1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

General Election June 8TH

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by Plymborn, Apr 18, 2017.

1. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Sorry sensible I didn't think you needed an answer.....I wasn't deliberately ignoring you....there's so much EU law pouring into our daily lives that I just thought you where joking.

For example between 2010 and 2013 the EU gave us 3,600 directives to put into British law.

Personally.... things like my lawnmower being to noisy (how do I check that).....unable to buy a vacuum cleaner above a certain wattage anymore.....and the bill for hundreds of £'s I had to pay for my house to be assessed for 'energy efficiency'.....when I put it on the market before moving here......I made the mistake of printing it out so I had a copy, I hadn't noticed that it ran to 56 sheets of A4 paper....pressed print and went off to do something else.....came back to find the printer had run out of paper on 41 sheets...... I cannot buy certain styles of Desk lamps anymore because of an EU directive.....it just goes on and on......the French are the worst EU country for ignoring Brussels addiction to red tape.....it would have taken 92 days to read all the regulations that came out of Brussels between 2010/13 an endless stream of red-tape diarrhoea.

Laws passed without any meaningful debate forced on us by EU directives which are stitched on us by the European Commission, rubber stamped by the European Parliament and then ordered to be incorporated into British law.....it will take years and years for us to untangle ourselves from it all......have you been living in a cocoon away from it all sensible ?......Big Brother (1984) has nothing on the monster that is the United States of the EU moving it's tentacles throughout every part of our lives.

Joining the 'Common Market' in 1974 seemed a good idea at the time....but Maastricht changed all that for ever....and the march towards Europe becoming a super state began and Federalism taking over from Democracy started to happen.

We have finally cottoned on to what is happening.....the UK has now got to get out of the cobweb of EU directives that has taken over our lives.

I'm sorry sensible....but that is how I see it and many other people as well......it's probably better if we just accept that we agree to differ on this subject and move on to enjoying Argyle in Div 1 next season.

2. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

Having successfully f**ked up the UK, you'll remember Farage started trying to ingratiate himself with Trump. In similar style to what he's done in the UK, this involved stirring up racism in red-neck North California in an attempt to separate it from the better educated and enlightened south, thus reducing the power of one of Trump's most powerful critics.

please log in to view this image

He's now under investigation by the FBI into Trump's links with Russia.

3. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Economists at the World Bank forecast that the UK GDP will grow by 1.7%, up from 1.2% which they predicted in January 2017.
    Accelerating growth in emerging and developing markets (4.1% for 2017) has been suggested as a key factor.

4. notDistantGreen

It's the next 5 and 10 years you want to worry about.

5. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Are you seriously telling me that the laws you quote above have had such a profound effect on you and your way of life? Is that it out of these supposed thousands of things that have wrecked living for you. Don't quote a load of crap at me that frankly doesn't matter a jot, give me some law that actually means a huge change of your life. Something serious not window dressing.

It's just a made up scare tactic that these Euro laws have somehow wrecked how we live in the UK. Virtually every law that has come out of the EU has been so marginal in changing things that not many have noticed. When you ask the direct question "how has EU law changed your life" there is a load of fuffing and farting but little in the way of real replies. The truth of the mater is there are thousands of laws made by this country. Unless you want to go about being some sort of crusader on things then few truely matter. Most normal people just get on with their lives which can be hard enough on it's own.

I can assure you there is nothing personal in my comments. I would just remind you that you started this thread so to suggest it is discontinued and we only talk about Argyle now is a bit late. Bit like the out vote. Many might just regret even now the way they voted but once you open the horse box you cannot expect the horse not to move. Just because you are on your own opinion wise now is a bit tough. Plymjools has turned up to support. Only turns up when an election is called these days though. If you don't want the opinions of others on this subject then don't read the comments made but you can't undo the thread now.

6. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

I can assure you sensible having to pay chunks of money for an 'expert' to assess the cost of my property for a 'Energy Efficiency' certificate got me fuming at the time.....it cost a fortune to move home anyrate.......later on after I moved the 'Energy Efficiency' certificate was scrapped and of course I got no refund.....EU red-tape going merrily along sodding around with peoples lives.

Yes I did start this thread....announcing that we where going to have a general election.....I didn't realize that it would create such diverse opinion over Theresa May wanting to strengthen her position regarding the democratic decision of the nation over Brexit.

7. Greenarmyjoe

Greenarmyjoe Well-Known Member

Plym, you will be saving money after an Energy Eff report was done, it could help you save on fuel and heating your home.. You may need to after the winter fuel is gone.. So that is a good thing surely, you may be able to get a grant to insulate and change controls for the system.. The certificates are still being carried out and every home will require one soon.. all rental properties need to have these now. A good thing that the EU done.. only thinking of saving money and making homes more efficient .. makes sense.

8. Greenarmyjoe

Farage is a racist.. no matter what anyone thinks.. He stirred up racial hatred here and the usa..

9. notDistantGreen

Christ Plymborn, if energy efficiency measures, which are after all well intentioned given Global Warming, are the best you can come up with, then I'm more of a Leaver than you.

I said at the outset of this debate that the Human Rights Act enforced ultimately by the European Court of Justice was an offence to natural justice and we needed to scrap it. Amongst other idiocies, it's that that prevents us deporting proven non UK terrorists and rapists to whatever hellhole they came from.

It's not that I'm against real human rights protections but not that abomination.

10. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Blimey notDistant....don't let sensible hear you say that.....he'll roast you alive.

The problem with getting an energy efficiency certificate is that it can effect the value of the selling price.....it can show buyers things that might need doing....and of course effect the selling price......and being a seller at the time that was a problem I didn't need.

As Joe says it could save you money having an energy efficient property if you still lived there.....but it had only started awhile before I was selling in (2010) and many houses were not up to the standard that was being set.....although the loft was insulated....they kept changing the depth of insulation....and the roof was the original 1930's one so it wasn't insulated like more modern ones are now. The walls weren't insulated either....the boiler wasn't seen as efficient as they wanted it to be.....and at that time people just weren't buying.....only a awhile after the Bank crash.....so money was tight.

Joe says that it is still done....but I can remember a couple of years later it was not required.....I don't know if that has changed yet again or not.....EU sodding about for the hell of it...I don't know.

11. Greenarmyjoe

Yes the certificate is still required for renting and when you sell, it gives the buyer the rating of the property. it does not mean the price is lower. unless you have not got heating..

12. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

The whole point of my question in the fist place is that plym quoted something in his reply above that sort of proves a point. Between 2 dates the EU passed 3600 laws. Now call me a sceptic but to know that you would have to be a complete EU annorak or you would have to google it to answer. I doubt many people would even guess close to the figure let alone know what they were about. The vast majority of things are Facebook quotes. Somebody somewhere hears something and posts that this or that is daft and proves the EU is stupid. The truth is there were as many stupid laws being passed by the Government in this country before the EU ever got involved. I doubt that most abide by the laws generally and even fewer are prosecuted for not doing so.

I would suggest the property efficiency certificate was probably intended to go hand in hand with the reduction in global warming stuff that was not just part of the EU but meant to be Worldwide. The very thing infact that Trump is being torn to shreds about right now for tearing up. There again if you think being inconvenienced for having an energy efficient home is a bad thing because it cost you to find out then clearly you think Trump is right and preventing global warming is nothing to do with you just everyone else's responsibility. It may be inconvenient but you can't deny that it isn't a "stupid" law given the sentiment behind it. The Human Rights stuff was never initially intended to assist the bad people and again the sentiment behind it was sound enough. Like a lot of things though it maybe wasn't thought through enough before introduction and then letting a load of legal eagles loose with it to interpret. Judges like philosophers dissect things to the enth degree rather than the spirit with which something was intended.

I will be glad when this election is over. I'm still undecided and my instinct is not to vote for anyone. But, I can't bring myself not to vote because I have always exercised the right and believe we should. I might take a blindfold and pin.

13. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

UK BORDER CONTROL

Questions being asked how it was so easy for Italian/Moroccan Youssef Zaghba to get into the UK.

Italian Police had stopped him travelling to Instanbul in March on a one way ticket....confiscated his passport and mobile phone...on which they found videos and images relating to jihad, including the black Isil flag and a video clip of prisoners in orange jumpsuits being decapitated in a desert setting. Zaghba told Italian Police that he was going to be a terrorist.
    But the Italian national was still able to enter the UK and went on to join Khuram Butt and Rachid Redouane to be part of Saturdays atrocity.

EU security sources said the system should have triggered an alert to border officials when Zaghba entered the UK. Scotland Yard said that Zaghba had not been a Police or MI5 "subject of interest" before the attack.

Khalid Mahmood, Labour's parliamentary candidate for Birmingham Perry Barr who has repeatedly complained over the ease with which jihadists can come and go from the UK, said "Our borders are like a sieve".....Theresa May when Home Secretary dramatically cut the numbers of border staff. " it is easy for jihadists to come in with biometric passports and use the machines at the airports. As I understand it the biometric machines are not linked to the various watch lists being used.

Daily Telegraph Wednesday 7th June.

Things have got to change after the election....being an island it should be easier for us to control our borders than this.....the technology is there but it is no better than the idiot using it.

14. Greenarmyjoe

agreed with the above... makes sense

15. notDistantGreen

If civil servants make errors of judgement, I'm not sure what can be done about it.

16. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

I refer everyone to my previous post about how many times a coach load of older people who were all UK nationals out for a day trip were stopped and checked going and coming back in and out of the UK. There is more interest by the Border Authority on somebody having a pack of baccy too much than security of that border. That's because they are part of the Customs and Excise who can't get past somebody maybe flogging something they haven't charged for.

As for an Italian/Morrocan getting past the borders well no great surprise there. The EU allows for free movement and the Human Rights legislation prevents somebody being detained because we might not like them. The very practice of Judges taking a piece of legislation and talking it to death when it was not intended to allow this sort of thing.

17. Greenarmyjoe

Well, things need to change very soon.. Or it will become the norm.. I think Mrs May will do something about it once she gets back into Number 10 on Friday..
    Once this election is over perhaps we can move forward with the Brexit deal and see what we get/not get from the EU.
    A long slow process... <monster>

18. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Tomorrow....to vote or not to vote that is the question. (sorry)

Have been listening to all the promises that politicians have been making.....hard to believe any of it.

Have not heard too many questions answered that have been asked of politicians....just the party mantra spilling out....with the question asker none the wiser.

More crucifying of the other sides policies than the strength of their own.

Conservatives doing their best to lose an election that was nailed on 50 days ago....Theresa May going from walking on water to splashing about unimpressively in a muddy puddle.

Labour looking on the verge of meltdown 50 days ago....and now looking a lot nearer to challenging an outright Tory majority.

Lib/Dems desperately hoping to pick up a handful of seat....but people not sure if they will.

UKIP going from 4 million votes to near complete meltdown under a leader who has no leadership skills at all....whose voters will probably swap and see Theresa May over the line.

SNP will probably lose a few seats in Scotland....but will still have total dominance....although their leader is boring voters up there with her one subject agenda.

The rest ...who cares about them.

So few interesting people to vote for....just no one with any charisma......Boris only allowed out to play yesterday for the first time.

Jeremy Corbyn has surprised many....you get what you see with Jeremy....30 years of left wing doctrine clings to him....and we are all reminded of it....by his enemies. The man has genuine beliefs....and some of Labours values....of helping the poor and those on the fringes of society have been forgotten in the last seven years.....we now have a thousand food banks in the country....not only used by those out of work....but by poorly paid people in full employment and those on zero hour contracts.

But Brexit is on centre stage and leavers and now many remainders will join forces and vote for the person who has fallen into the job of negotiating our way out of the EU....Theresa May it will have to be.

I don't really need to vote here....Conservatives got over 60% of the total vote.....UKIP came second here.....Lib/Dems were humiliated....they'll want to reverse that tomorrow.

19. Greenarmyjoe

Well its between the two of them now, the rest may as well not turn up.. Ukip may hopefully disappear..

Coral have now may at 20-1 as weeks ago 1-6 .. so the goat has come a long way in those days.. worth a tenner plym...

20. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

You can't fecking resist it can you plym. Everyone else is a pile of rubish except St. Jeremy who is "genuine". You even forget to mention labour within your own constituency. Lib Dems got humiliated. And the Labour party who didn't even come second were...?????? Humiliated perhaps? This bullshit that Labour looks after the poor and those on the fringes of society. Does it bollox. They had years to do something about the plight of the "poor". Take it from somebody with first hand knowledge, they had 12 years to do something about social housing even having promised to do so. They did diddly squat for either. Labour took us into a war on the back of a load of crap information, that's lies to you and me. Maybe we reap the benefits of that debacle now with things happening in Manchester and London. Nope, not their fault it's Mrs May's fault for cutting staff. At least Corbyn didn't agree with the war bit I suppose but his party did.

Here's a theory for you. Does May even want to win this election? Having to sort out the fallout from the exit vote is a poisoned chalice. Do any of them really want to be held responsible for what happens? I cannot see any of them coming out of this with any brownie points. I think I'd rather give the batton to anyone else, whoever is daft enough to take it. If you look at the loads of dumb interviews this time around by both main parties you might just think a conspiracy theory is just around the corner.

Anyway, I was scratching my head on who to vote for tomorrow. I'm not impressed with any of them but you've helped to make up my mind. Thanks........<ok>