1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Gareth Bale - Win/Win or Lose/Lose?

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by Tottenham Jamspurs, Jul 28, 2013.

1. remembercolinlee

remembercolinlee Well-Known Member

He'd hear a **** load of booing tbh

2. Spurf

Spurf Thread Mover
    Forum Moderator

Yes I think that was what I was thinking of, also during games the negative tactics as seen against Palace and Fulham would produce a big reaction from the crowd that would push the players to move forward.

remembercolinlee likes this.
  3. Spurf

Spurf Thread Mover
    Forum Moderator

Without crowds the game is very different and the league table shows that. Tactics are dictated by the managers and there is no outside influence (the crowd) to affect them. As soon as you bring fans in the passion reaches the players and changes their reactions and movements. I think we are underestimating the effects of empty stadiums which changes a lot more than just simple home advantage, as important as that was. Some players will prefer the lack of crowd pressure others, possibly Bale and Dele, will miss those reactions and lose something from their game.

4. KingHotspur

KingHotspur Well-Known Member

Not really related but Celtic up here have massively been affected by a lack of crowd and that’s why their home form is awful by their usual standards. Away teams in general don’t really feel the hostility or atmosphere.

Weird times on/off the pitch

remembercolinlee and Spurf like this.
  5. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Celtic have been more affected by having a ****ty manager, in my opinion.

6. humanbeingincroydon

humanbeingincroydon Well-Known Member

It also means we can watch Old Firm games without the poisonous atmosphere and enjoy them for the football on display

They a bit ****, aren't they?

remembercolinlee likes this.
  7. Lovearsenalcock

Lovearsenalcock Homeboy
    Forum Moderator

He’s done nothing

Won’t be missed if he went

We need someone serious about playing and occupying that 3rd attacking spot.

8. KingHotspur

He’s not really been given a chance has he

9. PleaseNotPoll

Forum Moderator

Hasn't he? Joined crocked, played all of the Europa group games and hasn't looked anywhere near fit.
    I don't see where Mourinho's going to risk giving him many more chances, to be honest.
    I'd prefer to see Bergwijn, Moura or Lamela starting ahead of him on the right at the moment.

10. Lovearsenalcock

Lovearsenalcock Homeboy
    Forum Moderator

There’s only 11 starting spots

everyone deserves a chance it seems...even if you’ve been dogshit for 2 years on the bounce.

he’s played most of Europa

more was expected in the chances he’s had

11. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

Bergwijn to an extent yes, despite his inability to hit the target his all round performance is generally ok but his lack of finishing has been problematic for us at times.

Moura and Lamela though, not for me. Watching Moura in the Prem has been painful for quite some time, he's done well in Europa and that's where I think we should primarily stick with him, whilst whenever Lamela's featured he's often done nothing, I think the perception of him always adding aggression and bite is overplayed by our fans and it's only really a 1-in-5 (ish) ratio where Lamela actually makes a decent enough impact.

Bale hasn't looked brilliant by any means but he's got far better predator instincts than the other two in my opinion. He's played a lot less in the Prem than them and has the same amount of goals as Lucas whilst Lamela's contributed nothing. I think he should be featuring a lot more in the Prem, especially over these two.

Spurf and KingHotspur like this.
  12. The Huddlefro

The Huddlefro Well-Known Member

For me it depends on the game. Bergwijn is definitely the first choice, I think he brings us a lot on the pitch and the goals I think will come.

Moura is definitely a bit more out of the picture for the PL now, I think Jose liked him initially because he works hard and is tactically quite flexible but now Bergwijn is working just as hard for the team it knocks Moura down the order a bit. For Bale or Lamela, there are some games where I'd absolutely want Lamela because of his attitude, but Bale absolutely should be getting more chances if we're chasing a game because of his quality - I don't think his instincts or abilities as a footballer are in question, his fitness is just shot.

So for me, Moura for the EL and cups, Lamela if we're closing out a narrow game, Bale if we're chasing a late goal.

13. KingHotspur

Bale is still a better option than Lucas, Lamela and Bergwijn for me.

Spurf and Lovearsenalcock like this.
  14. KingHotspur

How does a player get fit? By playing games.

15. PleaseNotPoll

Forum Moderator

He got games. He didn't improve and, if anything, he looked a little less energetic, then he got injured again.
    He's still a goal threat and shows flashes of his old self now and again, but he can't keep up at the moment.
    He offers nothing defensively and leaves our already vulnerable fullbacks open to all kinds of ****.

Tilly'sowner and Lovearsenalcock like this.
  16. PleaseNotPoll

Forum Moderator

Bergwijn's struggling with an injury or two, which seems to have affected his finishing. Might be due to confidence.
    He's still putting in the hard work and getting around the pitch well.

Moura's barely played in the Premier League this season and when he has it's been on the left.
    Started our first three matches and Burnley away, then reduced to the odd sub appearance now and then.
    Our record this season with him starting is W: 10, D: 2, L: 1 and one of those draws was Newcastle, which we were winning when he went off.

Picking Bale now is like having Darren Bent back in the side.
    We'll get an extra goal every now and then, but you're carrying a passenger for most of the match.
    No idea how reliable this is, but this was taken from a recent training video of ours:

I don't think he says those exact words and he could be talking to another player, but...

17. The Huddlefro

Oddly with Bale I see a similar change in his physicality as with Alli. Both were sharp, dynamic movers with and without the ball - obviously Bale much quicker but they were both sharp. Now they both look more languid, almost like they don’t trust their bodies any more. Nothing wrong with either technically but the physical side is so important too.

Lovearsenalcock likes this.
  18. PleaseNotPoll

Forum Moderator

I'd say it's more similar to Dier. Bulked up too much, slowed down a bit and isn't as mobile, which has hurt his engine.

19. The Huddlefro

Perhaps a bit of that. But I have no doubt the injuries factor in too. Hamstring injuries can be like that.

20. PleaseNotPoll

Forum Moderator

I know what you mean and it can be as much psychological as physical. Not sure that's his issue, though.