1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Goodbye.

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by saintKlopp, Jul 26, 2016.

1. saintKlopp

No, listen. Put the bunting away. I'm not leaving just yet.

Seeing as we've bye-bye threads for Kolo and average Joe, I thought I'd do one for...

please log in to view this image

Martin Skrtel!

Now I know most of you miserable ****ers are glad to see the back of him but I think there's been far too much nastytwattishness written about our Martin. It seems that according to some, you're either the best - or you're ****, and I think this is unfair.
    He's not the greatest, it's true, but he's certainly not the worst either, and his heart and attitude were qualities that we should respect at least. He's one that would go through the proverbial brick wall for the club - head first in his case - and that's something we all like to see usually.
    Anyway, none of us has any control over the talent we're born with, only what we do with it. We bought him, we put him in the team, and he did the best he could and you can't ask for more than that. He forged a good partnership with Agger at times, suggesting that with the right partner he could do ok.
    He's not much of a ball player, and we certainly need to make an improvement, so the move is best for both - but I for one will say thanks for the work he's put in over the years.
    Rafa likes him too.

Zbohom a vďaka Martin Škrtel
    I have to trust Google Translate that this means what I hope it means and not Martin Skrtel is a big fairy or something.

Skrtel on the boat to Turkey.

Anyways - I've said my bit - feel free to show the hate. :)

2. organic red

organic red Well-Known Member

Just got fed up of the backing off, shirt pulling/grappling at set pieces etc. Can't question his commitment over the years.

Ultimately, he has to go if we are to improve as a defence and as a team.

Thanks Skrt's :emoticon-0150-hands

3. DirtyFrank

DirtyFrank Well-Known Member

Hope all the players do well that have left us this summer.

For one reason or other they don't fit with us anymore...I'm not unhappy at any that have left but no ill will.

4. Jürgenmeiʃter

Jürgenmeiʃter Top top top top top flirt

Was looking for Skrtel lookalikes and came across this <laugh>

(Dont know if Sunday Sport has any association with the Scum btw if so get rid)

5. saintKlopp

See, I've never quite understood this argument. Obviously it depends on the circumstances, but sometimes a defender has to back off - he can't just dive in and commit himself all the time or stand rooted to the spot while a tricky forward skins him. Sami used to back off a lot of the time, but the difference was he'd be alert to if the attacker pushed the ball too far and step in quickly. Backing off slows the attack and gives others time to re-group, and imo just has to be done sometimes.
    My criticism of Skrtel was the opposite- he used to commit himself too often for me. He wasn't mobile enough on one-on-ones so ended up fouling too often.
    As for the shirt-pulling, well I wish he wouldn't, but far better defenders than he do it all the time as well.

6. moreinjuredthanowen

I remember the lads debut very well in FA cup.

Anyone else?

like bambi on ice, could'nt pass it 5 yards.

The fact he knuckled down and came to terms with the english game was a testiment to his attitude and professionalism

He never gave us a seconds trouble and was always on time.

When he gets a reference from LFC it will say nice, punctual. <ok>

7. moreinjuredthanowen

I think the point on backing off would be better written as yes on occasions if in any way isolated he will retreat like a pussy. look at martial's debut goal for utd. it came against us cos skertl panicked when he saw this unknown who's meant to have pace take a ball in with back to goal so instead of smashing him over the sideline he backs off... and keeps going til he's in the pen area, can't make a tackle and we lose a goal

I think the biggest issue with him is rather than retreating when needed he pulled the whole line deep with him if any pace was up against him. We would have a massive gap between defnce and attack and he would destroy the whole balance of the side. Its the deep defensive line that was the main issue.

8. organic red

Yeah, I think there is a time for backing off and every defender will have to do it in every match at some point. But, like many technique's in the
    game, there is a way to do it and a way not to do it. Skrt's often let an opponent carry the ball to within 25 or even 20 yds. of our goal and we
    conceded goals as a result. When you are exposed as a defender, sometimes you need to pick your moment to get a foot in or make some sort
    of challenge.
    I just think it was a particularly poor part of his game, and although its sad to see him go in a way, I think its for the best.

9. moreinjuredthanowen

yeah back off but also force wide or on weaker foot.

10. organic red

It always worried me when opponents ran at Skrtel in the last third. Its obviously not easy to defend against fast and tricky attackers, but
    Saints example of Sami H is a good one. Really its the difference between a class defender and an average defender

11. moreinjuredthanowen

yeah... my main thing was starting position.

i don't mind a guy getting isolated or beaten when teams counter but then the starting position is so deep we are in effect playing totally defensive (and this is what happened to rogers who couldn't figure why he was so struggling for a goal)

Klopp drills guys on moving out to cover, moving back. getting shape constantly. I think he will have looked at skertl and said nope... prob only took a couple days to see it.

By contrast Lovern who's not grat is a front foot defender and while he's got real weaknesses klopp has said yes i can use this guy... for now.

12. Milk not bear jizz

Milk not bear jizz Grasser-In-Chief

He had his faults but I think he was too often a scapegoat. Hes nowhere near as bad as many on here would have you believe. Sure, he can be improved upon (and hopefully now we have) but he wasn't that bad.

saintKlopp likes this.
  13. moreinjuredthanowen

fair.

14. DirtyFrank

DirtyFrank Well-Known Member

Maybe...he was bang average, among other bang average players...a recipe to exacerbate each others weaknesses to the max.

It had to be disassembled and he's one of the casualties...rightly so though...

15. InBiscanWeTrust

InBiscanWeTrust Rome, London, Paris, Rome, Istanbul, Madrid
    Forum Moderator

Started iffy. Grew into it but always had annoying faults which didn't like. The backing off thing really grated on me. Always doing it until he got to the 18 yard box where he felt comfortable but by then would allow the forward a free shot or pass from 20 yards out.

I I agree sometimes it's needed, but it's because he knew he didn't have pace or ability to challenge a man 1v1. Now that isn't s problem in a team sitting back and defending their box, and we saw against England for Slovakia, ask him to head and kick away and you won't find many better

16. InBiscanWeTrust

InBiscanWeTrust Rome, London, Paris, Rome, Istanbul, Madrid
    Forum Moderator

Best for everyone he moves on for everyone and wish him well.

17. Zanjinho

Zanjinho Boom!
    Forum Moderator

Gutted this is only about Skrtel :bandit:

18. saintKlopp

So am I.

Zanjinho likes this.
  19. Skylarker

Skylarker PL High Commissioner

Sorry Saint but I cba to read all that.

Skrtel for me was an excellent Club Servant, player of the season and went about 3 years without missing a game.

Love the guy and wish him all the best.

20. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

You can add Sakho to it now :emoticon-0100-smile
    Looks like Kloppo has decided he needs some proper CBs if he wants to challenge for top4.