1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Transfer Rumours Good news - contract extension talks

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by notDistantGreen, Nov 19, 2015.

1. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/34867683

Got to be the right thing, let's hope new contracts can be concluded before the transfer window opens. Having fully supported Brent's financial disciplines up to now, I think it would be wise in a business sense as well as a football one to push the boat out a little for these 3 if necessary.

2. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

See, I knew you would spend spend spend eventually notdistant. That's the thing about football isn't it, we all want Argyle to live within it's means given the more recent history but when a bit of success comes then that slightly goes out of the window when we want to preserve it. I say slightly because everything has a limit and nobody has advocated breaking the bank at anytime.

The bottom line is that if the main spine of the team isn't protected and kept we will likely drop away. If we do then any other player of any note not sold will likely get out as soon as possible because the statement of intent, that's no intent at all, will have been made. I think the supporters would not forgive this any longer and a lot of them would follow. As you say notdistant it makes the only business sense there is. This is our season and it's there to be taken and Brent must see the importance of it. The one thing I don't think he is is stupid.

3. notDistantGreen

Those 3 are, if well managed, of proven value. It's a no-brained to keep them if possible rather than having to chance it on replacements in the transfer market. And if we go up, Brent's investment goes up in value too. Would he now want to sell? I'm not sure, I think he's caught the Argyleitis bug....

4. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

That's where we differ greatly notdistant. I don't think Brent is even slightly green in reality. The only thing he sees in talking green at times is his profit at the end of it all. I think if push came to shove he would bin Argyle without a thought if it got too rocky and it was going to cost him.

What he will see is the business point of view which is logical and do what that dictates. He would be a bit bonkers to throw away the opportunity to climb out of this league. You are right in that his investment increases with Argyle's success so it is the only thing that makes any sense. I've said above. if he throws it away I don't think the followers would forgive and forget. We the suppporters who keep Argyle going with our cash through the turnstiles have been more than loyal for a long time now. There is only so much though that anyone will take before giving it up despite their love of the green.

5. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I don't think Brent is not effected to some degree at what is happening this season......we were told no loanee talk until the new year.....but he has responded before the loan window closes this coming week....and Derek Adams has brought in what could be two useful players....when we needed it......ok you can say he is looking after the investment that he has so far made this season....with the end result on Argyle being worth more to him as a Div 1 club.....even saying that it doesn't mean that there is a percentage of Brent that isn't showing a green tint.

6. notDistantGreen

The main thing is surely that everyone has the same objective: to see the club progress. Whether that's because he loves the club or to provide an exit route which leaves him cash positive hardly matters. It's called goal congruence....

The point is that the club now seems to provide a foundation for that progress: a young manager appointed who's signed good players and taken us to the top of the league so that attendances and interest in the club are increasing. That provides confidence that some cash wisely invested now isn't just going to disappear into a blackhole but be a real investment.

7. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

I think the "no loanees now" thing was that Adams knows he has X amount of cash and it was he who didn't want to spend it now. The injury list kind of buggered that up so he has had little choice but to use it. I cannot believe we are that strapped for cash there was nothing left unless the new players brought in are on some sort of fantastic contract already. I think there must be more left for some more in January or we could stuggle then.

8. lyndhurstgreen

lyndhurstgreen Active Member

JB is certainly green tinted- why else would he attend pretty much every home and away match. Trust me he kicks every ball along with the rest of us. The 'budget' is a curious thing- clearly set by the board at the beginning of the season along the terms of ' this is your budget, spend it wisely'-obviously DA did this, so I suspect that the 'unable to afford the loan signing (Hope) meant that he had spent his budget. Presumably (and I dont know the facts) the injuries to Luke and Hartley meant that DA asked for more and was given it to specifically spend in the 'emergency 'loans. Whether that impacts on any activity in Jan remains to be seen but with a club that is operating in the black I suspect that money is available, but only with the correct T&Cs. i.e. I doubt we will spend any money unless it is necessary to replace the 5 that are injured.

9. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

To count his pennies once the takings have been gathered in maybe? Well you did ask. If he's kicking every ball then no wonder we can't string two passes together some days.

I don't believe Adams spent all he was given in one go. But, either explanation is possible and only they know which one if either is right.

10. lyndhurstgreen

lyndhurstgreen Active Member

I just think JB is enjoying the 'sport' and is less of a merciless penny pincher than some may think. Yes, success = more profit for him, but he is genuinely enjoying the good times and hates it when we lose. Not sure how this translates into how much he will continue to invest, (more than you or I) but it sure beats the old days of Dan McCauley who sucked every penny out of the club and only shoved any money into the club when he needed to to.

11. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

No worse than this one lyndhurst. Dan was much maligned by the faithful but without his pennies the club would have gone down the proverbial long ago. He also financed Shilton's side and it was Shilton's own fault when he got chucked given he couldn't keep money and kept trying to borrow some. As for Brent putting in more money than me I have my doubts there as well. I never get any of mine back but bet he does when he leaves. Not convinced he has put any in in the first place either.

12. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

We must admit that Derek Adams spent wisely regarding the five players he bought .......all quality for Div2....maybe also for Div1.......so he could have used all his allowance up....quality before quantity.....and it's paid off.

13. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Don't agree that we had to pay those brought in any kind of fortune. The majority of clubs in the Scots prem don't get the crowds we do and I suspect their budgets are not great. I believe we can compete with most. Don't forget that they would have to be paying ALL of their squad similar sorts of cash and not just a few. I would guess that £2k per week would be the absolute most nearly all of that league would expect to get unless with Celtic. I doubt Wylde, Jervis and Carey were all on that sort of money.

14. Greenarmyjoe

Greenarmyjoe Well-Known Member

That don't seem much in wages.. not worth getting out of bed for :emoticon-0102-bigsm

15. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Nobody would pay me that Joe which is why I don't get out of bed these days.

16. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Speaketh the self employed .

17. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

I see that Millwall have loaned to Bristol Rovers......Paris Cowan-Hall.

18. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Derek Adams will be using the weeks break by going on a scouting trip to Scotland.......that will be the first time he has been back north since he came to PAFC.

Other staff will do a similar job scouting in England.

This is of course looking at the window opening again in the new year......suggests surely that he has been told what cash is available for bringing in new players.....and of course he will be trying to extend existing contracts on some players and on loanee's as well.

19. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

We do need to strengthen the squad numbers as our recent form has shown. You would have to trust Adams with recruitment given his track record so far. Believe we are safer with Carey now who told the Ancient Greens that a further 12 months has been invoked on his contract now after playing the required number of games so we have him for two years not till the summer of next.

20. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Having seen Luke Croll in the flesh on Saturday.....Adams might of hired is first dud player.