1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Gigs, Concert and Live Music

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by TheCasual, Jun 12, 2019.

1. tigerscanada

tigerscanada Well-Known Member

I posted this on another thread a few days ago. The attached is just a snapshot of the acts I saw @ L.U.U. over a 4 month period spanning Xmas '69.
    Was there from Aug '65 to Aug '72, the artists giving gigs at the same venue over that period were top notch. I only missed one - and that's because they failed to show up (Velvet Underground)
    I'd say the best times of my life.
    No doubt a few of our older members of the forum attended some of the same gigs as well.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Brings back memories Nights in White Satin. Last time I saw the Moody Blues was in Oct '69 @ Leeds U.U. Sat night hop. They played most of the tracks from "Days of Future Past" - up there as one of the best live performances I've ever seen.
    LUU was brilliant for getting quality acts, and were a favourite venue for many big acts.
    Line-up either side of Christmas '69-'70 is a sampling of the quality. Any wonder I stayed in Leeds for 7 years.
    Happy days.

Oct 4 Fleetwood Mac

Oct 11 Moody Blues

Oct 18 Family

Nov 8 Pink Floyd

Nov 15 Bonzo Dog & Deep Purple

Nov 22 Christine Perfect

Nov 29 Graham Bond Organization/Initiation

Dec 6 Chicken Shack

Jan 17 Joe Cocker

Jan 24 Led Zeppelin

Jan 31 Ten Years After

Feb 7 Small Faces & Keef Hartley Band

Feb 14 The Who….Live @ Leeds

Feb 21 John Hiseman’s Collosseum & Marsha Hunt

Feb 28 Pink Floyd

….

Magic !

Last edited: Jun 14, 2019
  2. tigerscanada

Being cheeky here Duffens, it's Bachman Turner Overdrive. Great band live.:emoticon-0105-wink:

3. tigerscanada

Anyone interested in Beach Boys books may enjoy "Whale Music" - written by an old friend of mine (RIP P.Q.), and loosely based on the reclusive episodes in Brian Wilson's life.

https://www.amazon.ca/Whale-Music-Paul-Quarrington/dp/0679308687

Newland Tiger likes this.
  4. tigerscanada

Me too. You didn't buy it off a **** from Leeds by any chance did you in around '69 ? If the gear box seized up within a couple of days it was mine :emoticon-0100-smile

Sir Cheshire Ben and tigers1970 like this.
  5. tigers1970

tigers1970 Well-Known Member

Recently went to see the very talented hugh Cornwell ( ex stranglers) in Sydney and Canberra,both great gigs,the guy as still got it.....also seen a band from Scarborough called Snatch at the bull and sun in brid couple of weeks ago....they are excellent

6. Ernie Shackleton

Ernie Shackleton Well-Known Member

Can't be too specific about the date but it was 22nd February 1980 according to Google.

I decided against taking a stand against endemic random violence due to the fact that I was sparked out on the pavement at the time.

Newland Tiger likes this.
  7. Mark de Klein

Mark de Klein Well-Known Member

I’ve seen some of the big acts over the years - many sat in a different postcode. Started going back to smaller gigs about 4 years ago. Much more fun! So, moving past Led Zep, Yes, U2, Coldplay et al I have enjoyed Drenge, Colour me Wednesday, Juliana Hatfield, Yonaka, and The Wedding Present recently.

The absolute ‘dogs’ live are Wolf Alice. I have seen them grow from pubs through small venues (The Venue Derby, New Slang Kingston, Deaf Institute Manchester) through to Ally Pally in London, Apollo Manchester and supporting Foo Fighters at the Etihad (OK that was a different post code one!). Here’s a pic I took at my last Wolf Alice gig last December in Manchester. 7102F1E5-8E91-4187-948F-B3C4032FA372.jpeg

Quill and tigers1970 like this.
  8. Quill

Quill Bastard

As I mentioned earlier, I saw Wolf Alice in Brixton last December, about 3 days before Christmas, it might be the best gig I went to, definitely one of the best, it was mega. I was about 5 people from the front, got battered and bruised, got pissed, and it started heavily snowing straight after the gig, which I had gone to with no coat. Great night.

They're so ****ing good live. They'll be headlining Glasto in a few years, I'm certain of it.

Mark de Klein and tigers1970 like this.
  9. The B&S Fanclub

The B&S Fanclub Well-Known Member

I saw the Captain at Knebworth....Weird man! Totally far out...Ice Cream for crow...

charon-the-ferryman likes this.
  10. The B&S Fanclub

Good spot..I loved their hit...'You ain't heard anything yet'....TBH Thin Lizzy were supporting. Phil Lynott was on his fifth comeback tour and the Irish rocker blew BTO off the stage.

tigerscanada likes this.

11. tigerscanada

Loved Lynott & Thin Lizzie, but never saw them live. My main golf partner was studying in Dublin when they were just starting out & says they were a good show every time.

12. spesupersydera

spesupersydera Well-Known Member

Your golf partner was spot on, I saw them a 3/4 times - they were a really tight band, Scott Gorham, John Sykes and Gary Moore were brilliant lead guitarists but, the bass section of Downey and Lynott were the beating heart and soul.

tigerscanada likes this.
  13. originallambrettaman

originallambrettaman Mod Moderator
    Staff Member

I'm sure there's loads I've forgetten and some of these were at festivals rather than specific gigs, but I've seen live - The Clash, U2, Echo & The Bunnymen, Soft Cell, Siouxsie & The Banshees, The Psychedelic Furs, Gary Glitter, Classix Nouveaux, Young Marble Giants, Hazel O’Connor, Altered Images, Vice Versa (who became ABC), Athletico Spizz 80, League OF Gentlemen, Bow Wow Wow, The Damned, The Dickies, The Skids, Stiff Little Fingers, Gang Of Four, Bauhaus, Simple Minds, The Who, Arctic Monkeys, The Higsons, Sisters Of Mercy, The Damned, Killing Joke, The Ruts, Theatre Of Hate, 999, Kasabian, The Enemy, Adam and the Ants, The Adverts, Crass, Poison Girls, Discharge, The Exploited, Eddie and the Hot Rods, John Otway, UK Subs, Barbara Streisand, Elton John, Tom Hingley/Inspiral Carpets, Oasis, The Wombats, Frank Sinatra, Sammy Davis Jnr, The Cure, Ocean Colour Scene, Rod Stewart, Paul Weller, Sade, Angelic Upstarts, Big Audio Dynamite, Style Council, Sting, Culture Club, Billy Bragg, The Communards, Gill-Scott Heron, Elvis Costello, The Specials, Peter Gabriel, Wet Wet Wet, The Proclaimers, McFly, Annie Lennox, Ultravox, Travis and James Brown and the last gig I went to was the Happy Mondays and Peter Hook.

The Clash was the best (at Brid Spa, the last time I saw them in Manchester without Jones, they were poor).

14. tigerscanada

So often the bassist & drummer carry a band, the lead is the cream (e.g. Bruce & Baker, with Eric the peacemaker :emoticon-0100-smile)

spesupersydera likes this.
  15. tigerscanada

The gigs @ Leeds Student Union between the original "Who Live @ Leeds" recording in Feb ' '70 and the reprise in 2006.

I moved to Leeds in the summer of '65 and have yet to compile a list of all the gigs from then up to the start of the list enclosed in the attached programme.
    I came over here in the summer of '72 so missed a lot of great gigs. Fortunately I saw most from '65 to '72 academic years.

https://www.leeds.ac.uk/thewholiveatleeds/assets/TheWhoConcertBooklet.pdf

16. City Man

City Man Well-Known Member

17. Kempton

Kempton Well-Known Member

I'm being a bit pernickety here, but I'm pretty sure you saw The Jam. The Clash at Brid Spa were indeed awesome. I'm gonna guess the Proclaimers were a joy and I somehow missed out on The Specials and was Anabella Lwin as sexy as I imagined?

18. The B&S Fanclub

Great band, I saw them when they had a 17 year old Scottish kid on lead guitar, Brian Robertson, I think. I wonder if he knows Andy?

Last edited: Jun 15, 2019
  19. Sir Cheshire Ben

Sir Cheshire Ben Well-Known Member

I saw The Jam at Brid Spa. I have a recording of the gig on CD. I also saw PW there many years later.

dennisboothstash likes this.
  20. Kempton

Kempton Well-Known Member

Was it the bucket and spade tour? Or the Trans Global Express? I was at both. Saw them twice at Leeds too. The last being the farewell tour. I've seen Weller too many times times to mention, but the first Dalby Forrest gig was truly outstanding. Got to say though, the last album is just boring, or probably it's more that it's just not my thing.