1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Graeme Swann Retires

Discussion in 'International Cricket' started by smhbcfc, Dec 22, 2013.

1. smhbcfc

smhbcfc Well-Known Member

Graeme Swann has announced his retirement from all cricket - he mentions that he struggles to cope with playing 5 day cricket - and it's towards the end of the game when a spinner is important.

It feels like it's too early for him to go? However he knows his own body better than anyone.

He's been a great player (and character) for England - if it is the end then his record is: 60 tests - 255 wickets at an average of 29.96 - 17 5 wicket innings and 3 10 wicket matches

2. yarco canary

yarco canary Well-Known Member

Rats deserting a sinking ship.

I hope he has to pay his own air fare home.

Where has loyalty to your team gone?

3. BillysStatue

BillysStatue Well-Known Member

Sorry, Swann NOT a great, got most of his wickets against battered and weak opposition ... a coward who couldn't stand up and be counted once teams worked him out ... bye bye you disgrace

4. smhbcfc

smhbcfc Well-Known Member

I've had time to think about this now.

If he was going to retire because he can't last 5 days then fair enough. However, given the circumstances he could have had a quiet word with Flower/Cook and asked them not to pick him in the last 2 tests due to injury - he could then have been in and around the dressing room. Then after Sydney announced his retirement. Like everything else on this tour - a c*ck-up!

5. stopmeandslapme

stopmeandslapme Well-Known Member

Tad harsh.

My memory is terrible, did he retire after being dropped? If so it didn't help with morale, much better if he'd said he would fight to get his place back, show a bit of character.