1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Great to have a trophy but let's hope for better things

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by carlthejackal, Feb 28, 2012.

1. carlthejackal

carlthejackal Well-Known Member

It is great to have a trophy after such a long time. Even though it is only the Carling, it is the experience and the feeling of winning a tournament that is important. Like all great teams it is time not to sleep on our laurels but for us to look forward and make sure we achieve our goals.

Like Carra said in one of the papers today, a club of our stature should be playing regular champions league football. We should not be blinded to problems just because we won a trophy.

We can give credit to Cardiff for being tough opposition and in a cup final anything can happen. But they are a midtable championship side and in all honesty they were limited even tough they grafted real hard. I was surprised at how we struggled to break them down and how little creativity we had. It took us until the 110th minute get that second goal. And when they pushed forward we were vulnerable and they scored their equaliser.

Downing had one of his better days. I am still unsure aboput Henderson. He was largely ineffective. So was Adam. I could not understand why Bellamy was not playing because as soon as he came there was a cutting edge to our game. Carroll was again a mystery. In one phase he headed towards Suarez and instead of running towards goal where he would have just passed the ball into the net he just stood there admiring his work.

We are still some way to being a really title challenging side. We may well need a few players in summer as Lawro said. I just hope that we do not think (like some fans here) that we are there or anyway near there.

Arsenal at home will give us a good idea of where we are at. A good win will point us in the right direction and should give us confidence.

2. Red Hadron Collider

Red Hadron Collider The Hammerhead

The Voice of Reason <doh>

3. Jonesey

Jonesey Well-Known Member

You'll get a better idea of where we are in the next 2 league games after that - away at Sunderland & QPR.

These are the games that prospective champions will absolutely walk

4. moreinjuredthanowen

5. DerekTheMole

DerekTheMole Well-Known Member

Who you calling mid-table?! :eek:

We've been stuck to 3rd spot for ages and just a couple of dodgy games putting us to 6th! Which is less mid-table than you!

Anyway on topic I don't think you'll get much more out of this season, but you have a good, young squad and I'm sure you can challenge for more as they develop. Your main problem seems to be that while you have improved from last year, so have others around you.

Best of luck for the rest of the season, I really do hope you can break into the top 4 (if not this season then next) <cheers>

6. Rubadub

Rubadub Well-Known Member

I think sometimes the opposition have be to givin credit for preforming well instead of picking holes in our own preformance, we did'nt play great or anything but Cardiff were amazing at the back and I think any team in the prem would have struggled to score against them defending the way they were.

7. Red Hadron Collider

This ^ <ok> Wed don't want to become like the mancs. Every time they lose, it's not a case of the other team playing well. It's always "We were sh.t". Happens every single time.

8. Sharpe*

Sharpe* Senior Member

Article is bang on. I think most already know where we stand by now though.

Need a hand full of top class players and keep our existing as back up.

9. carlthejackal

<ok>

We had the chance to significantly improve our team with the £50 million Torres money. Unfortunately we spent most of it on Carroll. I know there is no point crying over spilt milk but there must be a few strikers out there who could have done a better job for us for less money. I am also disappointed with Henderson. I only wish Downing would be more consistent for us.

Yes, we need to bite the bullet. If they are not good enough, they should be moved on or used as back up to the first team. The CC is great but missing on CL football for yet another year is depressing.

10. Red Hadron Collider

Just enjoy it for a few days, at least until the crap friendly is out of the way.

Henderson had a bad day last Sunday. He will be a very good player for us. Did you used to give Lucas sh.t as well?

11. carlthejackal

You will notice that I HAVE given Cardiff credit for being tough opponents and playing to their best especially when defending.

However, we shouldn't be blind to our shortcomings. Our creativity and penetration were poor. However well Cardiff played, they are not Barcelona or Real Madrid. The match showed how far we still need to travel to match a team like City. To be blunt, unless we come up to their standards we can forget about the title. And our club SHOULD be about winning or at least challenging for the title.

12. Red Hadron Collider

You mean the team we put out of the Carling Cup over two legs, and deserved to beat at Anfield. That City?

13. carlthejackal

Of course not! Not THAT City...

I mean the City that is beating everyone in sight and whose home record is perfect in the premiership. OK their away record is not that good. But in general they do not struggle to beat teams they should beat. The team that humiliated the mancs in their own ground.

14. premiercru

premiercru New Member

The Carling Cup can be a springboard to more success, AW did not get that. JM did. and KK does

15. Zingy

Zingy #ziggywould

Our character will be tested in the next two weeks where we play Arsenal (H), Sunderland (A) and Everton (H). All very tough fixtures.

16. carlthejackal

<ok>

let's hope so.

17. carlthejackal

We should get at least 7 points out of 9. 2 home wins and draw at Sunderland. If we play to our potential.

18. Red Hadron Collider

OK. Let me make it a little clearer. The Manchester 'City' that we beat over two legs in the semi-final <doh>

19. carlthejackal

I know what you are gettting at.

We did well in the CC and we beat some tough opponents to win the trophy.

However, we have got to acknowledge that we are not playing to our full potential in the PREM. And in that, City ARE the pacesetters (said through gritted teeth). If we match them IN THE PREMIERSHIP then we should be there or thereabouts.

20. Red Hadron Collider

As I said, we deserved to win at Anfield. I was there.