1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Gerry Gow's Grandson

Discussion in 'Bristol City' started by wizered, Jul 29, 2021.

1. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

The grandson of Bristol City great Gerry Gow makes his debut against Chelsea
    Bournemouth central defender played against the Blues this week to carry on footballing pedigree
    please log in to view this image

Bristol City legend Gerry Gow is a marker for players in the middle of the pitch for the Robins.

Korey Smith, Marlon Pack, Marvin Elliott, Bobby Kellard and Clive Whitehead are all notable box-to-box players for the West Country outfit, but perhaps only Norman Hunter matched the ferocity of Gow in the middle.

City legend Gow played his first game for the club in 1970. He was a member of the side that achieved promotion to the First Division in 1976 before leaving Bristol City aged 28 following the team's relegation to the Second Division in 1980.

And this week saw Gow's grandson make his debut for the Cherries (in this country, see below), where he has come through the youth ranks. His style of play perhaps bears some resemblance, as you can read below.

Indeed Gow used to go and watch Brennan Camp as a young player at Bournemouth. Camp is of course a Scotsman too (having played at U23s level) but one who plays further back, in defence.

To get the lowdown on the member of footballing royalty, as far as Robins supporters go, we asked local reporter Jacob Tanswell for some extra info.

Was it Brennan Camp's debut this week, or is that not quite correct?
    He's featured in all of the pre-season games so far. The first game was against Linense [a Spanish second division side] in Marbella [before Granada and then Chelsea in this country].
    please log in to view this image

Gerry Gow

Give us some details about his background.
    He came into the academy at under-7s and so he's been there a long time. And he started in central midfield, so right now he's very good on the ball and very composed. And then he transitioned into a centre-back, and he's always been very aggressive.

He likes to bully strikers. He's got a very strong mentality. I spoke to someone the other day and they called him a throwback player in terms of his mindset. When I left playing, he turned into a full-back at youth team level, a right-back, because there were concerns about his height. So he wouldn't have been the biggest centre-back but his aggression made up for it.

What happened the other night? When did he come on?
    Jack Stacey got injured and I'm not sure he was expecting to come on but he came on rather quickly. It was difficult for him because he came on and the oldest player on the pitch then was 22.

He came into the firing line a little bit. He was up against Ross Barkley and Ruben Loftus-Cheek but he did well and that wasn't going to faze Brennan one bit. But considering it was basically his first appearance at the Vitality Stadium and against that calibre of opposition he did really, really well.
    https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/grandson-bristol-city-great-gerry-5712780

oneforthebristolcity likes this.
  2. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

If he has inherited half of Gerrys courage, spirit and ability he will be a great player, good luck to hin and god bless his grandad, my generation worshiped him.

3. Jiffie

Jiffie Well-Known Member

I am in touch with Gerry's son Chris, who also at the above game and posted on FaceBook. The Gow family is rightly proud of him.

He was on loan at Weymouth last season.

4. Angelicnumber16

Angelicnumber16 Well-Known Member

That's excellent !

5. invermeremike

invermeremike Well-Known Member

If you wanted footballing genes in your system then Gerry Gow would, by my standards, be the perfect building block. I truly loved watching his commitment even though some of his ferociousness got him in some trouble but you knew nothing but 110% was deemed good enough by him. Good luck to his grandson in his career and perhaps one day he can wear the shirt that his grandfather wore so well.

Angelicnumber16 likes this.