1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Haha I have the power to change titles

Discussion in 'Leeds United' started by lifecheshirewhite, May 19, 2019.

1. lifecheshirewhite

For better or worse.?

Player substitutes--have to go out by nearest out of play area, no long walks across the pitch.

Pens- goalkeepers, can no longer jump around and need to keep one foot touching line.

No attacking players allowed in wall at free kicks.

Teams gaining an advantage from accidental hand ball now give away a free kick.

No bounce up after ball put out for injury, just given back to last team who had the ball.

All good ideas if you ask me, what do you think.

Whitejock likes this.
  2. FollowMe&LeedsUnited

FollowMe&LeedsUnited Well-Known Member

Could work out for the better but would have to see it in practice. Why no attacking players allowed in a wall though? That doesn't make sense.

Whitejock likes this.
  3. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

The only worry for me would be when Grealish falls over on the far touch line and has a long walk around the pitch in front of Leeds fans baying for his blood. One idiot running on and ....... Player safety aspect for some players like Keogh etc.

wakeybreakyheart likes this.
  4. Whitejock

Whitejock Well-Known Member

I'd be more impressed if they enforced the rules they've already got. Every season, there's a flurry of new 'focus areas', which only lasts for a few weeks.

What about making players stand 10 yds from a free kick?
    What about a 'keeper only being able to hold the ball 6-8 seconds (I often count out loud 'one thousand, two ..., & have got past 60 many times).
    What about simulation?
    What about tugging shirts?
    What about kicking the ball away? (Only seen Kalvin get booked for that this season, & it was an innocuous one).
    What about no contact in the box at set pieces?
    What about ALL injured players going off the field?
    What about ONLY the referee stopping the game for injuries? (ref Villa goal).

Sometimes these rules are applied, sometimes not. And not just in our games - it's endemic. So why load in more rules when they can't remember the ones already in place?

(And as a matter of interest, does the common practice of standing at the END of a wall count as being IN the wall?).

Last edited: May 20, 2019
  5. Oldsparkey

Oldsparkey Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

From what I've read WJ - "No attacking player shall be within 1 metre of any defending player within the wall"

Whitejock likes this.
  6. Whitejock

Cheers for that, but what constitutes a wall? If I'm defending a couple of feet away from the end of the wall, am I still part of the wall?

7. lifecheshirewhite

Think its to reduce conflict. any corner or free kick near the goal always ends up a bit of a free for all, so I think this is to make it a bit easier for the ref.

8. Whitejock

Thin edge of the wedge. Next they'll consider the wall an obstruction, and obstruction has already been ruled out of the game (to the point that if you're guarding a ball that's running out of the park, you appear to be allowed to shove opponents away with both hands! Which to me is ungentlemanly conduct, but I guess that doesn't exist any more either).

I liked the old rules. They've changed the game to allow nancy boys to play these days. Easy to spot, they're usually rolling around the floor if someone sneezes in their half. Wouldn't have got a game in the playground when I was a lad.

wakeybreakyheart and FORZA LEEDS like this.
  9. Oldsparkey

Oldsparkey Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

To quote -

"The IFAB has approved a rule change which prohibits attacking players - ie those from the team on attacking from the free kick - from being in the wall. Specifically, when there is a wall of three or more players attackers are not allowed within one metre of it."

"Any attacking player found to be less than one metre from the wall when a free kick is taken will be penalised and the other team will be rewarded with an indirect free kick."

10. Whitejock

Doesn't answer my question, though. What is a wall? Do you have to be shoulder to shoulder? Or as I asked, if you're a defender 2 ft off the end of a shoulder to shoulder wall, are you part of the wall?

Also, surely a sharp attacker can line himself up 10 yds from the free kick before there is a wall? So if there was any jostling, he could claim that he did not infringe the rules, as there was no wall there when he took up position?

I can see this being a can of worms, a bit like when the offside rules changed & Big Sam was first to act on controversial tactics that most didn't realise that were within the rules.

FORZA LEEDS and wakeybreakyheart like this.

11. JonnyLosAngeles

JonnyLosAngeles Well-Known Member

One more significant law change, the ball is in play when kicked from a goal kick or free kick inside the area. The ball may be played once it has been kicked even if it has not left the penalty area. Attackers must still be out of the penalty area and at least 10 yards from where the kick is being taken.

12. JonnyLosAngeles

The explanation given by IFAB is as follows:

"Attackers standing very close to, or in, the defensive ‘wall’ at a free kick often cause management problems and waste time."

13. JonnyLosAngeles

Many valid points here.

Regarding injured players - , only applies if the trainer or other team official comes on to attend to the player and if one from each team is injured, they don't have to go off and neither do goalkeepers.

The one that really burns me up is the players picking up the ball after a decision goes to the other team and walking away with it. The laws of the game require a YC, very rarely given in English football or from my limited viewing, any other major leagues/games.

FORZA LEEDS likes this.
  14. JonnyLosAngeles

A few other changes:

- Referee cannot change a restart decision after play has restarted but, in certain circumstances, may issue a YC/RC for a previous incident.

This is to allow the team that was fouled to take a quick restart and for the referee to avoid taking that away from them as he needs to caution the opponent.

- The team that wins the toss may choose to take the kick-off or side of the field.

Previously was side only and other team always got to kick off.

- Dropped ball if the ball touches the referee (or other match official) and goes into the goal, possession changes or an attacking move starts

One sided dropped ball to the team that last touched the ball.

- Regarding penalty kicks the new language is "Goalkeeper must have at least part of one foot on, or in line with, the goal line when a penalty kick is taken; cannot stand behind the line"

So GK can still jump up and down, move side to side.

15. lifecheshirewhite

GK can not be moving or touching the posts

16. FollowMe&LeedsUnited

FollowMe&LeedsUnited Well-Known Member

A minefield no doubt

17. JonnyLosAngeles

Following are the Law changes effective June 1, 2019 according to the IFAB webpage at http://static-3eb8.kxcdn.com/documents/791/171520_110319_IFAB_LoG_changes_and_clarifications.pdf:

"Law 14
    • Goalposts, crossbar and nets must not be moving when a penalty is taken and the goalkeeper must not be touching them
    • Goalkeeper must have at least part of one foot on, or in line with, the goal line when a penalty kick is taken; cannot stand behind the line
    • If an offence occurs after the referee signals for a penalty kick to be taken but the kick is not taken, it must then be taken after any YC/RC is issued"

18. JonnyLosAngeles

Refereeing is the toughest job on the field!

This sentiment has been expressed by numerous managers/head coaches this season.

19. lifecheshirewhite

Like I said must not be moving or touching the posts.

20. brisbane-lion

brisbane-lion Well-Known Member

If the keeper cannot jump around on( or behind) his line, then the striker must adhere to the same rule and not dance around before taking his shot.