake and totally naive. Now he's in the position where he clearly feels he has to try and get people back onside. The reality is he's under no obligation to sell and if he has the courage of his convictions, keeps out of the media and the team ultimately get promoted the fans become a non issue. If his main concern is being loved and drinking with the fans he's probably not cut out to be an owner. I'd personally have no issue with him staying on if the yanks come along for the ride, but I honestly think he needs to toughen up to make a success of it.

6. Kittenmittons

Kittenmittons Well-Known Member

I agree on one part, which is that time is a valuable commodity. I probably disagree that they spent enough time or money on the process that they'd feel compelled to carry on because of a principle or to avoid writing off the lost time.

The day they commit to this as a majority ownership group, it's a lifestyle choice and that 'time' element is unavoidable no matter how much you try to distance yourself. You have to be 100% committed and I don't believe they are right now. The nature of their deal tells us exactly where they are with us: They want the option to both come on board or to walk away. That's fine, that's exactly what I'd do too, but for them to go to the next level, which is to risk their money and a lot of their time to us being successful - against all of the financial logic which suggests how hard that is to achieve - I think we have to be well on the way to the Premier League. From what Donald said today, I'd read between the lines that the next 'instalment' of FPP's interest would be another convertible loan as it stands.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2020
  7. Iansun

Iansun Well-Known Member

I've thought for a good while I'm not convinced he will sell up

Smug in Boots likes this.
  8. Smug in Boots

Smug in Boots Well-Known Member

Cheers mate, that's much appreciated.

Thing is, these men are VIP billionaires who would have zero interest in a small short term loan that would earn them nothing but could, in all possibility, lumber them with a club some people claim they have no interest in.

The concept is ludicrous.

Men like these don't go around flinging money up in the air hoping it lands on black ...

... they know their peers watch every move and their credibility is of paramount importance to them.

The word most apt is 'serious' and that's what they are.

9. Vincemac

Vincemac Well-Known Member

I’m with you mate

10. Robref62

Robref62 Well-Known Member

Was just a general posting as in theres nothing new, weve heard it all b4 in different guises. Status Quo if you like.

Kittenmittons likes this.

11. Smug in Boots

It is new though.

Donald is saying FPP could become more and more involved.

It's quite recent that many people had accepted FPP were no longer interested ...

... now the owner of the club is saying they are.

I'd say that's worth posting.

12. Smug in Boots

Excuse this interruption, I just need to answer the usual clique on RTG.

I was told FPP were taking over imminently and shown proof.
    (As was the BBC, ALS, Jack Ross, etc.)

I posted that and, when questioned, felt so confident I offered a bet of £1000 to anyone accusing me of lying.

Not one of them dared accept the bet, but are happy to call me a liar today ...

... as we all know, the takeover hasn't yet happened but it might still.

I wasn't lying, I posted exactly what I'd been told.

Yes I was very excited about it but that makes me neither a liar or bullshitter. I've no history of being ITK because it's never been the case.

On this occasion I was given first hand info which may still be correct, only the date would've been incorrect.

If people think I was doing anything but passing on exciting news that's their problem, I don't have one.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2020
  13. Robref62

I've always been of the opinion that it wont happen with FPP. In the early days it looked promising and even tho SD says they're still interested, the longer it goes on it just seems less likely.

14. Robref62

Also fwiw, I'd be keen on SD/CM staying on, imo they've done a great job steadying the ship. Also it would piss a few fan groups off. <laugh><laugh>:emoticon-0148-yes:

TonyG likes this.
  15. rowley

rowley Well-Known Member

Aye. I imagine that's pretty true a it happens. The world has changed since they became involved, and even if normality returns sooner than later, it will be a new normality. That might or might not help any sale along, but for myself, I'll be pretty happy if we are still a stable and going concern this time next year. Some might not be.

Mind, your'e lucky enough to be buying a pint of milk at the moment never mind a football club. And nowt any of says will hurry it along, change it or stop it.

Kittenmittons likes this.
  16. Whittylad

Whittylad Well-Known Member

He who laughs last laughs longest. :emoticon-0148-yes:

17. one gary owers

one gary owers Well-Known Member

He left when he thought it was a sinking ship would not like to see him come back

18. Snaggey

Snaggey Well-Known Member

I dont post much, but i do read both here and rtg. I have read (probably) hundreds of pages of the if's, why's, when, its on, its off etc, etc.....regarding this takeover, investment or whatever its called today.
    This nailed it for me.....
    Spot on.

ISOE II and Smug in Boots like this.
  19. You don't need to justify yourself mate,those of us with a functioning brain have understood what you say from the outset.
    I'm slightly more optimistic now about the nature of FPP's involvement,and the direction it might take, following SD's comments.

20. Smug in Boots

Cheers mate.

It's quite funny that, as soon as there's any sign of FPP taking over, there's a hysterical flurry of abuse about me on RTG.

It's sad but there are people so desperate for me to have been wrong they'd happily see it all fall apart.

If it actually happens they'll either vanish or come out with the usual 'no one's more pleased to be wrong than me blah blah blah <laugh>

sad-eyed prophet and alan reed like this.