1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Gone

Discussion in 'Bristol City' started by Red Robin, Feb 16, 2021.

1. Red Robin

Red Robin Well-Known Member

Spot on Jiffie -Nigel Pearson would put the respect back into the Jersey-would take no nonsense and is a good thinker.

2. Supcon72

Supcon72 Well-Known Member

Can't disagree with a lot of this. Pearson ruffles feathers, no doubt about it, but, he delivers, and has a good history of doing so. I think he's just what we need right now, but just can't see MA signing him off.

Jiffie likes this.
  3. Red Robin

Eddie Howe favourite

Paul Cook second favourite

This would be fantastic news :1980_boogie_down:

Nigel Pearson got to be in there with a shout if he was interested.

4. oneforthebristolcity

oneforthebristolcity Well-Known Member

Personally I think he's an arrogant twat who thinks he's better than he actually is....Can't see it happening myself..

5. Red Robin

Oh dear 100 points when taking LEICESTER TO THE PROMISED LAND - I would love him here certainly would take no messing will have the respect of players.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2021
  6. Supcon72

He is arrogant to a degree, and I think to be successful as a manager, you have to be to a certain extent. My worry with Pearson would be he would clash with too many within the club when things go against him, like SC and GJ. I think he's a better version of Steve Cotterill tactically and ability, but with the same stubborn flaws.

7. Jiffie

Jiffie Well-Known Member

You have just perfectly described Henri Lansbury.

He's entitled to be like that, he has real achievements as a player and a manager.

Red Robin and Supcon72 like this.
  8. Alandicksthegreat

Alandicksthegreat Well-Known Member

Rp don't think we would have been relegated with LJ but we certainly would have with DH.

9. BCFCRob

BCFCRob Well-Known Member

I am really looking forward to the football once we've appointed someone, whoever it is (as long as it's external!). Holden was undoubtedly just an extension of what we had under Lee Johnson in the end, so this presents the first opportunity for a proper refresh of our football in what, 5 years? We're in a crap position but hopefully there is cause for optimism... unless we get Michael Appleton obviously.

Jiffie and oneforthebristolcity like this.
  10. Supcon72

I think 5 years is a bit harsh, certainly 2 years.

11. BCFCRob

BCFCRob Well-Known Member

To be fair I didn't mean that it was all bad, I just mean that the coaching setup, the usual methods and the day-to-day norms will likely not have been changed all that much in that 5 year timeframe. With Holden likely being an extension of that, it's good to have a chance to shake all that up.

oneforthebristolcity likes this.
  12. invermeremike

invermeremike Well-Known Member

Before we start licking our licks thinking about who our new manager will be we need a complete change in ideology from Steve Lansdown and I don't think it will ever happen. It makes me wonder sometimes as to what SL's thoughts really are about the running of the club especially leaving Ashton still in his post.

Angelicnumber16 likes this.
  13. bcfcredandwhite

bcfcredandwhite Well-Known Member

I wish Holden all the best - he deserves a rest after what he and his family have been through.

14. RedorDead

RedorDead Well-Known Member

Holden going was needed, but I do feel sorry for him. To me he was put into a position he would struggle to get into a league 2 club. Yes he signed the dotted line and no doubt picked up a good pay off fee. Even with his contract when he woke up yesterday morning still had 12 months left on it. But he is a victim of whoever’s bright idea of a trial for our club.
    I’ve got this nagging feeling we will win a few now and dipstick Ashton will employ the odd couple as joint head coaches.

15. Jiffie

Jiffie Well-Known Member

I have a nagging feeling that unless a miracle occurs before Saturday, that suddenly transforms our full backs and an even bigger miracle transforms our midfield into something approaching a normal midfield, Barnsley will be our worst nightmare, fighting and physical, just the sort of team we have struggled against for 3 years and with Boro and Swansea away to come and Bournemouth at home, I think it'll be a while yet before we see another win.

As I keep saying if our strikers were actually missing chances I would maybe see light at the end of the tunnel, but somebody will have to remind me what was the last gilt edged chance we missed?

Reliant Robin TC2 likes this.
  16. Red Robin

Howe v Pearson if these guys are interested

Some early names we're hearing include Paul Cook, Michael Appleton and Russell Martin. Our understanding is that the club is looking for a more experienced manager this time, ideally though. Nobody lined up. #BristolCity don't speak to people behind the head coach's back.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2021
  17. Angelicnumber16

Angelicnumber16 Well-Known Member

He'd have to eat a large helping (and have second portions of it too) of Humble Pie and I can't see that happening, unless he withdraws and gives absolute power to MA which may already be the case.
    What Lansdown needs to do is focus on his egg chaser mates and on Hargreaves Lansdown, and let professionals look after the badly overlooked footballing side of things.

18. Red Robin

If Ashton is still controlling the club and he did bring Appleton in the fanbase would be as divided as ever.

Got to get this right this time.

Over to you Mr L don't forget Ashton is playing with your money not his.

Angelicnumber16 likes this.
  19. Angelicnumber16

Angelicnumber16 Well-Known Member

Whenever our Managers job is up for grabs Appleton always gets mentioned because he and Ashton are mates from their time at Oxford together.
    Having said that, if the choice was Appleton or one of our existing coaches, that as far as I can see haven't made a jot of difference to our players ability, for the job - who would you choose ?

20. Red Robin

Neither both not up to the job in hand.

Why don't Ashton piss off to work for Appleton's club If there the best of buddies.