1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Fulham v Blackpool

Discussion in 'Fulham' started by Fulham COYW, Jan 2, 2013.

1. Bidley

Bidley Well-Known Member

Kara! His Big Fat Greek First Goal!

2. Bidley

Bidley Well-Known Member

Disappointing today, but at least we're not out of it and we can possible field some fresh signings in the replay.

3. Fulhaman

Fulhaman Well-Known Member

Was at Villa -Ipswich today (which stank the place out - Villa are a very poor side and were quite lucky Ipswich didn't believe they could actually beat them despite going ahead) but was following our game via mobile. Heart sank when i saw Blackpool went ahead but very pleased that Kara got what sounds like a stunner. Overall were we unlucky or not really at the races - or were Blackpool playing above themselves?

4. Surlyc

Surlyc Well-Known Member

It was one of several that they got away with.

That said, we absolutely dominated but couldn't get anything going until Karagounis stepped up. He was absolutely class today and acted like a captain (even if he actually isn't). We should have won and have only ourselves to blame.

I stayed at the end to give Karagounis and Riether the applause they richly deserved. They left everything on the pitch today and that's exactly the fight that is sorely lacking from Berba & Ruiz. I'll write more tomorrow once I've sobered up!

5. Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan Well-Known Member

I may be wrong on this, but I think that in cup competitions players who aren't signed in time for the original match are not eligible for replays. That rule doesn't apply to already registered players who miss the first game through suspension, but it does apply to players coming into a club.

Of course, it's entirely possible that I'm talking rubbish.

6. Bidley

Bidley Well-Known Member

That would make sense, unfortunately.

7. Super Brian McBride

Super Brian McBride Well-Known Member

First the positives:
    Thought Blackpool targeted Riether from goalkicks but Hughes took control and won most of the headers
    aimed in Riether's direction.
    Karagounis and Sidwell were our best players and seem up for the game.
    Ruiz had a few good moments, but tended to drift back too deep.
    Richardson did play well when he came on. (About time)
    (Re: the booing Jol should have put Richardson on for Briggs then Frei for Kacaniklic, don't
    think they were booing Richardson, just what seemed a negative change at the time)

Now the negatives: We needed someone to provide a spark.
    Briggs loses concentration (like Zat Knight), don't think he is LB material. Maybe wide Midfield.
    Apart from one good run Dejagah was woeful.
    What has happened to the art of crossing a ball on the run ? Don't they practice this in training ?
    Blackpool had 9 men back in defense and we tried tippy-tappy football in a crowded space.
    Play it out wide and try to cross so that those 9 men are running back towards their own goal. (Missing Duff)
    Still annoys me when subs are made by Jol that he tries to change players positions every 5 minutes
    and no one seems to be able to settle into a rhythm.

Blackpool played a good defensive game hitting us on the break and could well have had a few more goals.
    Thought their best player was Delfouneso?, and Gilks in goal had a good game, didn't think Ince played that well.

Saw Pat Rice in the ground, so I wonder who he was looking at ?

8. Cottager58

Cottager58 Well-Known Member

Pretty much agree Super Bri, although not so sure about Sidwell who certianly didn't have his shooting boots on. For what it's worth here's my ten 'penurth'.

The crowd (15,000) was disappointing and disappointed. Quite a few of our players seemed to have their minds elsewhere and while Blackpool’s game plan was to get nine men behind the ball at all times we showed little guile in getting beyond them. Or even among them - in the first half for instance, there were just too many occasions when forward passes or crosses were pointless because quite simply there was nobody in the box.

The best summing up was from the guy next to me who, after we had a spritely last 20 minutes, said at the end of the game, “why couldn’t we have started that way?” . And I guess it’s confirmed by the fact that Stockdale was probably MOTM - he certainly kept us in the tie. Kara was a close second and apart from his goal

[video]http://cadfael.tv/image/src/1357429209411.gif[/video]

he showed leadership throughout.

Those two apart there wasn’t much to write home about. The defence was shocking and especially Briggs who again showed his defensive frailties in not closing Ince down (not that Ince proved much of a threat). Apart from Kara the midfield was lethargic. Sidwell had his usual half a dozen block-busting tackles but devoid of ideas (not sure but he may have been carrying an injury late on because he disappeared in those attacking last minutes). Bryan didn’t seem to know what position he was playing (probably because Berba kept coming too deep) and looked disappointed when he wasn’t subbed. That said he was unlucky with the header that hit the bar late on.

The main problem was the lack of movement up front. There was more zip when Frei (and Richardson) came on but we were by then very unbalanced, with only Riether available on the right, and still struggled to create openings. As TMHAF said in the other thread, Hugo was “useless”.

All very negative I’m afraid - but it was yet another poor home performance, demonstrating how inconsistent we are at the moment.

9. Surlyc

Surlyc Well-Known Member

As the players left the field, there was a point where four of our players were in the other half - Hughes, Stockdale, Riether & Karagounis. It was like they knew they the best players we had yesterday!

Karagounis seems to be the player Sidwell wants to be, including with the ability to actually get a shot on target.

10. Super Brian McBride

Super Brian McBride Well-Known Member

Very strange selection of Highlights:

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2013/january/07/blackpool-highlights

Doesn't have Ruiz freekick in first half saved by Gilks.
    Doesn't show Dejagah shot that either hit the post or Gilks saved in the first half.
    Doesn't have Ruiz header that hit the cross bar late in the game.
    And doesn't show Rodallega miss in the very last minute.