1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Grand Prix thread GULF AIR BAHRAIN GRAND PRIX 2022

Discussion in 'Formula 1' started by ched999uk, Mar 17, 2022.

?

Who will cross the line first?

Poll closed Mar 19, 2022.
  1. Max Verstappen

57.1%
  2. Lewis Hamilton

7.1%
  3. George Russell

7.1%
  4. Sergio Perez

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Lando Norris

7.1%
  6. Daniel Ricciardo

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Charles Leclerc

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Carlos Sainz

21.4%
  9. Fernando Alonso

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Any Other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. ched999uk

ched999uk Well-Known Member

Sounds like red bulls fuel pump issue is a fia standard part! I wonder what they are doing differently?

2. Justjazz

Justjazz Well-Known Member

It did look like and now sounds like they ran out of fuel. Presumably they were burning fuel at too fast a rate, assuming the pump does not regulate that. If so, that would suggest they overperformed in the earlier laps? Again, IF that is the case, they might lose some power in fixing this leaving Ferrari to walk away with this season.
    I was very pleased to see Ferrari get a 1 and 2. Would have been less pleased if it had been Seb though.
    A long way to go.

ched999uk likes this.
  3. ched999uk

There is some talk that the pump isn't picking up from a very low fuel level! Fia gave teams extra hr yesterday to inspect pumps, mcl replaced one. So should be easy fit to add more fuel but that costs lap time! That is if red b can add more fuel. I think virgin racing miscalculated fuel tank capacity and had to stretch the car to fit larger tank in!

Justjazz likes this.
  4. SgtBhaji

SgtBhaji Well-Known Member

We've not had the Ted Kravitz notebook thing over here until this season that I have ever seen.... But here's my question. Is that they biggest load of bullshit fluff ever? It's basically him waking around talking to himself filling time. What a load of cac.

5. SgtBhaji

So just watched him commentate on a Schrawma stands then let Zak Brown stroll by without even attempting to talk to him... What's the point? Utterly awful!

TopClass likes this.
  6. SgtBhaji

It's like Alan Partridge. Is it meant to be like this?

Justjazz and TopClass like this.
  7. TopClass

TopClass Well-Known Member

<laugh>

No, it genuinely is like this every week - but it’s not a piss take - it’s just genuinely how Ted is.

He does look a ****ing pillock in those shorts and sandals at times too doesn’t he.

Strange bloke.

SgtBhaji and moreinjuredthanowen like this.
  8. moreinjuredthanowen

He is very deliberately in the buffoonery.

The guy knows a lot.more than he let's on there. It's like when you watch Clarkson and may and Hammond act the moron on tv.

He likes the shorts and stuff and just good himself to have a babybel cheese to squish to half asked a segment.

I personally find Anthony Davidson far more interesting

9. moreinjuredthanowen

just reviewed the LeClerc camera angle for the battle with verstappen.

2 things occur to me.

first you can see his head turn left and right so quickly checking the mirrors after each corner.

Second I saw leclerc was running 7 gears. Howeve rI might be dreaming but i thought i saw Verstappen was running and 8 speed gear box. Did anyone else see this in the race??

could this explain the closing speed? Well alongside the 4kmph advantage, the slip stream and DRS :)

10. Justjazz

Justjazz Well-Known Member

I didn't but I do wonder if an 8 speed gearbox uses more fuel, likely does unless used in a certain way.

11. DHCanary

DHCanary Very Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

In the full clip, it looks like Leclerc uses 8th on the run up to turn 4?

Maybe it's linked to energy deployment/engine mapping so it makes sense to use 8th in some places/scenarios and not others, or maybe it was a deliberate driving decision to get Verstappen past on the main straight, because he knew he'd have a good chance into Turn 4 with a good run out of Turn 1?

12. ched999uk

For the 2022 season the gearbox rules have been changed. Previous years if you changed a box before 6 races you received a penalty. This year it's you have a pool of 3 gearbox casings and 4 gear cassettes after that it's a 5 place grid drop! Also the gearboxes and cassettes will be homologated till 2025 at the same time as PU's.
    So I wonder if Red Bull have a different philosophy on gear/diff ratios to Ferrari to cope with slowest vs highest speed tracks? Maybe at Bahrain Red Bull didn't get to a high enough speed to need 8th where as the Red Bulls achieved their max speed with 7th? Maybe the Ferrari PU just has more power so could get into 8th but I doubt that as they would all set gear/diff ratio up to achieve max speed possible?
    It will be interesting to see what happens this weekend as I think it's a higher max speed circuit?