1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Happy 40th

Discussion in 'Swansea City' started by Matthew Bound Still Lurks, May 2, 2021.

1. Matthew Bound Still Lurks

Matthew Bound Still Lurks Well-Known Member

Congratulations and best wishes,. although I wasn't there I remember it well, lovely sunny day , fitting an old bedroom carpet into the back of my Mk1 cortina estate with the radio on full . The car's long gone but the memories aren't.

Swansea City secured promotion to the top flight of English football for the first time in their history with a 3-1 victory over Preston at Deepdale on May 2, 1981.
    https://www.swanseacity.com/news/day-promotion-preston-0

2. When Swans are flying

When Swans are flying Well-Known Member

I remember too. I think it was indeed a stunning day weather-wise. Listening to the live commentary on the radio down Nanna/Bampa's in West Cross. We had the window's open and radio blasting so we could hear outside. Me, my late Dad, Bampa, brother and my uncles willing Tosh's Super Swans on..

3. daimungeezer

daimungeezer Well-Known Member

I remember listening on the radio as a youngster, a very exciting day!

4. azzuriswan

azzuriswan Well-Known Member

Remember going up on one of the supporters clubs coaches and being passed by loads of cars with scarves hanging out of windows....don’t think there were any coaches or vans left in the borough...atmosphere was excellent from arrival and most of us were behind one goal with some sprinkled in the two side stands where there were some Blackburn fans supporting PNE whilst their team were down in Bristol. Those fans left early having had radio reports that they were losing and we were winning....took ages to leave the ground at the end obviously as we fans were all mostly in shock knowing we were with the big boys now. Our coach had to make a detour to the local hospital to pick up one of the boys who was taken ill before the game getting back to Swansea after 11pm...still managed a pint or two....

5. 55282

55282 Well-Known Member

Oh what a day
    Oh what a night back here in Swansea
    Oh what a Sunday
    Oh....my head still hurts

Brilliant day out

YJBs