1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Grandstand Plus Development

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by Plymborn, Dec 14, 2017.

1. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Absolutely yes to that one with any building planned. You know my opinion so you wouldn't expect anything else would you.

2. lyndhurstgreen

lyndhurstgreen Active Member

The current roof is shot to pieces, so a new one is going on, with a 4m extension. This is going to happen, as will the rest of the Grandstand regeneration. There is no delay and all plans are on track for the Grandstand to be be ready for the start of season 19/20.

3. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Pleased to hear it Lyndie.

4. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

There's a picture on Wring Group's (demolition contractor) Twitter feed of the Home Park grandstand. Posted on 28 April.

Sent from my mobile phone - E&OE

5. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

I have just been reading a thread on pasoti regarding the usual love/hate thing with Brent. It receives the normal response from the converted when anyone questions Brent's intentions of investment financially in the club. In short they are shouted down and branded by the love fraternity as being stupid and knowing nothing. This of course implies they know everything which I very much doubt. Even the supposed No.1 fan who thinks he knows all probably doesn't know anywhere near what he thinks he does. Make a point about Brent's building completion record and that gets ignored as being of no relevance. The fact that Brent has promised or announced building for the club previously which has gone the same way as all of the other building projects of course has nothing to do with whether you choose to trust him or not with this one. Brent is held out to be the "saviour" with no mention of anyone else in green doing anything. It was all him don't you know. Perhaps he would reimburse me with my contributions then as he did it all. Maybe he would give back the money from the other sects that provided cash. What he did was lend his name to it and there is no evidence he did much else. But, people aren't allowed that opinion on there. Have to say I have never been one for blind allegiance even if it got me into trouble Service wise sometimes. I don't advocate Brent OUT like some do but I can't see any reason to love the guy and never question anything. He might have the controlling shares in the club but he is only the custodian who will get his money back eventually plus some. We are the rightful owners who have followed and paid in blood, tears and cash for a lifetime. We nearly paid the price previously for not questioning the custodians.

6. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I have been following that thread also....it does send warning bells to me that if you haven't got blind allegiance for the cause and question the status quo then you are a fifth columnist within the ranks of the green army.
    To be looked at as 'Brent out at all cost brigade members' who only want to destroy everything associated with James Brent ...The pasoti clan leaders can only see things in black or white.....if your not for us than you must be against us and your opinion is not worth anything....It is over 5 years since James Brent took over and the opposition has grown into those who have been thrown out of pasoti for daring to have another view....and it has spawned up a rival green supporters website that is trying to rubbish everything or word that comes out of PAFC and pasoti who continually talk about the non-builder Brent who is only interested in developing his pension pot.
    There are good things happening at PAFC....The on field activity has strengthened year by year and we have in Derek Adams a manager who is thriving by being left alone to develop the playing side of the club....and all done on a modest playing budget within the ability of PAFC to not spend what they haven't got.......I can only agree with that approach after the disaster of administration.
    Of course that approach has limitations on the pitch as we have seen in the last month or so ....having recovered from the early season disasters of injuries and self inflicted red cards...we found ourselves in a play-off spot as the season approached it's important stage....only for us again to be hampered by injuries...losing important players every match until it was impossible for us to continue at the level required.
    This of course was just what the Brent haters lapped up and poured scorn on him not supporting the team by digging into his very deep pockets...which of course were a lot deeper than the length of his arms.
    But the one thing that anti-Brent supporters kept reminding us of was his building record of developments in Plymouth and Torquay....which have been continually brushed under the carpet by Brent worshippers on pasoti....saying that the anti-Brent brigade don't understand the complexities of such things. It isn't easy to accept that line of thought all the time...is Brent just unlucky with his developments....his Torquay development seems to have turned into a nightmare....the Ice-Rink development which he is committed to with the Councll...just gets pushed back again and again....we are now told that it is an easy one to do....basically a shed with ice in it and it will be squeezed in at HHP after the Grandstand up grade is finished. Of course the Grandstand up-grade isn't being paid for by Brent but by fellow Director Hallett ( a loan)....although an extra £million is now needed to replace the roof.
    Until Brent has one brick mortared to another one, these concerns will not go away and war amongst fans on the internet will just rumble on....at least Hallett might have more luck than his chairman and this grandstand development will start soon....there will be a year or more of disruption at Home Park with reduced seating availability....which of course will lower PAFC takings during a season that might promise more success on the pitch....we hope so.

7. notDistantGreen

Leaving aside the internecine warfare, all need to recognise two things.

It's a golden rule in business that if you win every bid you enter (whatever form it may take), then you are pricing them incorrectly or accepting terms others won't. Anything over 3 or 4 out of 10 should set the alarm bells ringing. The same must be true of property developments and I expect, buying football players.

Secondly, as Plymborn has said, you have to decide whether football clubs should be run as sustainable businesses or over inflated balloons sustained by the temporary interest of some egotistic tycoon. If you believe the latter, you have to point to tycoons interested in PAFC. I won't hold my breath.

There are times when money needs to put into the system. The grandstand improvement is one and is now underway. Improving the squad after a promotion would be another. However, the club needs to be self sustaining in the medium term and needs to have the capacity to pay its debts back. It's not a charity.

We go over and over this. There are some who can't or won't see the wood for the trees but for me, the club is on the right track.

Sent from my mobile phone - E&OE

8. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

notdistant it has nothing to do with running the club in a sustainable way. I think we all agree that for Argyle to go back to the way that saw it almost fold would be stupid in the first degree. What people question is his record of completing work which is non existent. People are allowed to be sceptical without being shouted down and accused of being all sorts. That is as bad as making out everything he does is wrong. When I see the Grandstand completed then I will believe it has happened but not before. When I see the Ice Rink completed and built then I will change my stance on him and then say he hardly completes anything but he has at least done something. It's called reporting on the facts with proof existing.

9. Greenarmyjoe

Greenarmyjoe Well-Known Member

If we won every job/tender we priced we would not be able to cope, not enough staff. We price accordingly? It is easy to win the lot, but then as you say you are not pricing it correctly.. to low is the main reason for getting all of the work..

I think we are on the right track, eventually. I have no idea how much Brent has or worth, but i never was a fan when he started, but i have grown to like the man. Even tho he has deep pockets... just like me... :emoticon-0102-bigsm:emoticon-0102-bigsm

10. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

They complain across the way about an "anti JB Brigade" and then become the "we love all things JB Brigade". Whatever anyone says about him that is a little bit questioning they leap on and name call the person who has posed the question. Real discussion on an opinion forum isn't it. They then throw in a completely stupid statement themselves like one I've just read. Somebody posted that they didn't believe he had "saved" the club himself but this was done with the help of the fans. That's a bit like the comment I made somewhere above. They then get cried down as being an idiot because nobody else came in a chucked a couple of million on the table to save us. That statement is more stupid than anyone who has questioned Brent could come up with. When exactly was this several million chucked? Answer is never ever in a million years. It is that sort of myth encouraged by the forum that annoys anyone who wants to question him. I also think it was encouraged by the forum ownership that this was the case. I don't dislike Brent at all. I don't advocate anything other than prudence or being careful. I do though have a right to question the man's intentions when he promises something and it doesn't happen. There are some who will have a lot of egg on their face if things do go wrong given their defence of the matter Argyle. If the people who question are wrong they will just be glad they are.

11. Greenarmyjoe

I have no idea about any other argyle site for discussion, never been on them or never wanted to. This is enough for me here. Never a problem,, well now Gat has gone we are all safe.. she may be looking..

She may come back to the prediction league soon, as we have forgiven her for winning when she was in charge, i have never won so i need some tips on how to?? :emoticon-0103-cool:

12. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

I have a look for a buzz or two but have not joined. Sometimes it is worth a look to see what others think so that's about my involvement. A tip for you on predicting Joe. You need either an animal of some description preferably a wild one or the NASA computer system or Pentagon one. Failing that a pin which is about what I use as anything more technical and I'm buggered.

13. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

The only way to win the prediction league is to guess Argyles position at the end of the year and end of season.....all the other weeks just scratch around for 10pts or so and you'll be alright.

14. Greenarmyjoe

Next season. do you want it to be not so many points for the correct positions Plym, then it will be about predicting? But you have to predict the correct position also ?? to be able to win it <double>

15. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Of course not Joe...it's fine as it is.

16. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

It's a bugger of a question Joe. A few less points might be better for position but whichever way you do it I still won't improve.

17. Greenarmyjoe

Well i i will leave it until nearer the time and ask again.

Well did any one watch that Cup final? how boring. The rugby was a lot better at the chiefs..

Booked for twickenham next week, another final for them. Shame Albion cant get sorted out.. That is the rugby and football of Exeter again at the finals same as last season, hope its the same out come :eek::eek:

18. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

My next door neighbour who is a pasty eating janner supports Man U. I overheard him telling somebody he switched the game off after 20 minutes because it was boring. I have to admit to watching most of it but that was to get out of doing yet another job in the garden. I'd already cut two lawns which were mine and a neighbours and done a bit of weeding after painting a wall. There is a limit to my willingness to slave away. It was a boring game and so were the comments from Jose afterwards. His side were bleddy useless going forward and would not have scored had they still been out there. They should have had 10 men following the penalty as well. I still remember Edwards being sent off for us this season for the same thing. According to the pundits he "made an effort for the ball and only missed by an inch or so". Yep course he did. He was nowhere near it. But, I personally couldn't care less which one of them lifted the trophy.

19. notDistantGreen

Apart from the fact Chelsea are where they are due to dirty Russian money......

20. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

And Man City are where they are because.........................(fill in your own answer). And pretty much most of the top clubs in the food chain are where they are because.................(fill in your own answer again).

I might be going a bit out on a limb here and therefore hope no hit man will appear because I've spilled the beans with a theory. My guess is that virtually all very very rich people have done something in their past to earn at least some of their money. Fiddled a book or two, paid their workers peanuts instead of wages, done it off the back of slave labour in poor countries, inherited money their forefathers have stolen in history. You name it most have probably fallen into one of those categories. You seldom get to be very very rich by being nice. Mr A is just one of them.

I'm not a person who thinks people shouldn't be rich as such