1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Game Over For Ole

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Treble, Sep 25, 2021.

1. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

Yeah, it's a good post.

He's also too old for the job full time so it eliminates the temptation to give him the job full time.

Genuine class act who will see out the season while they recruit the right man.

2. cytrax

cytrax Well-Known Member

I’m impressed! It also gives the fans time to reset our expectations. There is a lot of work needed to be done to create structure around this team. He will bring that structure.

From the beeps…
    “Rangnick impressed during an initial conversation with United officials earlier this week.

However, he has held further discussions about his role beyond the end of the season.

Senior United figures believe Rangnick's expertise will be invaluable from a technical and structural perspective.”

Nicely called, Chief!

3. cytrax

cytrax Well-Known Member

I would still like ten Hag to come in after instead of Poch.

4. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

It certainly opens up that prospect now.

A definite option.

5. cytrax

cytrax Well-Known Member

"I also think they could do with a left-back, I know they have Luke Shaw but I'm not so sure if he's still on the same kind of level you need to be for a club like Manchester United," Rangnick said in an interview in September 2020.

I like this man already! It is time we start putting teams out based on form. No more untouchables that can continue to put in dreadful performances and still be automatic picks. Given the huge squad, there should be more competition for games which should force players to put in effort to fight to be included in starting 11 on weekly basis.

6. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

I'm only disappointed we didn't even try to get a permanent manager. I would've liked us to have at least put the £10m on the table.

Having said that, from what I'm reading and hearing, Rangnick is not just a short term appointment. Yes manager for 6 months but very likely DOF after that, which given his credentials, I think could be a decent bit of strategic business by our Board going forward.

If this is the thinking then fair play <ok>

It also means he may very well be bringing in a player or two in January, which I doubt any other interim would've been able to do.

7. Christiansmith

Christiansmith Well-Known Member

I await his first match with trepidation. Apparently those who know German and European football claim he was the godfather of the high pressing/heavy metal game. He expects everyone to press without the ball and when they get the ball to instantly attack the opposition without them having a chance to regroup. Remind you of a specific premiership team? Interesting to see how he deals with Ronaldo.

I think they would have persevered with Poch if they thought they had a chance. PSG seemed serious about not letting him go although I wonder whether they now wished (after theCity match) they had made a deal with Utd. Poch is not flavour of the month atm with Zidane being high up on PSG’s agenda. Poch knows that PSG will sack him if they don’t win the CL. On that showing they’ve got no chance.

8. cytrax

cytrax Well-Known Member

On what showing exactly? They lost to Manchester City in Manchester 2-1 and everyone is writing as though the manager is just sht. My goodness!

Not that I care for Poch particularly but the reaction to that match illustrates how stupid football has become that a manager’s credentials would be questioned for losing an away match by one goal. It was actually a great game of football. I think that the reactions have been deeply unfair.

Diego likes this.
  9. Christiansmith

i think you misread my post as a criticism of Poch. You revert to type: in that the players can do no wrong and it’s all the fault of the manager <whistle> It was intended to look at PSG as a team competing against their top rivals for the CL.

Their top 3 stars didn’t help in the defending let’s be honest. May be that was the strategy all along. But Messi, Mbappe and neymar hardly helped with the defending when PSG were under the cosh. Yes 2-1 is hardly a poor score but I don’t think they could play that way against the likes of Chelsea, Bayern and others in the latter stages of the CL and get away with it. Same with us. 2-0 wasn’t a poor statistical score but we really know what happened.

10. cytrax

cytrax Well-Known Member

This is a poor post, Christian! Few contradictions too! Your first post clearly blamed Poch. Then you followed it up with that poor response about how I somehow reverted to players can do no wrong. This is one match ffs! Anyway…

The fact that you’re actually comparing the final scoreline of that match against our 2-0 defeat is mind numbing!

I watched the game yesterday and it was throughly entertaining with both sides evenly balanced. Conversely, our game against City was a poor and horrible one sided match and we were lucky with the scoreline.

Your logic here is not sound, Christian! Go to bed!! :D

11. Christiansmith

I can’t see why? It was an interesting and entertaining game but City were well on top. YOU were the one that mentioned the score 2-1 as an indication that psg doesn’t deserve criticism. Don’t look at the score only. Watch the match. I only used the 2-0 against us to show that the score isn’t everything. My point is that irrespective of the problems and issues at the club, psg will blame Poch whether he deserves it or not and will be sacked. I thought these 3 superstars should have done more but I don’t blame Poch for it.

I think the problem with you is that you read what is implied rather what’s written. I’ve not blamed Poch for anything…yet! It’s happened a few times during Oles time that you misread my intentions. But I know I am rational but may be it’s your bedtime? ;)

Last edited: Nov 26, 2021
  12. cytrax

cytrax Well-Known Member

Bastard!! lol

Christiansmith likes this.
  13. Christiansmith

<wah>

look we are not different in our view of Poch. Still think he will be our target at the end of the season. Who knows we might even get him for free. Unless we win the CL and we start pushing up the table like a steam train under Rangnick. In which case, we go back to a previous scenario <whistle>

cytrax likes this.
  14. cytrax

cytrax Well-Known Member

I like that we appear to have gone back to the basics with this appointment. Enough of the superstars and legends as coaches. We need structure first and foremost in order to build a more sustainable competitive outcome for the team in years to come.

If it is going to be Poch, I believe that the team will be better served for him to come in at a more stable time than this period. I’ve been reading more of his past take on football and interviews. It is clear that Rangnick is too old for bs which is exactly what we need now. Then layer the fact that the man knows football - it’s a win-win for the club!

We shall see where we go from here.

15. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

I hope Rangnick is in charge for the Chelsea game.

Not because I expect him to work miracles in a couple of days, but if he gets a chance to work with the players and sees how they respond against a good side it'll be a game that'll prove useful for him rather than just another wasted match.

Hopefully the players will want to impress as well.

16. Christiansmith

Apparently this is not happening as he’s not got working permit yet. And Moscow not officially agreed. So it looks like Carrick at the helm. If we play cautious like juventus we are in big trouble.

Treble likes this.
  17. Christiansmith

In a way this could be a sign that the club wants to move on from relying on the glories of the past. It has tried to replicate the Fergie way many times and failed. Ole epitomised that link. But now hopefully we are looking at modern methods and structure and organisation. Unthinkable in the times of Fergie and even now when we were desperately searching for an identity or a system under Ole. Interesting to see whether the money men will trust him with resources or will they chicken out? How will Ronaldo adapt to the physically demanding system used by Rangnick or will the latter tweak his system to optimise the 36 yr old?

And we could have those ex-legends at club learning from him to become better trainers and improving the talent rather then regressing them.

18. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

I'm extremely optimistic that Rangnick can drag United up into the modern world.

We've needed this for quite some time, both van Gaal and Mourinho were living in murky backwaters, van Gaal especially was a massive mistake that set us back a decade in progress (where the **** are you @UIR????), and Ole just did not have the coaching nous and techniques required to compete at the top, despite his best efforts.

Rangnick, who was/is a pioneer, should hopefully set us on the right direction.

Sunday is a hit and hope, he'll be in place after that.

(I am going to the Palace game, which will be his first league game in charge hopefully!!)

19. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

Palace will be a test in itself. The football Vieira has them playing is top drawer given the squad he has.

20. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

Yeah, I know it wont be easy.

But if you can't go to a match at home against Crystal Palace without some expectation of a win then you're in the wrong place to be honest.

cytrax likes this.