1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Gary Cahill also ruled out of the Euro's now.

Discussion in 'England' started by Sanj, Jun 3, 2012.

1. SaintsForTheWin

SaintsForTheWin Any holes a goal

Terry has been poor too and he's a racist chav.

2. Itchen North Matt

Itchen North Matt Active Member

Kelly is a fairly decent player and he's young. Maybe Roy sees the potential.

Liverpool have had a poor season, but if selection was based purely on club form, we'd never have a settled 11, so some unpopular decisios need to be made somewhere.

3. Lenny

Lenny Well-Known Member

You can, anyone may be called up as a replacement for a player whose injury is deemed sufficiently serious by UEFA and its doctors.

Kelly is ridiculous. He has some promise, but surely taking Richards as a guaranteed starter (IMO Walker is better but injured, and anyway, Richards is miles ahead of Glen ****ing Johnson) would have been a better move.

I also think Jagielka and Lescott should start ahead of Terry - Lescott and Terry is a weaker partnership - they both like to play on the left and IMO Terry isn't actually that great any more.

4. SaintsForTheWin

SaintsForTheWin Any holes a goal

Totally agree <ok>

5. Murray

Murray Active Member

Why the furor over Kelly? He's about 5th choice CB behind Lescott, Terry, Jones and Jagielka. He'll probably never get on the pitch, and its not like there's anyone else worth picking ahead of him right now (don't see Rio, he's crap).

6. Psycho2k

Psycho2k Active Member

What he actually said was that he wasn't sure if Rio could play in EVERY game at the Euro's, but he also said the experience of players like Rio could be crucial to the younger players and he thought he should definitely be in the squad, and we are the retards you say? <doh>.

Hodgson made claims that he would be happy to make the call to at least ask Carrick to play if he was needed saying he did the same with Switzerland in a similar situation when Chapuisat got injured, but now he's hiding behind the FA by saying they had talked to him previously so he didn't bother. I'm not saying I agree with their decision to not be on the standby list but I can understand Carrick's frustration, after playing a key role at United helping them win 4 titles during his time with the club he was still not able to even get off the bench in a major tournament for England, I think he only played in one single group game during the last 2 world cups.

7. Psycho2k

Psycho2k Active Member

Good point, there is already more than enough wasted space in that squad with the likes of Downing, Johnson, Carroll, Walcott and Milner.

8. Psycho2k

Psycho2k Active Member

True, although Rio did play in the team that finished 37 points ahead of most of those mentioned, those players were so bad that they got a club legend sacked as manager.

9. Alan

Alan Well-Known Member

Yep, winning the Carling cup really is a great achievement and is better than finishing 2nd.

10. Psycho2k

Psycho2k Active Member

Maybe the penalty experience they gained after failing to beat Cardiff in normal time would prove valuable, but they would need to actually get to the knockout rounds for that to be useful.

11. Psycho2k

Psycho2k Active Member

Remind me how Liverpool got on in Europe this season, I seem to have forgotten?

12. Warmir Pouchov

Warmir Pouchov Better than JPF

Richards and Carrick are exactly the types we do not want involved. Kelly is a good choice given versatility, U21 background and considering whats left to pick from.

13. Pete Doherty

Pete Doherty New Member

Only a complete mong would pick an international squad based on how many trophies they won.
    Only Gerrard of the Liverpool players is good enough for the England squad, and that is only because Wilshere and Lampard are injured and Scholes has retired from international football.

14. Alan

Alan Well-Known Member

Please explain this logic of yours that winning a meaningless tin pot trophy is a better qualification for the euro's rather than a team competing for the premier league trophy till the final day and only losing out on goal difference.

15. Simon21-LUFC

Simon21-LUFC Well-Known Member

Something a lot of people pass over is that it simply makes sense not to call up Rio. Setting aside all of the arguments about his fitness etc. if he was called up every single CB in the squad would be over or pushing 30. Bringing in Kelly allows Jones to move to CB and provide more versatility of playing styles in that position as well as avoiding any dressing room tension involving him and Terry.

16. redconn

redconn Active Member

Jones is taking Rio's spot, not Kelly

1. Johnson
    2. Richards
    3. Walker
    4. Kelly
    5. Jones

That's my pecking order of rightbacks

With Walker injured and Richards some sort of pariah, then Roy got it right.

I still don't understand what every single manager has against Richards but they've all got it.

17. Simon21-LUFC

Simon21-LUFC Well-Known Member

Richards would be in the squad by now had he not refused to be on the standby list.

18. Psycho2k

Psycho2k Active Member

Johnson 1st? I'm not even convinced he's a better fullback than Kelly never mind Walker and Richards. I would of preferred to see Johnson picked as the right midfielder instead of Milner (as Woy obviously wants more defensive wide men) because I think he's a much better player than he is a defender, and Milner is **** of course lol.

19. redconn

redconn Active Member

Johnson is comfortably better than Kelly. But Kelly is very good.

Johnson's the best England have. The myths about his defensive lapses are solely based on a bad patch he went through a couple of years ago and if you watched him regularly you'd realise that's all it was. A bad patch a long time ago.

He's ace going forward as well.

20. Pete Doherty

Pete Doherty New Member

Richards and Johnson should be the right backs, with the pecking order for centre backs being:

Ferdinand
    Terry
    Lescott
    Jagielka
    Smalling
    Jones