1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Transfer Rumours Fraser Forster signs new 5 year deal

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by saintsfcfan, Jul 19, 2017.

1. saintsfcfan

saintsfcfan Well-Known Member

https://southamptonfc.com/news/2017...w-southampton-five-year-contract-announcement

Southampton Football Club is delighted to announce that goalkeeper Fraser Forster has signed a new five-year contract.

The 29-year-old had penned a deal until 2021 last summer, but has now extended that by another season, taking his commitment through to 2022.

England international Forster arrived at St Mary’s in 2014 and has gone on to make 103 appearances for the club since then, including being the only ever-present during the 2016/17 Premier League campaign.

Vice Chairman (Football) Les Reed said: “We are extremely pleased to have strengthened our commitment with Fraser, who has been an integral part of our team over the past three seasons.

I'M DELIGHTED. I HAVE ABSOLUTELY LOVED MY TIME HERE AT SOUTHAMPTON.

FRASER FORSTER
    SAINTS KEEPER
    “He has already established himself as one of the leading keepers in the Premier League and, at 29, we believe he still has his best years ahead of him, not just for us but also the national team.

“This is the ideal place for him to continue his progress, under the guidance of our Head of Goalkeeping, Dave Watson, and we are delighted that Fraser continues to see his long-term future at Southampton.”

Fraser Forster said: “I’m delighted. I have absolutely loved my time here at Southampton so far and when the opportunity came along to extend it I didn’t think twice about it.

“I think it’s a fantastic club to be at, with a really bright future, and the ambition shown at the club is one where they want to move it forward, so for me it was a no-brainer.”

saintrichie123, fatletiss and Beef like this.
  2. Libby

Libby 9-0

Why?

I mean, it seems so pointless wasn't he only given one last year?

To get another year no doubt with a payrise just seems bizarre.

latviandream and Saintdel like this.
  3. saintsfcfan

saintsfcfan Well-Known Member

No idea. Seems he is here for the long-term though and although he's had a poor year, he's certainly not a bad keeper.

Archers Road and Saintdel like this.
  4. Beef

Beef Well-Known Member

5. Saints Fan4Life

Saints Fan4Life Well-Known Member

I love Fraser :emoticon-0115-inlov

6. mowgli

mowgli Well-Known Member

Now the same for VVD please (who also only signed last year so there is every point!)

7. Libby

Libby 9-0

No not a bad pl keeper but wouldn't say a good one either.

He's an average PL keeper and with a long contract anyway this just seems bizarre and to give him a payrise is ridiculous.

latviandream likes this.
  8. Saintmagic

Saintmagic Well-Known Member

"One of the top keepers in the Premier League"

*giggles*

latviandream, greensaint and Libby like this.
  9. ElliotMP

ElliotMP Well-Known Member

One average season doesn't make a good GK average...

10. Beef

Beef Well-Known Member

Did he really only sign last year?

11. Libby

Libby 9-0

Good job I'm not basing it on last year then isn't it?

If I was basing it on just last year I'd call him a **** gk <ok>

Pretty sure it was. Happy to be corrected if wrong...

12. Saint Sosa

Saint Sosa Well-Known Member

He's not a bad keeper, but there are parts of his game that it looks like he'll never improve (coming off his line, claiming crosses, kicking, getting down low quickly) - I really don't understand why he's getting a new contract. He'd be one of the first players out if I had my way, he just doesn't have enough 'good' games to make up for his weaknesses.

13. Beef

Beef Well-Known Member

14. ElliotMP

True, forgot that he was shocking the season we bought him. And don't tell me about when he came back from 10 months out to arguably be one of the main reasons we finished 6th. God he is so bad, worst GK we have had in the PL era by far.

15. Ronnie Hotdog (MLsfc)

Ronnie Hotdog (MLsfc) Well-Known Member

Before last season he had been linked to Liverpool and I think Chelsea at won't point. He wasn't great last year but wasn't awful either. Let's remember how good he has been for us overall and hope he gets back to that level this season.

16. Saint Sosa

You mean that run of clean sheets where he had literally nothing to do, bar the Arsenal and West Brom (?) game?

17. VocalMinority

VocalMinority Well-Known Member

Wasnt expecting a Forster contract. Well I'm off to Saintsweb to have a laugh at the meltdown I'm sure is happening.

18. ElliotMP

Yeah. Where he finished the season 3rd in terms of clean sheets last year? He was average at times last season, but some people seem to be making him a scapegoat just because they can.

19. Libby

Libby 9-0

Yeah cos that's exactly what I'm saying <doh>

Probably a waste of time to try and discuss with you but I'll try anyway:

I feel Fraser has always been overrated by Saints fans, decent shot stopper yes but most if not all keepers are at this level.

I've always maintained that for a keeper of his stature he doesn't command his area well enough. That hasn't improved a jot in the 3 years he's been here either.

As for examples you've given in his first season with us he was behind the 2nd best defence in league, 2nd to only Mourinhos Chelsea. We also faced some of the fewest shots on target.

I also believe the run when he came back from injury coincided with us switching to a back 3. Out of those games too I only remember Arsenal that he actually won us points in.

Saint Sosa likes this.
  20. Saint Sosa

Meaningless, but I said to my flatmate in his first season that he has too many gaping holes in his game. I think it was the Villa away game that I first noticed them, and since then he's not improved at all. He's got worse.

I'm not denying that he is capable of matches where he has literally a wall, but you're lucky to get 2 or 3 of those a season. The rest of the time he is an average/below average PL keeper...

It’s Only A Game and Libby like this.