1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Bristol City FC Every Day

Discussion in 'Bristol City' started by wizered, Dec 1, 2022.

1. AshtonRed

AshtonRed Well-Known Member

Doesn’t seem that good an offer, depends on the details I guess , is it £10m now, or spread over, what’s the sell on details, add ons etc. a bit worrying for me, I’d rather have sold him in the summer, after we’d secured survival. As it is it leaves us short attacking wise, I hope it doesn’t come back & bite us on the bum, the guy from Luton doesn’t look great if I’m honest.

Supcon72 likes this.
  2. invermeremike

invermeremike Well-Known Member

Cash only should have been the deal for Antoine and all this add-ons business is numpty fare in my books. To make it even worse this guy from Luton doesn't look good enough to replace Antoine which makes our transfer dealings like something from a bad reality show. Why do we continue to sell our better players and bring in sub-par replacements? With only a couple of days left in the window is that it for strengthening the team to survive relegation? Only Bristol City would consider this to be good business, but then again someone must consider it "job done".

3. wings-of-a-crow

wings-of-a-crow Well-Known Member

i think we have to be realistic, post covid the market has changed out of recognition,the money just isnt there any more so 10/11 mill is probably about right, 3 years ago maybe 18-20 million but hey ho lets hope we spend a percentage of it wisely.

manxrobin and RedorDead like this.
  4. BrizzleBluebird

BrizzleBluebird Well-Known Member

Looks like you guys are still selling to help balance the books to me.

Could it be a case of sell Semenyo to be able to hold onto Scott for a bit longer?

TBH after watching Semenyo in action for you lot against Swansea the other week, he looked like he was only at about 60% of the player he was a season ago... Could prove to be a decent price in the end if he was starting to slide a little with you guys after his injuries etc?

5. AshtonRed

Good point , he’s built like a brick out house, but could possibly suffer from injuries imo because of his size and how explosive he is,

6. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

7. AshtonRed

There is still money in the PL, their tv money hasn’t decreased. I’m not impressed with the Luton guy, I hope that’s only a rumour. I’d prefer a top L1 young player with scope for improvement. I know we can’t use all of the money, but surely half wouldn’t be unacceptable. For that amount surely you could buy and pay the wages of a top young L1 player with potential

8. RedorDead

RedorDead Well-Known Member

Remember Wilbs? No one was impressed when we was rumoured for him.

9. Red Robin

Red Robin Well-Known Member

Semenyo first interview -hope Nige has something lined up to replace him.

10. RedorDead

11. Supcon72

Supcon72 Well-Known Member

I would agree if they weren’t rumoured to be prepared to spend £22m on a guy from Villarreal who has less than 10 senior appearances to his name. PL clubs just won’t pay big sums for players from Championship clubs

12. bcfcredandwhite

bcfcredandwhite Well-Known Member

wizered, AshtonRed and Supcon72 like this.
  13. AshtonRed

I don’t really see the comparison, Wilbs at least brought experience of playing at a higher level, bearing in mind we were L1 at the time. We’ve just lost a young player who many higher clubs have been chasing for a while, and Bournemouth paid over £10m for, I can’t see this guy we are looking at in any ways replaces Semenyo, do you?

I’d rather see a young PL loanee, remember Tammy?

Last edited: Jan 27, 2023
  14. RedorDead

How many Tammy’s have we had? We was lucky with him and Andy Cole. We’ve also had probably a few more Diony’s over the years as well.
    Don’t think it’s a replacement to Semenyo. Last beast we had before him was Akinbeyo, so shows that sort of player is difficult to find.
    Pearson wants these players that run and run up front. From the sensible posters on OTIB they do rate him. I don’t pay much interest in other teams games but I know they do. So I’m trusting Pearson on this one and if rumours are true it’s 300k outlay.

15. AshtonRed

Equally how many Abrahams have we had? Personally I’d rather have a young hungry player, who’s likely to improve and who’s value is likely to increase, there’s bound to some out there.

16. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

I believe Harry Cornick at 27 would be an ideal player for our set up, he has played though the lower leagues and the Championship, has more than proved himself at all these levels, he is no glory boy but would be a team contributor, his capabilities include operating as a winger or striker, his experience and maturity could give the service or leadership to both the youngsters such as Conway and Bell or the older members of our strike force such as Weimann or Wells.

Adding to that his price would be nominal, his wage structure realistic which all add up to a win win for Bristol City, I agree with ROD I trust Pearsons wisdom and experience on this one and there would still be money in the pot for ans additional player this window possibly or saved for ths summer, if he joins us I can't really see a down side.

17. AshtonRed

If we were safe I’d agree, but I’m not sure we are. We have experience with Wells, at 27 he’s not going to get any better and his goal scoring rate isn’t great this season with 19 starts, 1 goal and 3 assists. Admittedly he’s not going to cost much in comparison, but for me it just doesn’t show much ambition.

edit
    Those seem like similar stats to O’Dowda, who we all criticised for not affecting the game enough. He actually sounds similar to O’Dowda.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2023
    Supcon72 likes this.
  18. Supcon72

3 years ago, you would have been absolutely slating our manager for selling a crown jewel, and replacing him with this calibre of player. Diony anyone……

oneforthebristolcity likes this.
  19. Supcon72

or someone like Clarke-Harris from Posh, an ex gas head I know.
    Also the young lad Whittaker from Swansea who had a cracking start to the season at Plymouth, 9 goals and 7 assists before the Jacks recalled him at the start of Jan

AshtonRed likes this.
  20. realred1952

realred1952 Well-Known Member

Well Bell certainly ap peeled to the eye rang a nice note to recent shortages in front of goal ... do we need to waste money on another "AS" cover?