1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Future England (fantasy) sides?

Discussion in 'England' started by Poolliver LallanaDelRey, Jun 25, 2012.

1. Itchen North Matt

Itchen North Matt Active Member

-----------------Hart----------------
    Richards---Cahill---Lescott---Cole
    ---------Wilshere---Parker---------
    Chamberlain---Cleverley----Young
    ---------------Wellbeck-------------

Subs:
    Green
    Ruddy
    Walker
    Smalling
    Jones
    Baines
    Rodwell
    Gerrard
    McEachrane
    Powell
    Walcott
    Carroll

Didn't have a whole load of ideas for the bench, but I do think that a younger team is the way forward. Good as Rooney is, we're a better team without him. I've put Nick Powell there as he's a confident player who can come up with moments of magic and a player who I don't think will be intimidated by the big stage. It's a risk, but one that could really pay off.

2. theHotHead

theHotHead New Member

The back four is ok, I think Jones will be a decent CB ... eventually. Richards is a better RB than CB, I don't rate him there. Walker has big pace and defends well and Cole is good. Defending is not England's problem .. its everything in front of them. To be able to play possession football the defence need to be comfortable playing the ball out, I don't see any Ledley King/Rio Ferdinand style CBs who can do that.

Carrick is utter pap, he is far too slow on the ball and his passing is iffy. He is nowhere near technical enough a player. Wilshere is certainly of the standard required, not seen enough of Cleverly to pass judgement. Young is nowhere near international quality, Rooney doesn't cut it at international level, Sturridge may come good but, he seems a bit hit and miss - certainly more hit than Young though.

Subs - your midfield subs bar OXO are all sub standard, they already got mugged off this tournament, why would you include them again ? Gerrard cannot play possession football. Defenders, Terry will be too old, Kelly looks a very good ball playing RB but Baines and Smalling, no way. Attacking - Carroll should only be playing for aerial threat, Walcott as a winger is sh!te, Sinclair is nowhere near good enough and Welbeck doesn't have the quality necessary - as we all saw. He may improve but I think he is near his ceiling now.

I really cannot see anything to be excited about in the squad like I said.

3. Poolliver LallanaDelRey

1. To be able to play possession football the defence need to be comfortable playing the ball out, I don't see any Ledley King/Rio Ferdinand style CBs who can do that.

As a young player Jones's main criticism is that he comes out of the box and sometimes finds his way in to the midfield, therefore the evidence is there to suggest that he is comfortable on the ball. As for Richards, he started as a center back. Richards proved that he is versatile being able to play both CB as well as the RB possession for his team. This is the reason why I made these two my CB partnership. Whether this will work is questionable but I'm sure you can see the logic behind it? Nonetheless I'm not the manager so don't beat yourself up about it :p.

2. not seen enough of Cleverly to pass judgement. Young is nowhere near international quality, Rooney doesn't cut it at international level | Carrick is utter pap

I personally think lots of people are too early to criticize those who play for Manchester United; I know the likes of Rooney and Young had yet another bad tournament however the best manager in football since... ever has faith in them. So I wouldn't judge just yet (this is coming from a Liverpool fan). Also I think you very much underrate Carrick; then again people seem to simply love him or hate him for some bizarre reason.

3. Subs

Lots of my substitutions such as Terry, Gerrard, Parker, Carroll and Walcott were put in place just incase we needed to change the system for whatever reason (I see you have noticed this with your Carroll explanation). Terry for example would be used if say we are numerous goals up and we are trying to see out a match.

As many have noted there are numerous of english youth coming through at the moment have you seen one Raheem Stirling for example? If you do not like my squad just bare this is mind (we have alternatives) :). Be optomistic man!

:1980_boogie_down:

I personally don't think English football is in too bad state myself. Please note though these are just my opinions, I simply wanted to justify my logic as to why I believe them.

4. redconn

redconn Active Member

Carrick is a mediocre crab who adds no value other than passing 5 yards sideways to good foreigners at club level.

He can play tippy tappy fair enough. But that's only valuable in two situations.
    1. You have top class wide players (England don't)
    2. You have an entire team set up to play tippy tappy (England don't)

WTF is the point of Carrick with his long and storied history of being humiliated and overrun by any decent European side and only 'winning' when he can pass to Ronaldo 50 yards from goal and he does the rest.

Carrick has played for England plenty of times and we weren't transformed into Barcelona. We weren't even transformed into Wigan FFS. He just looked scared and Gerrard had to babysit him.

Stop this fictional representation of a utility water carrier into something he never was and never will be.

5. Poolliver LallanaDelRey

What can I say? You either like him or you don't.

I personally respect him as a player but dislike him as he plays for the mancs XD. Now I could right a list showing the reasoning to why I think Carrick is a good player; however I suspect you have heard his before. I agree to disagree on this one :), we have enough threads praising / questioning Carricks ability.

6. theHotHead

theHotHead New Member

Put me down as another massive non Carrick fan !

7. Poly

Poly Well-Known Member

OK just looking at your 1st XI...

Walker and Cole would also be my first choices but not wing backs, they'd be full backs. Carrick goes missing when the heat is on...Parker is miles ahead right now but getting on...hopefully Rodwell will come through but I was disappointed to see him sign for Man City where he'll get less chance for development than at Everton.

I still think Joe Cole is the most talented midfielder available and Wilshere as a left footer needs to play on the left.

Young as a right footer needs to play on the right. Sturridge has yet to prove himself...Adam Johnson is the best left footed wide man available to England.

So my 1st XI would look like:

Hart

Walker - Cahill - Lescott - A.Cole

J.Cole - Parker / Rodwell - Wilshere

Young - Rooney - Johnson

In defence, it's a 4-5-1 formation, switching to 4-3-3 in attack

Back ups:
    Buckland, Green
    Johnson, Jagielka, Jones, Baines
    Cleverly, Lampard, Gerrard
    Walcott, Welbeck/ Defoe, Oxlade-Chamberlain

I'm uncomfortable with older players like Lampard and Gerrard but there's too few younger players coming through to challenge them.