1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Global Warming & Nature Tampering Watch

Discussion in 'Horse Racing' started by Ron, Jan 5, 2020.

1. Cyclonic

Cyclonic Well Hung Member

From what I've been reading, it appears that there are still some questions to answered on Milankovich's theory. While they certainly look as though they have an effect on the planet over large periods of time, it's probably not enough to fully explain the problems we appear to have given ourselves over the last 150 years.

Energy input from the sun is staying stable, but the amount of escaping heat from Earth is decreasing. It looks as though we're wrapping the planet in a warm CO2 blanket.

2. NassauBoard

NassauBoard Well-Known Member

God. I really should avoid reading this thread!!

however I can’t!!

So a couple of things -

1 - the solutions (note plaural) to this should be simple. We need to plant more forests and we should be charging industry for the pleasure of having these lovely habitats. Good forest planting and management of soil would increase carbon sequestration. https://internationaltreefoundation.org/carbon/

- we need to stop blaming meat eating etc, the cause is more diverse than that, similarly the industrial boom of China isn’t to blame. It is everything we do, driving, eating, buying plastic etc etc. We need to live within our means, but this also needs to be tempered with the reality of it all. I’m happy to reduce my carbon output, but I still like my holidays abroad, the meat I eat and driving my car. However I try to offset this as much as I can by eating local produce (reducing plastic/airmiles) and planting trees.

3. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

<laugh>

4. NassauBoard

5. Janabelle13

Janabelle13 Well-Known Member

Perhaps the main cause is the human race. The world population keeps on rising, is living longer and using up more and more resources.

6. NassauBoard

That is the only cause.

7. Janabelle13

And yet we do nothing to slow or even the increase in world population. I'm not talking about bumping off people over a certain age, more like encouraging fewer babies in the first place.

8. smokethedeadbadger

smokethedeadbadger Well-Known Member

What about sterilising people who keep having children who get taken straight off to them and into care? I worked at a Solicitors many years ago and would see clients who were on their 7th, 8th or 9th kid being taking straight off them and into the system and put up for adoption. They'd never be able to keep one of the children because they were too retarded themselves to look after it or the kid would inevitably end up getting abused, physically, mentally and sexually by a number of men passing through the household. Saw this happen so many times in the 6 years I worked there.

9. Steveo

Steveo Well-Known Member

totally nailed it yet funnily enough this is hardly ever mentioned by the eco warriors.

10. Steveo

Steveo Well-Known Member

trouble is this country has now gone a bit too PC for all that, but yes you are right up to a point.
    I would personally stop all child benefits after the 2nd child - if you want more than 2 then fair enough but you pay for it!

11. Steveo

Steveo Well-Known Member

in the UK and other developed countries the birth rate is about right - don't forget you need to have enough people of working age to pay taxes to support the elderly.
    the problem is in the developing world, therefore there needs to be MORE FOREIGN AID to these countries to help them with this kind of thing.
    of course foreign aid is seen as such a bad thing in this country due to the right wing press...

12. NassauBoard

Why don’t we just cull people when they reach retirement?

13. Steveo

Steveo Well-Known Member

the way the pension age is going up no one will ever reach retirement :biggrin:

14. smokethedeadbadger

This is actually a thing now. Only get child benefit for your first two kids. Been a thing for a year or two now

15. OddDog

OddDog Mild mannered janitor
    Staff Member

Our neighbours here in Berlin have got 6 kids and they get €1323 per month child benefit. Unbelievable Jeff <yikes>

16. smokethedeadbadger

I wouldn't have 6 kids for 10 times that a month!

Cyclonic and OddDog like this.
  17. stick

stick Bumper King

Cull all the ones who cant find the winner of the bumper Greta

18. NassauBoard

or the ones who sod off to Europe and only come back for the festival!

19. Janabelle13

In my local rag over the festive season there was a report on a couple who welcomed their 12th child on Christmas Day. Neither parent works, they live off benefits and moan their house is not big enough. Half the children have behavioural issues but the parents "love having children"...……...

20. Janabelle13

Parents get one rate for the first child and a lower rate for additional children. However if parents split up and have a child living with each of them they both get the higher rate for the first child