1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Grandstand Talk

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by Plymborn, Sep 21, 2016.

1. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Surprised that we have had no comment as yet on James Brent's new approach to replacing the old Grandstand.

So he wants to have a new Grandstand in place as part of the City's 2020 Mayflower 400 Celebrations....suggesting that it could be used as part of the celebration....does that mean a helpful hand from the council to build it ?

2. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I refrained from raising this one when I saw it. You know my opinion before I even say anything so lets just assume I've said it.

I saw a comment that said Brent was intending to leave any disclosure of details about anything, including the design until it's crossed and dotted on every line. Or until it's too late for anyone to stop it or object maybe? Any thoughts on a matchbox size rather than a Grand Stand.

3. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Crossed and dotted ......how long does it take ink to fade away....?

4. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

On the bright side, an intention on the part of the board to inject non-recourse cash to purchase the site and from Brent to move on to develop a new grandstand by 2020, replacing and absolute eyesore which lets the club down badly.

As previously noted, buying the land only makes sense if rents rise rapidly because the club has been promoted at least once, if not twice. Buried within the figures therefore, is an implied commitment, backed by the board's own money, to take the club up.

glass.jpg

5. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

A...........Pessimist.

B...........Optimist.

6. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Thing is notdistant that size matters (ask Mpenza) and unless this Stand is suitable for the proposed rise then it isn't worth having in the first place. At a push 22000 if 25000 isn't on at all. But not 18000 for christ sake unless it can be expanded suitably. That mini size doesn't show much committment to anything. There was a lot of opposition to the previous small suggestion but if he doesn't tell anyone anything until it's almost over then that kills that off and he once again gets to do what he likes without the posibility of intervention. I know it's his club but it isn't morally is it it's our's.

7. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

I see there is to be a new statement on the redevelopment in early 2017 which will contain plans for a project to be completed in 2019.

http://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/ply...n-early-2017/story-29952686-detail/story.html

Hallett continued: "The current plan is more than just refurbishment but it's going to take the core of the old stand.

"I don't think we are at the stage where we are going to knock the whole thing down and make it absolutely brand new.

"Just calling it refurbishment is under-stating the scope of work.

"It will be a very attractive building, I think, when it is completed. It will have conferencing facilities, offices for our staff and it will have facilities for our players.

"It's going to be something between a complete knock-down start again and refurbishment. A major upgrading is probably the good way of putting it.

The big question for me is what will be done with the currently derelict corners of the ground and the old Mayflower stand. The old artist's impression has the corners filled in with what I take it were offices and the entertaining/conferencing facilities and I suppose those may be retained. Any scheme which doesn't somehow put bums back on seats (or feet back on safe standing terraces) in the Mayflower stand area would not be acceptable in my opinion, either on aesthetic grounds or to boost the capacity.

The good news is that this sounds uncontentious in planning terms and relatively low cost for the club. It's unlikely fans who were expecting a rival to the Emirates or the Etihad will be satisfied in a stop-gap solution however.

8. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Sounds a bit of a mishmash development....still taking best part of two years....I'm not sure about this.

9. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Half hearted effort. If a term report it would read "could do a lot better if he applied himself a little more". I'm fed up with commenting on nothing much and this new build/refurbishment is nothing much.