1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Fulham v Hull City

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by Chazz Rheinhold, Sep 11, 2017.

1. hovetiger

hovetiger Well-Known Member

1st game of the season for me last night (apart from watching the 2 TV games). To be honest, I thought 2-1 flattered us. No balance in the side whatsoever that I can see. The defence is far too open, with no obvious leader. The midfield balance isn't right, and we seem overloaded with one-paced, technical, 'creative' players and not enough leadership, steel, energy or physical presence. Given that, playing 3 out and out forward players, none of whom have any great physical presence, none of whom are particularly good at tracking back (though Bowen does work hard), and hardly any of whom appear to particularly consistent just puts more pressure on the weaknesses elsewhere.
    Bottom line is we look like we could be a nice footballing side (when allowed to be) that is just far too soft, open, naive and lacking in leaders.

Newland Tiger likes this.
  2. askewshair

askewshair Well-Known Member

Is anyone really surprised we are struggling? I cant believe how positive people on here were after the transfer window. It was shocking. Has-been's, untried kids, a player from one of the cannon fodder teams in this league, a cast off from team in same division. To me, there wasn't one player who stood out as a great tried and tested signing (Stewart possibly the exception and he's got injured!) It was awful. Add that to an untried (in this country) manager, with no support staff, the whole heart ripped out of the team, no continuity, a totally disillusioned fan base.
    And it's not hindsight, I did say this at the time, but was accused of negativity.

3. TIGERSCAVE

TIGERSCAVE Well-Known Member

You were right then and you're right now Askew.. And some people praised Escab too.... go figure...!!!

4. hovetiger

hovetiger Well-Known Member

Not sure how you highlight Stewart as 'tried and tested'. Has he played 20 games yet? Bit harsh on Irvine and Toral who have at least had some success at this level, but can't argue with the general thrust of your argument.
    Last time we got promoted, there must have been only Clucas, more or less, of our 1st choice eleven, who had played less than 100 games at Championship level or above. This season there must be at least half of them.

5. SydneyTiger14

SydneyTiger14 Well-Known Member

I think people's expectations of challenging for promotion are coloring our perceptions of that performance. We'll finish top ten if we're lucky and hopefully sort out a solid core to push on next season.

6. Steven Toast

Steven Toast Well-Known Member

I agree. It took 3 seasons to bounce back after our first PL relegation, but we built a solid squad over that time. I'd happily do that again.

SW3 Chelsea Tiger likes this.
  7. WSTiger

WSTiger Well-Known Member

Ok wake me up in a couple of years. Seriously good chance that we are going down.

8. SydneyTiger14

No there isn't.

9. Gone For A Walk

Gone For A Walk Well-Known Member

So would I.
    But we won't.
    #:emoticon-0162-coffe

Steven Toast likes this.
  10. askewshair

Absolutely agree, it does take time to build solid foundations. Last January's transfer policy basically highlighted he has no long term strategy and so it was clear even then we wouldn't be challenging for promotion this season. I wish we'd gone for Rowett then.
    And if he had decided on a long term plan/ building foundations etc, it's frigging ridiculous when he a massive advantage over other teams over the next two years of parachute payments. After that we'll be back in the pack with other clubs having that extra money.
    I hope to god Ehab doesn't have a long term strategy, you can't do that in what's left of 24 hrs. I suspect now that he does but its not slowly building for a promotion push, it's cashing in on anything saleable. That investment they made in the youth policy should have been an indicator. They are now starting to have a value.

11. askewshair

You're right, I was trying to be optimistic (didn't enjoy it) re Stewart. Rather than tried and tested, I would be confident in saying we have a good un there? Irvine had slipped under the radar for me, has he had a lot of success previously?

12. Chazz Rheinhold

Chazz Rheinhold Well-Known Member

Ha he hasn't got a long term strategy, he has got one, he has he hasn't. What u trying to say askew?

13. Top_Tiger

Top_Tiger Well-Known Member

Don't worry lads we could loan some more Chelsea lads.

14. SydneyTiger14

Ten goals and player of the season for Burton says yes.

15. WithsHC

WithsHC Member

Only in January though

16. Steven Toast

Steven Toast Well-Known Member

No, there isn't. It just looks that way because after 7 games we're not looking gelled. What do you think we'll look like as a squad once our injuries come back and our players have gelled? Relegation candidates? Even if we finish 20th, we can build. We might not keep any outstanding performers, but the Slutsky link to Chelsea is a useful thing to have and I'm really hoping he sticks around, he's a very good manager.

17. Chazz Rheinhold

Chazz Rheinhold Well-Known Member

Well gell

18. BrAdY

BrAdY Well-Known Member

We are looking more alberto balsamn than brylcreem right now

19. Leon T Trout AFC

Leon T Trout AFC Well-Known Member

You're right, we won't go down.

I used to occasionally read RTG and Geordie forums for a laugh - how they'd swing from extreme emotion to emotion. Nowadays, we have it in this forum so I rarely bother.

The loudest tend to be those who practically lived up Allam's arse until we got relegated/stopped delivering quality football in 2015.

20. lewisc29

lewisc29 Idiot

To be fair, that seems to be consistent with our performances. We either look a strong, decent side and win 5-0, or look a total shambles and lose 5-0.

brownbagtiger likes this.