1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Full Strength Defense

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by mackemwelder, Jan 25, 2015.

1. mackemwelder

mackemwelder Well-Known Member

Just seen that Reveillere is back to full fitness and pushing for a return. Chuffed about this TBH as IMO he offers more than Jones. Not sure how this fits into the new system but I'd like to see a back line of

Reveillere - O'Shea - Brown - PVA with Catts sat just in front of them. For me, this is our strongest backline and offers more going forward with the two full backs getting down the wings. Both have proved they can do it and are comfortable on the ball, hopefully Gus shares my opinions for the Burnley match.

ANTHONY Reveillere is glad to be returning to the fold with Sunderland’s full-back ranks at full strength.
    Reveillere could be involved for today’s FA Cup fourth round clash against Fulham after a month on the sidelines since injuring his Achilles in the warm-up prior to the Tyne-Wear derby.
    The former France international was signed on a short-term deal back in October when fellow right-back Billy Jones was facing a sustained spell on the sidelines, before Gus Poyet’s defensive headache increased when left-back Patrick van Aanholt dislocated his shoulder on Reveillere’s debut.
    But on his return to fitness, Reveillere faces the situation of having to oust both Jones and van Aanholt from the starting line-up, with the duo both now recovered from their injuries and deployed as wing-backs in last weekend’s Premier League defeat at Spurs.
    With Santiago Vergini operating at right-back for the majority of this season too, there is suddenly some competition for a place in Sunderland’s defence.
    Reveillere told the Echo: “I know there’s competition now, but that’s football.
    “With other defenders coming back, the manager has got some choices and that’s no problem.
    “It’s much better than when a number of us full-backs were injured.
    “It’s important to get everyone back to 100 per cent, because the team still has a lot of games to play, in league and cup.
    “And then it’s down to the manager to use us all in the most effective way.
    “I’d love everyone to be available on the pitch at the same time, rather than on the treatment table.
    “It’s important that everyone is fit.”
    Reveillere has impressed in his seven appearances for the Black Cats, particularly considering the 35-year-old had been without a club since May after being released by Serie A outfit Napoli.
    The former Lyon man has played all-but 35 minutes of his Sunderland career as a left-back too, to cover for the injured van Aanholt.
    While Reveillere had operated there previously, he remains a right-back by trade and is looking forwards to challenging for that spot.
    “Yes, it’s my position,” said Reveillere.
    “I played right-back at Crystal Palace for 35 minutes, but after Pat unfortunately got injured, I had to go to the left.
    “I then carried on at left-back because there were a lot of injuries to the defence.
    “I know that I can play on the right or on the left if I’m asked by the manager.
    “But, at the same time, I’ve always said that I prefer to play on the right.
    “I feel like I can contribute more there in terms of both attacking and defending.
    “I can play with my left foot, but I’m stronger on my right.”

Makemstine Roger likes this.
  2. marcusblackcat

marcusblackcat SAFC Sheriff
    Forum Moderator

Problem is that 4-4-2 will not work for a prolonged period. He would replace Jones for me who has struggled since returning from injury

3. mackemwelder

Wasn't suggesting we play 4 4 2 mate, more like a back 5 with cats just sat in front of the 2 central defenders. Haven't seen the new formation to be honest, I just think Reveillere has a bot more to offer than Jones.

4. Makemstine Roger

Makemstine Roger Well-Known Member

good read mate, thanks for that and well pleased he is back

5. concrete tony

concrete tony Well-Known Member

He for me has been our best player this season.

6. RedNWhite4Life

RedNWhite4Life Well-Known Member

I also think that is our best defensive set up. For me there is no reason why 442 wouldn't work as long as cattermole was disciplined enough to just sit. Larsson would be the other CM basically just doing what he is currently doing running rpund making tackles and moving the ball on. This would leave any 4 of Johnson Defoe Fletcher Whickham Giaccherini and Alvarez to work something out and be our creative/goalscoring players.

7. mackemwelder

I must admit that I wasn't overly impressed when I heard we had a 35 year old French lad training with us, then game him a contract. Fair play to him he came in as RB, PVA got crocked and the lad deputised as though he'd been with us for years. Defensively he's decent, gets well like a man ten years his junior and puts decent balls into the box and all that from a bloke who isn't playing in he preferred position.

I'd have him straight in as RB against Burnley mate, give Jones a reality check.

8. Brian Storm

Brian Storm Well-Known Member

I'd like to merge the two. The french lad is just too old and slow to run an entire flank on his own. Jones isn't as switched on defensively or has the experience to read the game like Reveillere. Both have key elements needed but both have massive flaws.

9. mackemwelder

Agree the lad isn't a sprinter mate but he covers the ground and his final ball and ball skills have quality to them, manages to find a good cross and delivers a good final product. Overall I think he is a better prospect than Jones IMHO

10. Brian Storm

Well I'm not rating Jones myself but any system which involves one play running an entire flank depends on their ability to hit the by line, Reveillere has the engine but not the pace, as good and solid as he his I don't recall him hitting the byline yet. balance and width depends on the ability. Both have different strengths and weaknesses, Like I said, I'd like merge the two. RB in the summer for me like. Reveillere is a good a enough fill in but I wouldn't renew and I don't want Jones as first choice rb/rwb either.

11. mackemwelder

I don't understand why he HAS to hit the byline? AJ doesn't do it all the time and he was used as an out and out winger up till recently.

Personally I think we've had better quality balls delivered into the box when either the wing back, winger, or rampaging Vergini has cut on, isolating the opposition FB.

12. Brian Storm

We can't break a defensive line down the middle of the pitch mate, if we don't do it on the flanks we don't break them down at all, which is what's happened all season

It stretches defences fella. The angle of a deep cross is easy for defenders to deal with, as the ball is more often than not in front of the defender so they can head out or clear comfortably. a cross from the byline area is really difficult for defenders to deal with as the ball is coming from behind the defensive line with attackers running on to it instead of the other way round. We've moved the ball slowly all season, defences have been organised and the crosses have come in from deep and we've lost the ball virtually every time.

Notice in the Fulham game Billy Jones got beyond the defensive line to put the cross in and we created more chances but the quality of his delivery lets him down. It's the whole point of us playing wing backs mate. To get around the back of the defensive line. It adds width to stretch defences. It's why we've needed quick fullbacks fit and why we've been so ineffective with Vergini and Reveillere on the pitch as neither of them are quick enough to get into that dangerous area. They're too slow to run a flank on their own. They can't get forward quick enough and they can't get back quick enough so stay deeper out of precaution.

13. Lostinvegas

Lostinvegas Well-Known Member

We should play like this:

..............Pants..........
    REV JOS Brown PVA
    .......Catts..Larsson
    Johnson............Giacc
    ..........Wickham........
    .........Defoe..............

Giacc and Wickham would be interchangeable, Giacc would drop in the hole and lat PVA go forward outside him with Wickham going up top. When defending Wickham would drop in and be the go to man to hold the ball up when we win it back. He would then have Defoe in front of him when were countering instead of just 1 man up front.

14. The Ultimate Mackem

The Ultimate Mackem Well-Known Member

Give Jones a reality check <laugh> you what? the lad was one of our best players on Saturday before clueless gus sub him for buckteeth.

15. The Ultimate Mackem

The Ultimate Mackem Well-Known Member

It's no point in saying play this or play that because by the looks of it it's 3-5-2 from now on. johnson will play in the hole & that means Giacc & alvarez will be on the bench. sad times ahead pal.

16. Brian Storm

Still not sold on Jones like, bit weak defensively and his final ball is woeful at times, but he did his job better than anyone against fulham. He got behind the Fulham back line and created some chances, exactly what we want from our wingbacks, better then deep crosses form Reveillere who's undoubtedly better defensively but safe isn't creating us chances. Jones ahead of Reveillere all day long for me.