1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Global Warming & Nature Tampering Watch

Discussion in 'Horse Racing' started by Ron, Jan 5, 2020.

1. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Whatever one's views on Global Warming, there appears to be more and more overwhelming evidence that it is beginning to have some disastrous effects in some parts of the World

The latest one I notice is here , regarding the inevitability of flooding from lakes in the Himalayas

It's not the first report I've seen that hints at London being potentially at risk

Feel free to add any other factual reports, regardless of date produced

2. NassauBoard

NassauBoard Well-Known Member

Seriously?

smokethedeadbadger likes this.
  3. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

****ing hell Nass. I'll delete the ****ing thread if it is that annoying

4. OddDog

OddDog Mild mannered janitor
    Staff Member

5. Ste D

Ste D Well-Known Member

Maybe this should be merged with the have a moan thread

Ron and smokethedeadbadger like this.
  6. NassauBoard

what was so amazing is that you are asking for evidence. It’s so clear and stark that you can see it pretty much everywhere you go/look.

7. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I'm not a Global Warming freak Nass and not looking for evidence. Simply thought it might be interesting to see reports on how significant and, in some cases, imminent the effects of some of these occurrences are. For example, how many of us were aware that 5,000 of the largest lakes in the Himalayas were due to burst their natural barriers in the not too distant future. I wasn't aware their were over 5,000 lakes in the Himalayas <doh>

8. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

OK. To display my complete ignorance, I wasn't even aware there were any lakes in the Himalayas <doh>

9. stick

stick Bumper King

I guess if I said that my opinion is that global warming is complete and utter bollocks I should expect a lecture then huh. Planet revolving around its Sun at how many mph and didnt it already have one proven Ice Age?

smokethedeadbadger likes this.
  10. OddDog

Staff Member

More research required.

11. stick

stick Bumper King

Hmmmmmm. So many people in this game that have an agenda.

12. NassauBoard

I believe Stick is talking about Milankovich cycles.

13. mallafets123

mallafets123 Well-Known Member

Whilst climate change is happening such as ice melting etc, i am very sceptical it is down to us and with our current technology and i dont think we can change it much.
    To be honest i dont care much about the topic and the lunatics shouting the world will end in the next decade or two.
    There is big bucks to made in this climate change game though.

Ste D, smokethedeadbadger and stick like this.
  14. Steveo

Steveo Well-Known Member

they have barely started !<laugh>

I agree that not much can be done, basically because some of the worst offenders like China are some of the most populous countries.
    And that is the main problem - the population of the world is now rising scarily fast. So therefore to say you are sceptical that the change is down to us is being rather naïve. The world is having to chop down more and more trees so that there can be more and more cattle for us to eat. End result - more CO2 in the atmosphere = global warming.

15. OddDog

Staff Member

It is all about resource management. With an ever-growing population and ever-dwindling fossil fuels, there needs to be a step change in how we manage our precious energy resources. The move towards renewable energy is rightly being accelerated but we can all make our contributions in small ways. Re-usable shopping bags, for example, will have a massive impact if everyone starts using them instead of taking new plastic bags each shopping trip. Turning lights and appliances off when not in use seems a small step, but if billions of people start doing that world-wide it can make a huge difference. Taking public transport (or even walking) instead of the car on journeys where it makes sense. Reducing the amount of meat we eat. Buying locally produced foods instead of the same products from the other side of the world. All small steps which can make a huge difference at a macro level.

The next "commodity" trend is looking like being water. If the basis of human life ever becomes a trade-able commodity we can all get ready. Especially people who play golf in hot countries ;)

floridaspearl likes this.
  16. smokethedeadbadger

smokethedeadbadger Well-Known Member

Sod that.

stick likes this.
  17. Steveo

Steveo Well-Known Member

it will happen because the price will continue to increase to the point that it becomes unaffordable.

18. smokethedeadbadger

smokethedeadbadger Well-Known Member

I'll cut out veg, salad and fruit to make room for the extra cost on my shopping bill

19. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Sounds like a cue for a war; that will reduce the population. Problem is though, it may send the planet into oblivion

There is no doubt there is Global warming. Can't think of any other explanation for massive glaciers melting away

With all the natural resources being taken out of the Earth, it does make me wonder if it is upsetting the natural balance of gravitation (or whatever it is) that keeps us a safe distance from the Sun. However, although there is no conclusive evidence of the cause(s), the Earth and the Sun are gradually drifting apart. Would that not cool our planet, not warm it up?

Apparently at least five major ice ages have occurred throughout Earth's history with the earliest being over 2 billion years ago And also apparently we are in one at present. if that is the case then we must have had Global Warming at least 5 times before and the present spate may not be any bad thing

The difference between the previous ice ages and Global Warming periods and the present day is that, in the past, the population was much smaller (I presume) and there was no technology to disturb the Earth's resources (unless there were advanced civilisations before us). Who knows whether or not that is significant compared to the natural causes of previous cycles

20. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Don't do that smokey. You need those. Buy the meat in bulk and stick it in the freezer