1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

French 1000 Guineas

Discussion in 'Horse Racing' started by Grendel, Apr 2, 2021.

1. Grendel

Grendel Well-Known Member

With the French trials not far away now I decided to make a play in the French 1000 Guineas.

The trouble with the French Classics is the difficulty in getting anyone to take an ante-post bet. Paddy Power are one of the few to bother quoting anything and even then they sometimes only quote one or two horses on occasion.

Anyway, I decided to have a bet on Sweet Lady for the French 1000 Guineas. The filly was a bit disappointing when 6th to Mark Johnston's Gear Up, in a race where Jean-Claude Rouget's Makaloun tasted defeated for the first time. That can be excused because it was 10F and bottomless ground and, along with Makaloun, she just didn't seem to see it out.

Sweet Lady is trained by Francis Graffard and she was nowhere to be seen on debut but got off the mark next time out. The daughter of Lope De Vega was a comfortable winner of a bad looking race next time, where the odds-on favourite flopped but I thought she was in the process of running a good race upped to Group 1 company before running out of petrol.

Progressive last year, Sweet Lady made her return to action this season in a Listed Race where Tiger Tanaka was favourite. Tiger Tanaka had won the Prix Marcel Boussac last season and although I don't think that was a vintage renewal it is still a decent level of form. Coincidentally, Tiger Tanaka had finished only a nose and a neck in front of Sweet Lady when they ran behind Gear Up and I felt the Graffard filly was the victim of interference, even if she was beaten when that occured. I think she may well have finished ahead of the Boussac winner that day.

Tiger Tanaka went off favourite for the Prix La Camargo at Saint Cloud on March 21st when both were making their seasonal debuts but it was Sweet Lady who came through and drew right away in the closing stages to win by six lengths. That was a very taking performance and although the Racing Post gave Tiger Tanaka as running below par on the day, I feel that Sweet Lady may well have progressed past her.

Some trials to come that could yield contenders but Sweet Lady is entered up herself in some of them and I feel a win would see her a clear favourite for the French 1000 Guineas. If it is soft she won't mind and I thought 16/1 was a bit of value in a muddled year. Her trainer seems patient and a good judge of placing his runners.

French 1000 Guineas Sweet Lady 16/1

2. Grendel

Today is the moment of truth for Sweet Lady. The Prix De La Grotte has been her target for some time now and she needs to win it to cement her place as a realistic contender for the French 1000 Guineas on the 6th of June.

A field of eight runners today and I had a shudder when I saw the betting guide listing Sweet Lady at 9/1 for today's trial but going to oddschecker revealed her actual odds were 2/1, which seemed sensible, as she is the highest rated filly in the field. I feel she is the one to beat today and have had enough of a bet at 2/1 to cover my bets at 16/1 for the Guineas.

Sealiway also runs in the Prix Fontainebleau and rather that bet him at short odds today, I had a bet on him at 8/1 for the French 2000 Guineas in a season with a dearth of realistic contenders.

3. Grendel

I thought Sweet Lady got a shocking ride. Dawdling around in last place she made late headway but was left with a ton to do and could only manage to finish third is a blanket finish. Maybe she's not a Guineas filly but she should have won today in my opinion. Soumillon had his head up his ass today.