1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

General Football Thread

Discussion in 'Norwich City' started by Forgot_My_Lines, Aug 11, 2015.

1. DHCanary

DHCanary Very Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

40 year old Wilbrahamovic with an equaliser against Newcastle today, love to see it!

zogean_king likes this.
  2. Walsh.i.am

Walsh.i.am Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

3. Bure budgie

Bure budgie Well-Known Member

Apparantly they are having to "crowd fund" this to raise £1M,???
    About 1 months wages for top Prem players.
    Typical of football,get the public to put their hands in their pockets,whilst they move into a new £20M mansion and order another super car.

Nigel Stephens likes this.
  4. General Melchett

General Melchett Well-Known Member

The crowd funding is only 10% but you would think that the FA should fund the whole thing. I note Ewan said that the pain was worth it. I'm sure anyone who has played leave alone made a very tidy living out of it would agree. Will it make a difference if you think at the tail end of your life you might be more likely to get dementia and earlier? To a few maybe. But the study would have to have seriously compelling evidence to cause serious modifications to a global game.
    Clearly if there is a clear detrimental effect even with modern balls then anyone who does play will have a choice to make. Enough kids still smoke inspite of the very well published risks so heading a ball will go on.
    I expect however that nannystatism will ensure that it is stopped in organised age group levels, which could lead to less well coached practice, because the kids will need that skill set in what ever level of adult football they find themselves so will no doubt practice anyway.

Bah!

zogean_king likes this.
  5. robbieBB

robbieBB Well-Known Member

IMO, a ban on heading the ball would improve the game; it's foot-ball isn't it? It would certainly improve our defensive stats ........

6. Nigel Stephens

Nigel Stephens Active Member

With sport there are dangers and that is part of the reason why such large crowds or television audiences are attracted surely. Take away heading in football (sorry robbie) and tackling and you diminish the game. They talk about the scrummage in rugby union, boxing is forever in the gutter of opinion and what of cricket because that is a very hard ball, perhaps they could use a tennis ball? Adults must be allowed to make choices, I have no problem with the modern football compared to the old ball with laces but fundamentally sport has to be competitive and allow contact to a reasonable degree.

zogean_king likes this.
  7. General Melchett

If football was better without heading, why do we all not flock to watch 5 aside instead?

Bah!

8. robbieBB

Just imagine the money Sky would have made holding the rights to screen gladiatorial combat at the Colosseum in Rome!
    It would certainly change the game, but for the better IMO. I watch football for the skill displayed, not to witness instances of physical violence. A few years ago I watched a Champions League match between Arsenal and Barcelona; there was plenty of tackling, i.e. winning the ball from an opposition player, but it was done through well-timed ball nicking with the feet. Far from diminishing the game, it introduced a whole new level of appreciation of the skills involved, which as things are barely get noticed amid the usual welter of scything down, barging in the back and flailing arms. When, in the second half, an Arsenal player actually did scythe down a breaking opponent to halt a counter-attack, it seemed completely out of keeping and struck a sour note.
    I agree entirely about adults being allowed to choose, but on condition that it is indeed a choice to be made by adults for themselves and they are properly and fully informed about the risks involved.

9. Walsh.i.am

Forum Moderator

10. Nigel Stephens

Nigel Stephens Active Member

Not sure that we are talking about exactly the same thing here. There was talk (some University type panel) of stopping tackling altogether, i.e. no physical contact at all and no heading. Your point, quite rightly, is about the bad tackles which are reckless and dangerous. Totally agree that these should be properly punished and short thrift given to any offender. But if you can't tackle properly, how do you stop an attack?

11. robbieBB

By taking the ball cleanly without contact with the attacker other than shoulder to shoulder as the rules allow. In the Arsenal v Barcelona match I referred to, the ball was won by a combination of pressing, positional astuteness, pace and good timing. Let's face it, "normal" tackling is what players resort to when out-witted by an opponent. Remember Man Utd's Vidić? It was regularly pointed out how seldom he tackled, a fact which analysts explained as being due to his positional sense and awareness. Inferior players get caught out and resort to tackling -- a case in point being Zimbo's tackle on Kane which resulted in a penalty. That was the outcome of several City failures/errors leaving Kane clean through, until "cleaned out" (as such incidents are euphemistically described).

12. DHCanary

Forum Moderator

Across his career, Maldini averaged 0.56 tackles per game. "If I have to make a tackle, I have already made a mistake".

13. Walsh.i.am

Forum Moderator

14. General Melchett

15. DHCanary

Forum Moderator

Don't think I can see Troy Archibald-Henville there!

16. Walsh.i.am

Forum Moderator

Middlesbrough manager Jonathan Woodgate told BBC Tees:

"If Patrick Roberts stays on the pitch we win the game because he's going to be a great player for us."
    <whistle>

17. Walsh.i.am

Forum Moderator

18. zogean_king

zogean_king Well-Known Member

I think that's a load of BS

carrowcanario likes this.
  19. General Melchett

Not sure I believe all those figures, last season Webber was very proactive in improving terms and rewarding players. Can't believe these aren't out of date. By the same token those wages look affordable even by championship standards so, bankruptcy should be pretty avoidable.

Bah!

20. Canary Spring

Canary Spring Well-Known Member

Pi$$ poor reporting like that should be criminalized.