1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Get in touch with supporters

Discussion in 'Chelsea' started by PaulBaaijens, Sep 13, 2013.

1. PaulBaaijens

PaulBaaijens New Member

Hi guys,

First, I will introduce myself. My name is Paul Baaijens, 24 years old and currently living in Nijmegen, The Netherlands. At the moment I am working as a teacher of French at the Over Betuwe College in Elst.

In December 2013 I am planning to stay in London for 5 weeks. My enthusiasm for football is huge. All the clubs in London have my special attention. I would like to be part of this unique culture for a longer period. I have a clear goal: visiting all of the 13 London professional football clubs and getting to know their fanatic supporters. The English football supporter is quite a phenomenon in Holland.

I will write a book about this phenomenon: the London football supporter. I want to find as many supporters as possible (die-hards!) who want to tell me about their club and share their passion with me. I want to compare the London clubs and I would like to know what the club means to the supporters. In my opinion, there is a lot to write about London football.

My questions:

1. Do you guys know (or are you?) a die-hard fan with some good stories about your club for an interview?
    2. Do you know anyone who will meet up before, during and after a game? It's an essential part of my book, going to a matchday with a supporter.
    3. Anything else you can help me with, would be highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your response!

Paul

2. bluemoon2

bluemoon2 Well-Known Member

Bonjour Paul. I've been a Chelsea fan since 1959! I was hauled against my will by a schoolfriend to Chelsea v Everton in 1959 and immediately fell in love with Chelsea and Stamford Bridge. After that, I never missed a game at SB until 1973(my wedding day). A story for your book--The Shed end was the creation of legendary Chelsea fan Mick Greenaway (no.7 on Chelsea all time legends list) we used to hear him chanting all over the ground home and away! He never missed a game and everyone in every stadium could hear him! They even made a West End show about him(Zigger Zagger).
    One summer weekend I was staying in a flat in Torquay with my wife and 2 young kids! Chelsea were on a West Country summer tour
    which took in a game against Torquay United! While my wife was getting the kids ready for bed I went down to the bar downstairs and shared a beer with the only other customer! Suddenly the door opened and hundreds of Chelsea fans piled through the door and it was uncomfortably packed. Suddenly , screaming in my ear , "Zigger, Zagger" was Mick Greenaway! I asked him, "How did the boys get on today?" He turned to one of his mates and said "What was the result today?"---Priceless!! They dont make supportyers like him anymore!

3. PaulBaaijens

PaulBaaijens New Member

Bluemoon, awesome story about Mick Greenaway.. Does he still exist? Any idea how to contact him?
    Love to get in touch to get stories like this and you seem like a proper supporter Bluemoon. Any chance to get in contact when I'm in London?
    My correspondence e-mail is [email protected]

Thanks in advance

4. bluemoon2

bluemoon2 Well-Known Member

Sadly Mick passed away in 1999 at the modest age of 52! He died in poverty! You would do well to Google him where you will find many articles relating to him and the great stories about his involvement as a Chelsea fan (atic)! Good luck!