1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Fridays Breakfast debate

Discussion in 'Leeds United' started by bucks_is_leeds, Aug 7, 2015.

1. bucks_is_leeds

bucks_is_leeds Jonny big spuds
    Forum Moderator

Morning all, Ells prolly in meetings so lets kick this one off.

Andy Richie reckons we can make the play offs

'LOOKING at the Championship this season, it is quite simply the toughest league in the country; it’s even tougher than the Premier League.

Just look at the teams who didn’t even get in the play-offs last season such as Wolves and there will be good teams who will miss out again this year, looking at the strength in depth in the division.

In the Premier League, some of the teams will look at games and say: ‘We have three points in this game and this one there and that one and that one’. You can identify runs of wins and that is not debasing the league. You just don’t get that in the Championship.

In the Championship, every single week you are virtually playing against somebody who has got aspirations of getting into the Premier League.

From start to finish, it is almost full of ex-Premier League sides. From the top, there’s Blackburn, Birmingham, Bolton, Charlton, Fulham, Hull, Ipswich. And the list goes on and on.

You see evidence of that in Leeds’ first month too. Burnley, Reading and Sheffield Wednesday and one of the new boys in Bristol City away is also tough. And so it goes on.

But it is the same for everybody in fairness and I am sure most teams will be looking at the fixture lists thinking: ‘Bloody hell, we don’t get a break here!’ It will mostly be like that all the way through.

Most of the teams who have been in the Premier League will be thinking that they can get promotion and can push on.

It is such a big season for lots of clubs. The likes of Burnley and Hull will be wanting to go straight back up because of the money that will be there in the Premier League with the new TV deal from next season.

A few teams such as Derby County seem to be really going for it, with a new manager as well in Paul Clement. While if Middlesbrough manage to bring Jordan Rhodes in, that brings them into the equation even more. Wolves as well have a good chance for me.

Others who haven’t been in the top-flight such as Bristol City will be looking for a really good season and the likes of Brentford will be thinking the same too.

Some such as Rotherham will be just happy to be there, but they won’t be many like that and most will have aspirations of promotion.

Leeds United-wise, they will thinking that they have a chance of the play-offs, most definitely.

Moreso, with this week’s signing of Stuart Dallas to provide some much-needed width, which can only be a good thing.

He’s worked with Uwe at Brentford before and know each other, which is a plus.

Leeds have got to make progress this year and that will be Uwe Rosler’s remit from the owner. I think they are capable of getting into the play-offs, I really do.

They are in with a shout.

But it is all about being consistent, that old word. And they weren’t last year.

It was a time when they might win three or four on the spin, but then they would lose a few or whatever.

You need more; that measure of consistency that marks the top teams out.

Leeds sort of flirted with things at times last season, but that was all. Win a few, then fall back. You can’t afford to do that and must be winning regularly and getting points on the board and they need a really good start for me. That is what Uwe will be saying to the players. The message will be: ‘We can’t afford to get left behind.’

That is going to be really difficult with the teams they are going to play early on. Right from the opening day game against Burnley, which is one of the hardest ones that they could have had.

Leeds have made some good acquisitions, while much has been made of Adam Pearson coming in and being one of Leeds’ ‘best signings’ and his arrival has been important.

Adam is someone who knows the way of football over here.

He has been involved in it throughout his working life, along with rugby. But for the majority of the time, it’s been football.

From what I have gleaned, I think Massimo Cellino probably didn’t realise the amount of stuff that he would have to deal with as Leeds owner and has realised he needed a really strong right-hand man who knew the game over here.

I think it is only good for Leeds that Adam is in there. He has vast experience.

From this season, I notice there’s a few rule changes including clamping down on feigning injury to get an opponent sent off.

The problem is how do you totally prove that? But hopefully the rules will discourage it, although there will be a few grey areas on how you prove it.

But it’s a step in the right direction to try and eradicate diving and that element in the game.

There’s also a new code of conduct for managers and coaches in the technical area.

For me, if you kick a bottle of water on the sidelines, that can be deemed more as frustration than dissent and just a reaction.

But sarcastically clapping a decision does show dissent and is disrespectful.

Maybe it is a good thing to try and stop that.

But by and large, I do think managers are pretty well-behaved, especially with some of the refereeing decisions that you see.

Often, managers are very restrained, given the high-stakes of management these days, that’s for sure.

And heres Phil Hays take on the season

YEP Leeds United writer Phil Hay makes his Championship predictions including where he thinks Leeds United will finish.

Champions : Middlesbrough

Stewart Downing is the signing of the summer in the Championship and should provide the sort of deadly service that the Teessiders need. Add to that the possible arrival of Jordan Rhodes, pictured, plus the fact that Boro were inches away last season, and it all adds up. They are the team to beat.

Runners-up: Derby County

A bit limp and underwhelming towards the end of Steve McClaren’s reign but Paul Clement is a fascinating, progressive appointment. He’s seen the world, he’s seen the unforgiving environment of Real Madrid and he inherits a decent squad which should have done better last season. Derby will go close.

Play-offs: Burnley, Wolverhampton Wanderers, Brentford, Bristol City

Wolves are dangerous and play in a fashion which often gets teams out of this division.

Brentford have undoubted quality and are investing quite heavily after reaching the play-offs.

Bristol City destroyed League One last season and teams who do that often come on strong.

And Burnley are Burnley – with a very able manager and tidy parachute payments.

Leeds United : Eighth, especually now that the club have done something about filling the left wing. It was the gaping hole in their team but even without Stuart Dallas, United’s starting line-up when everyone’s fit could consist of Silvestri, Berardi, Bamba, Bellusci, Taylor, Cook, Murphy, Mowatt, Byram and Wood. Man for man, it’s a very useful line-up.

Relegation: Bolton Wanderers, MK Dons, Huddersfield Town. Bolton are the wild pick.

From the outside looking in, the club haven’t been a hive of activity this summer and they weren’t exactly a mile from trouble last season. But expect the relegation battle to be far more of a scramble this time.

Over to you for some more off topic bollocks, MOT!

Last edited: Aug 7, 2015
    ellandback and Farsleyexile like this.
  2. bucks_is_leeds

Forum Moderator

Looking at Els and 60s line ups I'd say one change Dukes in for Dallas.

3. Whitejock

Whitejock Well-Known Member

Interestingly, Robbie Savage predicted we'd get promoted this year on the radio last night.

4. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Morning all... Blimey Bucks that is a long one and food for thought <ok>

We were a long way behind the rest last season, we needed to improve just to catch them up, if we have done enough will depend on how much the new players improve with a season behind them and that includes the younger lads, also how much extra Rosler can get out of them.

On a positive, we would have probably all picked Austin in our starting 11 this time last season, this year he wouldn't make the bench <ok>

bucks_is_leeds likes this.
  5. bucks_is_leeds

Forum Moderator

I think 8th place sounds about right. Lets just hope we can exceed expectations and hit the play offs. Would that secure Roslers job though? If we keep building the way we are (and I do expect the odd outgoing of talent, we are 2nd tier its to be expected) I can see us getting back to the promised land. The only way that would happen under past owners is by fluke if we are being honest.

6. Eireleeds1

Eireleeds1 Well-Known Member

Morning all. I'd agree with Hay. As we stand, were probably likely to be around eight. A lot will depend on where we are at Christmas of course. I've a feeling if we're still in with a shout, Cellino may release funds for additions in January for an extra push. Others will do the same of course. Makes you wonder, with Pearson doing such a good job, would we be better of if Cellino gets another ban?

7. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I have us as 8th as well, lack of goals is what I believe will cost us top 6.

I guess it depends on where we are at come January, Cellino doesn't just need to earn the fans (like me) trust back, he needs to show we are a normal run club. Keep us out the negative news with his antics, show we are ambitious and some of the better players just might want to be a part of it.

I believe we have turned a few players and agents heads already, keep it going and January might be an interesting time.

8. Mr Wolves-White

Mr Wolves-White Well-Known Member

Good morn

I had a conversation similar to this a few years back with a Coventry fan (Yup they exist). This is the most competitive league in the country. Anybody can beat anybody on their day.

If Savage says were going to get promoted then i'll take Savage's word or Hey's. I'd like to see Wolves in the mix as well

9. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Looking at the league.... We have quite a few local derby games which could prove tricky.

10. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

I don't think it's all about the players in this league, because every season we see so-called minnow do well and make the play-offs or get auto promoted. We see teams with parachute payments drop through the floor, but the one thing the so-called minnows have is good managers/coaches. Bournemouth, Brentford, Watford last season, Ipswich with McCarthy etc. We need to hope we have the right calibre of coach in Uwe, someone who can instill confidence because that's what we need with a young squad. Dyche V Rosler will be the main match and we should hopefully get an idea of what will happen, because Burnley will be one of the toughest games of the season.

I agree with Phil Hayes about us finishing around 8th, but as Eire has said if we are there or thereabouts at Xmas Cellino will invest to try and go for it. All our new boys need to be on form from the off and players like Sloth and Murphy need to come alive and show us what we've missed

Farsleyexile and bucks_is_leeds like this.

11. bucks_is_leeds

Forum Moderator

Murphy fit again

UWE ROSLER says ‘optimism is high’ in the buoyant Leeds United camp ahead of the big Championship kick-off at home to Burnley.

United will pick from strength and report a clean bill of health aside from Tomasso Bianchi, with Rosler confirming that Luke Murphy has returned to first-team training after missing all five of the club’s pre-season friendlies with a knee injury.

It’s a timely boost for United following a positive and solid pre-season, with head coach Rosler believing that the decision to organise a tough schedule of pre-season games games against the likes of Hoffenheim, Eintracht Frankfurt and Everton will pay off.

Rosler said: “I think we are thoroughly prepared and the players are feeling confident with optimism.

“Optimism is high and that’s all what I can ask from myself, my staff and also the players – to be prepared as we can be.

“I feel prepared and we are very focused. I think we have kept the players on the pitch, which is very important, especially with the small squad we have had. We haven’t had many injuries or soft-tissue injuries which is credit to my staff and the medical staff in terms of how they look after players.

“We are prepared and now the real football starts.

“When you are prepared, then nothing will faze you, so on purpose we choose to play competitive teams in pre-season where it was not normal that we would win games.

Wouldnt imagine him starting staight away though.

12. ellandback

ellandback Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Interesting one, Phil Hay has said that Rosler has not made up his mind whether Dallas or the Duke to start.

Thanks for doing the honours Bucks. 7.45 meetings, you got to love em....

13. ellandback

ellandback Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Today will be the last chance to take part in Penshaw Dave's prediction League

There are 55 entries so far for the Top 6 game and 33 for Top & Bottom game.

These only require ONE entry at start of season.

The normal Saturday Tipster game (25 entries to date) needs a weekly entry.

http://www.not606.com/threads/top-and-bottom-game.305895/

http://www.not606.com/threads/saturday-tipster-game.305878/

http://www.not606.com/threads/top-six-points-challenge.305879/

Put your predictions to the test!!!

14. TC (Lovely Geezer)

TC (Lovely Geezer) Well-Known Member

15. Lion of Brisbane

Lion of Brisbane Well-Known Member

You mean it was. Now that Wall are gone you have no opposition

16. Lion of Brisbane

Lion of Brisbane Well-Known Member

You'll never know