1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Get in touch with supporters

Discussion in 'Charlton' started by PaulBaaijens, Oct 2, 2013.

1. PaulBaaijens

PaulBaaijens New Member

Hi guys,

First, I will introduce myself. My name is Paul Baaijens, 24 years old and currently living in Nijmegen, The Netherlands. At the moment I am working as a teacher of French at the Over Betuwe College in Elst.

In December 2013 I am planning to stay in London for 5 weeks. My enthusiasm for football is huge. All the clubs in London have my special attention. I would like to be part of this unique culture for a longer period. I have a clear goal: visiting all of the 13 London professional football clubs and getting to know their fanatic supporters. The English football supporter is quite a phenomenon in Holland.

I will write a book about this phenomenon: the London football supporter. I want to find as many supporters as possible (die-hards!) who want to tell me about their club and share their passion with me. I want to compare the London clubs and I would like to know what the club means to the supporters. In my opinion, there is a lot to write about London football.

My questions:

1. Do you guys know (or are you?) a die-hard fan with some good stories about your club for an interview?
    2. Do you know anyone who will meet up before, during and after a game? It's an essential part of my book, going to a matchday with a supporter.
    3. Anything else you can help me with, would be highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your response!

Paul

2. The Kish

The Kish Well-Known Member

Hi Paul

Sounds like a great idea and adventure

I'm not sure I can help you as I'm not really a 'die hard' - for example at the Fulham away FA Cup game I was the only fan who chose not to bounce because of the potentially unsafe temporary structure that was the away stand. Also my 'CAFC' tattoo is only in a size 8 font.

But I wish you all the best and would certainly like to read the book once you're finished!

Kish

3. typical

typical Well-Known Member

Paul just go to the local pubs or better still the liberal, labour or conservative clubs before any match and talk. Just talk to someone, that way if they are boring or full of rubbish you can walk away. If they are interesting then you can pick the cherries. Meeting people tends to lead to embarrassment and they might try and tell you a load of nonsense just to get their name in a book.
    Ps if you meet a bloke around cafc that has thick glasses and a bit of a moustache that most grannies have I suggest you walk away fast.

4. PaulBaaijens

PaulBaaijens New Member

Kish and typical, thanks for your responses.

I do want to find some supporters in advance, because I'll focus on different sorts of supporters and I want to prepare my questions and the interview.
    Offcourse I'll go to the pubs before and after the matches to talk to the supporters, I hope this brings me some good stuff for my book.

So if you could get me in touch with a supporter with a awesome/sad/dramatic story, I want to talk to him for my book.

Planning to visit Charlton vs Sheffield Wednesday the 29th of december, lookin' forward to get back to the Valley after my first time in 2007 (relegationmatch against watford, nil-nil). Still following Charlton and it's always my first team to pick when playing Fifa;)

5. deleted.....

deleted..... Well-Known Member

Paul,

May be worth writing to all the London Clubs because most will have supporters clubs they could direct you to plus (you never know), if they know why you are visiting, you may get a few freebies. It may also be worth trying to get to some non-league matches for the different atmosphere, teams like Welling United (they normally play a local derby against Dartford over Christmas) or Barnet.

6. PaulBaaijens

PaulBaaijens New Member

Hi AllHell,

I already wrote all the major supportersclubs of the London teams. Some are very kind (Leyton Orient) and some are rude (Hammers, Arsenal, Chelsea)..isn't helping me a lot.

I'm also planning to visit matches Non-League and I'll talk to James Doe, you know him? Cray Wandereres, Haringey Borough etc.: if I have the time, I'll visit them..

7. brb

brb Guest

The teacher exchanging email addresses on a public forum has left the building, I'm sure he'll understand. Seen enough on the Wall board.